Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » Matrix Chonology [Possible spoilers] (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Matrix Chonology [Possible spoilers]
Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We've done our Matrix Marathon, where we tried to watch everything in chronological order. For the record, we watched everything in the following order. Spoilers, probably:

1) The Second Renaissance Parts 1 and 2
2) Beyond
3) A Detective's Story

4) The Matrix

5) Matriculated
6) Program
7) World Record (we skipped this one, actually)
8) Kid's Story
9) Final Flight of the Osiris

10) Matrix Reloaded

As I understand it, the "Enter the Matrix" game runs only slightly before, and then parallel to the events in "Reloaded"... Basically chronicling what Niobe and Ghost are doing when they're not onscreen in the movie. It ends pretty much with the end of the film.

As for the order of the "Animatrix" segments, we decided to play 3 and 4 before the first film because they needed little understanding of the Matrix story arc, and only offered a glimpse into the understanding that the world the charcters were in was not quite normal. The "between" segments required an understanding of how the world works, and while they could have technically gone before the first one as well, we decided that it would be better if we refreshed our understanding with the first movie before dealing with it. And of course the last two deal with events or characters introduced after the first film.

Perhaps the least "placeable" short would be "Matriculated", whose story really had nothing to do with the arc; given the substantially different "look" of both the simulation and the "real" world outside, I'm even willing to bet that the events of this short could have been from an earlier incarnation of the Matrix.

For further background on how the Matrix world works, I've found this page. Any other ones out there that delve into the workings of the Matrix?

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Looks about right to me. Matriculated sucked, though.

According to the DVD extra dealing with the making of the game, you're right. Enter the Matrix starts about two days before Reloaded and then runs with the movie.

I'd love to watch a run through of the game from both characters POV to get that aspect of the story. Anyone know where I can download one?

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You think "Matriculated" sucked???
It was the closest thing to a real Short Movie that they came, IMO.
The CGI is the best of all the shorts, the story has a point (for once), it ends with a glimmer of hope and it bore a close resemblance to the design and choreography in "Aeon Fluxx".
(Edit: Just found out that Peter Chung, who created "Aeon Fluxx", did direct "Matriculated").

If programs can go renegade and set up small empires for themselves, why couldn't a robot change into good? Or not necessarily good, but with a passable conscience.
The obstacles it went through and had to make choices for probably changed its software matrix (no pun intended) on the base level.

--------------------
"I'm nigh-invulnerable when I'm blasting!"
Mel Gibson, X-Men

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just thought it went on way too long and was just all a bunch of flashing lights and psychodelic weirdness. The point of the story was ok... I just didn't like how they got there. But, hey, I'm no expert.

I dug Osiris and the artwork in the one with the haunted house (Beyond?) was top drawer.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

ubermetroid
Member # 729

- posted      Profile for ubermetroid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Enter the Matrix Sucked! Trust me on this, the gamed sucked. The only good part was the hour of extra film.

http://www.thematrix101.com/games/connections.php Here is some info about the story line in the game. [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
"That's the problem with nature. Something is always stinging you or oozing mucous on you. lets go watch tv." - Calvin & Hobbes

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the link. I was just about to ask if there was any way to read the ETM story without playing the (allegedly) crap console-ish game.

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, there's no "allegedly" about it. Chronic constipation is more fun than Enter The Matrix.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Max Pain!

--------------------
".mirrorS arE morE fuN thaN televisioN" - TEH PNIK FLAMIGNO

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Matriculated was my favourite! (along with Renaissance & Osiris of course.)
It must be one of those love it or hate it things.
I guess I liked the idea that the machines are as much individuals as humans are, a theme I suspect will be carried on in Revolutions.
Smith is most certainly not a drone, as I've heard some describe the agents and he never was, as evidenced by his behaviour towards Morpheus in the first movie.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

Poor Ghost. I feel his pain. It's not easy being in love with Trinity.
Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Especially given that if he makes a move, Neo will beat the living crap out of him.

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

Bond, James Bond
Member # 1127

- posted      Profile for Bond, James Bond     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The idea that the Machines are as much individuals as humans are is supported by "Reloaded" as well, what with the Keymaker assisting Morpheus / Neo / Trinity, and the Merovingian's / Persephone's antagonistic yet not in line with the design of the Matrix behavior. All the references to vampires, aliens, etc. are also sentient programs "doing what they aren't supposed to do" according to the Oracle. I haven't got her entirely figured out though. She may just be another form of control as Neo thought or she may be genuinely benevolent and trying to help the human cause. As mentioned previously Smith acted quite outside the norm of an Agent even in the first movie before Neo imprinted his code on him. Especially during the interrogation of Morpheus when he sent the other two agents out of the room.

"Matriculated" was just a bit too out there for my tastes. I can appreciate the intended goal of the storyline but it just seemed kind of silly. Fine, the Machines can have a mind of their own but it becomes infatuated with a human woman after five minutes of sentience? And the weird psychedelic imagery was just a bit too much like the end of "2001" mixed with "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas". At least it introduced us to a new type of Sentinel.

I think the ideas of Machine individuality were explored much more effectively in "Second Renaissance 1 & 2".

--------------------
"You must talk to him; tell him that he is a good cat, and a pretty cat, and..." -- Data
"I will feed him" -- Worf (Phantasms)

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

Well, the programs are definitely individuals. And there are certainly some machines that are too. But I don't know if I buy the sentinels being sentient. But I don't know... people wouldn't want to have children that had no free will or personality. So why would machines create other machines without the same qualities they have?

Hmmmm...

Still didn't like all the tripy weird stuff.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

Bond, James Bond
Member # 1127

- posted      Profile for Bond, James Bond     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, the Sentinels do seem more like "Smart Weapons" then sentient machines, at least in the movies.

At the end of Second Rennaissance Part 2 they do show a machine that looks almost identical to a Sentinel speaking at the UN as if it were sentient. It signs mankinds surrender, then nukes everyone for good measure (makes you wonder why they bothered to sign the document in the first place).

--------------------
"You must talk to him; tell him that he is a good cat, and a pretty cat, and..." -- Data
"I will feed him" -- Worf (Phantasms)

Wraith
Zen Riot Activist
Member # 779

- posted      Profile for Wraith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Or why it asked them first to surrender their flesh. If it'd asked and then got told to sod off and die, I could understand the nuking part. But just straight off? Doesn't make huge amounts of sense.
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps