Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » Who's your favorite character from the Matrix films and why ? (Page 3)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Who's your favorite character from the Matrix films and why ?
Bond, James Bond
Member # 1127

- posted      Profile for Bond, James Bond     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Wraith:
Just seen the trailer for Revolutions (went to see Kill Bill): is it me or is there blue sky behind a shot of one of the human hovercraft crashing? It's towards the end of the trailer and was only a very brief shot.

Your not hallucinating. They fly above the clouds to the blue sky.

Have you seen "The Animatrix"? In "Second Rennaissance - Parts 1 & 2" they go into how the Humans "scorched the sky". I had always assumed it was a really severe nuclear winter or something but in the shorts they explain that it was some kind of permanent "dust cloud" (for lack of a better term) that was spread by high flying aircraft.

The Animatrix has got a few really good shorts in it for anyone looking for some backstory on the Matrix.

I think those guys in the Merovingian's house were Vampires, not Wherewolves. At least they were playing a Vampire movie on the TV in the background.

I don't see why that explosion would kill the Twins, I think there still alive. I don't know how you would kill them really. They might be the only opponents Neo couldn't really beat so it would be cool if they faced him in the next movie.

My question is, if Neo is essential to reinserting the code into the Matrix, why do they keep trying to kill him?

--------------------
"You must talk to him; tell him that he is a good cat, and a pretty cat, and..." -- Data
"I will feed him" -- Worf (Phantasms)

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's simple really. He is The One! [Wink]

I defiantly got a Werewolf vibe off of those two, what with the bushy brows, silver bullets and apparently low IQs (or rather AIQ I suppose...) They certainly didn't act like the archetypal vampires we've all come to know.

As for what would kill the Twins, I'm pretty sure that Neo could do away with them the way he did with Smith at the end of the first movie.
Failing that, give that silver bullets work of those other two (whatever they might be) it's possible that the Twins' weaknesses are similarly tied in to the mythology of their personas.
Given that they're Ghosts or Wraiths of some sort, I'm not sure what would work. Maybe three out of work scientists with unlicensed nuclear accelerators on their backs. Or maybe a very short psychic lady with big tinted glasses?

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I need to watch the movie again, but, when I watched it the first time, I assumed the "silver bullet" comment was metaphorical, and she wasn't really firing a (computer simulation of a) bullet made out of silver.
Bond, James Bond
Member # 1127

- posted      Profile for Bond, James Bond     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Reverend:

I defiantly got a Werewolf vibe off of those two, what with the bushy brows, silver bullets and apparently low IQs (or rather AIQ I suppose...) They certainly didn't act like the archetypal vampires we've all come to know.

I have to check up on the mythology. I know some Vampire movies use silver to kill Vampires as well as Wherewolves (Blade for example) but I don't know if that is traditionally a weakness for both. There definately was a Vampire movie on the screen though, with a Vampire chick with big teeth. She didn't seem hairy at least. [Wink]

Yeah, but now Neo knows he can't do that anymore because the fact that he merged with Smith and his code mixed with him as Smith was "destroyed" is what gave Smith his new powers to replicate his program and be free of the Matrix. At least that's what Smith insinuated in the playground before the smackdown.

Failing that, give that silver bullets work of those other two (whatever they might be) it's possible that the Twins' weaknesses are similarly tied in to the mythology of their personas.
Given that they're Ghosts or Wraiths of some sort, I'm not sure what would work. Maybe three out of work scientists with unlicensed nuclear accelerators on their backs. Or maybe a very short psychic lady with big tinted glasses?

LOL, go to the light Trinity. The light is your friend.

--------------------
"You must talk to him; tell him that he is a good cat, and a pretty cat, and..." -- Data
"I will feed him" -- Worf (Phantasms)

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I too need to watch it again, I've heard many people say that the second time a lot of things fall into place that you didn't look for, or were distracted from, the first time around.

I do not believe Anthony Zerbe was the previous prodigy. He's just a trusted leader, chosen for his administrative and unifying skills, most probably.

And cutting down his acting career to "Dougherty" is an atrocity, to be sure.
Why I saw him fighting John Wayne with six-shooters before most Neo-Trekkies (a little wordplay there) were born, dagnappit!

--------------------
"I'm nigh-invulnerable when I'm blasting!"
Mel Gibson, X-Men

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wait - wasn't the whole point of "The One" per resistance mythology supposed to be that Neo was the reincarnation of the previous One? Ergo, the previous guy is dead?

Today is a fine day. I'm getting together with some friends, some alcohol and all the DVD Matrix material - which we're marathoning in chronological order. I'll let you guys know if some enlightenment occurs during this Geekfest. [Smile]

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes 'The One Mk-5' is indeed dead, Morpheus specifically said so in the first movie.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"When he died, the Oracle prophesied his return."

Now... it's almost certain that this event happened well before Morpheus' birth and that he's heard about the prophesy from someone else, or from the Oracle. But it would seem to suggest that at least some people from the previous cycle survive with some knowledge of what happened. For instance, they know that there was a One before and that he died.

I don't think the Twins will be in the third movie, as I've not seen them in any of the previews. However, their do seem to be a good number of bondage freak badguys for Trinity and Neo to fight. I watched the trailer on the Reloaded DVD yesterday and you can seen a bunch of guys running around in harnesses and leather masks... kind of freaky.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

Wraith
Zen Riot Activist
Member # 779

- posted      Profile for Wraith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Your not hallucinating. They fly above the clouds to the blue sky.

That's always reassuring... [Smile]

quote:
Have you seen "The Animatrix"? In "Second Rennaissance - Parts 1 & 2" they go into how the Humans "scorched the sky". I had always assumed it was a really severe nuclear winter or something but in the shorts they explain that it was some kind of permanent "dust cloud" (for lack of a better term) that was spread by high flying aircraft.

Yep, they repeated the Second Rennaissance (both parts) last night. It does make you wonder why the machines never managed to clear up the whatever it is that humans used to scorch the sky. Or build nuclear reactors. [Wink]

--------------------
"I am an almost extinct breed, an old-fashioned gentleman, which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-bitch when it suits me." --Jubal Harshaw

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Now... it's almost certain that this event happened well before Morpheus' birth and that he's heard about the prophesy from someone else, or from the Oracle. But it would seem to suggest that at least some people from the previous cycle survive with some knowledge of what happened. For instance, they know that there was a One before and that he died."

Well, as Neo put it, "the prophecy was a lie". So part of the prophecy was probably "there was a previous One, and he died". Which, technically, is true, but that doesn't mean that anyone remembered it. They need only know of it through the prophecy.

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think the only part of the prophecy that was a lie was the fact that the One returning to the Source was a good thing for the Humans or that it would end the war. It wasn't a prophecy so much as it was a built in set of events that was billed as a prophecy so the Humans would go with the flow. There was always going to be a One because it was an inherent anamoly. That event was given as a prophecy so the Humans would help him do what the machines needed him to do.

Apparently, the events of Reloaded have played out in a similar fashion in the previous loops as well. The Merovingian (I found out what that means by the way) makes reference to having survived encounters with Neo's predecessors, and Smith says "It's happening the same as before."

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Do the Agents know the whole truth? I thought they were simply part of the current Matrix and didn't know any more than to clean up the errors and anomalies that cropped up.

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

PMills
Member # 1009

- posted      Profile for PMills     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks everyone for the speculation - please stick to the original topic : Who's your favorite Matrix character and why ?
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Trinity, because she is sexy and has tight pants and I would like to have it off with her in bullet time and then things would go woooooooooooooooooo!

Like that?

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Or build nuclear reactors."

Who says they didn't? Maybe the machines are just environmentalists with a real knack for exploiting alternate sources of power. B)

--------------------
".mirrorS arE morE fuN thaN televisioN" - TEH PNIK FLAMIGNO

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps