Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » Matrix Chonology [Possible spoilers] (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Matrix Chonology [Possible spoilers]
Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They were just making a point. And being pissy.
Paladin181
Member # 833

- posted      Profile for Paladin181     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yep... pissy
Bond, James Bond
Member # 1127

- posted      Profile for Bond, James Bond     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In "The Matrix", Smith told Morpheus that "he had to get out" of the Matrix because Humans stink (he could have just suggested some deoderant or a nice cologne but I digress). Yes, I know it was metaphorical stink.

Anyway, that implied to me that perhaps Smith was not purely software but that he might have an actual physical Machine counterpart in the real world. Maybe some of the Machines, not the Sentinels but something else, are the "living" bodies of the programs running in the Matrix itself?

I don't think he believed he could take over a Human body at that point (nor would he want to) so it was my guess that he was just stuck in the Matrix until he captured Morpheus and destroyed Zion and then his "bosses" would allow him to return to his Machine shell on the outside.

--------------------
"You must talk to him; tell him that he is a good cat, and a pretty cat, and..." -- Data
"I will feed him" -- Worf (Phantasms)

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
More likely, I think, is that the Matrix is not the only network protocol they've got running, and Smith wanted to get out of the grungy "Let's simulate physical stuff" part and back to contemplating mathematics and the meaning of life.

I wish the films would have been a bit more concrete about just how the machines were organized, in regards to things like free will. For instance, much of the Animatrix suggests that the machines are a collection of autonomous self-aware entities, some with physical bodies, some without. And yet in the films we hear a lot about programs being summarily deleted when their purpose has been served, which sounds like a way more autocratic (and less anthropomorphic) setup. Someone like the Keymaker seems to be a complete "person," and yet still serves a fairly limited function and exists only while that function is necessary.

In fact, since in Revolutions it seems that the Matrix is the only place that free programs who wish to remain alive/autonomous can go, Smith's desire to leave seems out of place. We never see any other program trying to sneak out, after all, but instead we see them sneaking in from the more ordered and less "human" machine world. Unless Smith was simply eager for oblivion, which is possible, though not the sense I got from his speech, if I recall it correctly.

Bond, James Bond
Member # 1127

- posted      Profile for Bond, James Bond     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
At that point though in the first movie he was a little more rebellious then your average Agent but I don't think Smith was to the point of trying to subvert authority and escape his masters control but just wanted to be away from humans.

You bring up a good point about how there must be other programmed realities for the sentient programs to exist in, it would have been nice to see some of those and the Machine Heirarchy as you pointed out.

Since the buildings in the machine city of 01 seemed to be arranged in fractal based patterns (at least as seen from the air) a realm of pure mathmatical comtemplation would seem like a paradise to a Machine I suppose.

--------------------
"You must talk to him; tell him that he is a good cat, and a pretty cat, and..." -- Data

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Machine paradise: Pong.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Wes
Over 20 years here? Holy cow.
Member # 212

- posted      Profile for Wes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
just a heads up, Matriculated takes place about 50 years after Revolutions
Bond, James Bond
Member # 1127

^^^ Really? I don't remember them saying that in the story. Where'd you hear that from? [Confused]

If so, then the answer to the question posed by the Architect about how long do you think this peace will last is not very damn long apparantly.

--------------------

Wes
Over 20 years here? Holy cow.
Member # 212

- posted      Profile for Wes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Apparently not. It was in an interview with one of the animators about how its in the future, "about 50 years", where times are 'very diffrent'. This was before it even came out.
Bond, James Bond
Member # 1127

Interesting. Thanks.

--------------------

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps