Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » Lucas on Trek and Roddenbarry on Wars? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Lucas on Trek and Roddenbarry on Wars?
Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It had Jar Jar Child Rapist & Murderder.
kmart
Member # 1092

- posted      Profile for kmart     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Axeman 3D:
Actually, one of the main reasons Star Trek: The Slow Motion Picture got made was because of Star Wars, not the other way around. They were talking about a new ST series at the time, then Star Wars came out, became the biggest thing ever and Paramount spotted a bandwagon flying past. They immediately dropped the Trek II series and decided on a film instead, which then became more films, which begat TNG, which begat DS-9, etc... Even if you don't like Star Wars (I know of no one who hates it) you have to thank Lucas and it's success for completely reviving sci-fi films and TV for years to come, particularly Trek.

Not quite. Par had already planned doing a feature back in the mid 70s and then cancelled it when SW released, figuring they were too late. This was PLANET OF THE TITANS, which had Nimoy signed and Phil Kaufman to direct. PHASE 2 was announced AFTER Titans cancelled, and TMP only came about many months later.

EDIT ADD-ON: I've seen a few sources indicating GL inquired about buying the rights to TREK (along with FLASH GORDON) in the early 70s, so he was looking for some SF space franchise to pump his mythology stuff into (oddly enough, Phil Kaufman had some mythology aspects to his Trek try, which leveraged off themes from Olaf Stapledon's FIRST AND LAST MEN, an early SF classic.)

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Whatshisface said: "And of course, Bester owes his career to Davy Jones of the Monkees."

I could imagine Chekov singing "Daydream Believer", I could. Yeah.
*sigh* But then Jack The Ripper would come up from behind and shove that magic cane up hif aff. Game over, try again.

--------------------
"I'm nigh-invulnerable when I'm blasting!"
Mel Gibson, X-Men

WizArtist
Member # 1095

- posted      Profile for WizArtist     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Everyone owes "Forbidden Planet" and Jules Verne.

--------------------
I am the Anti-Abaddon.
I build models at a scale of 2500/1

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And Jesus.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

kmart
Member # 1092

- posted      Profile for kmart     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by WizArtist:
Everyone owes "Forbidden Planet" and Jules Verne.

Yeah, but FP owes both Shakespeare AND Freud bigtime. Could you remake it using Jungian concepts to get away from the Id references? (I wonder if this is what screwed up the planned-for remake in the mid-90s, when they had Kershner signed for it, and later on, when Frank Darabont was going to write and direct?)

As good as FP is (there is a great little cut scene on the Criterion laserdisc of the capt and dr outside the ship at night that plays like vintage Kirk/Bones), 50s color film drives me bugfuck, so it is really hard for me to rewatch the movie.

Also, the line, "you sent your secret Id monster out to destroy them" (paraphrase, but close) is as ripe as anything uttered in the worst of season three TOS, right up there with "brain and brain, what is brain?"

kmart
Member # 1092

quote:
Originally posted by PsyLiam:
And Jesus.

... And Buddha and Allah and Xena and Gabrielle and all the other great mystic leaders ...

--------------------
Achievement is its own reward; pride obscures it.

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i'd like to thank my momma..

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

Prowl Alpha
Member # 1139

- posted      Profile for Prowl Alpha     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
George Lucas was in Beverly Hills Cop III, which is was done by Paramount Pictures, which in turn does Star Trek. There you go.
Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
George Lucas was in Beverly Hills Cop III, which starred Judge Reinhold who was in Fast Times at Ridgemont High, which starred Sean Penn who was in Mystic River which also starred Kevin Bacon!

--------------------
The philosopher's stone. Those who possess it are no longer bound by the laws of equivalent exchange in alchemy. They gain without sacrifice and create without equal exchange. We searched for it, and we found it.

Prowl Alpha
Member # 1139

- posted      Profile for Prowl Alpha     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So George and Kevin are real close then.
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's like you don't even know the game.
Prowl Alpha
Member # 1139

It was supposed to be a joke, that obivously you did not get.
Member # 239

I don't get jokes.
Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*Checks Siegfried's entry* Damnit, I was fo' sho' you were bullshitting there at first.
Not that that will make me watch "Beverly Hills Cop 3" again.

Not even wild horses could drag me away to watching "BHC3" again.
In fact, there's nothing that a hundred men or more could ever do.

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps