Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » Of the 4 Aliens films made so far, what's your favorite one and why ? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Of the 4 Aliens films made so far, what's your favorite one and why ?
Woodside Kid
Member # 699

- posted      Profile for Woodside Kid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's still a very weird little world, though. According to the footage from the special edition (which was also included in the older LD and DVD releases), the planetoid has a diameter of 1,200 km and a surface gravity of .86g. In order to get that, you need a density of approximately 50 grams per cubic centimeter, or about nine times that of the earth; just what the hell is that world made of, anyway? Maybe Starfleet mines the materials for its warp coils here [Big Grin] .

--------------------
The difference between genius and idiocy? Genius has its limits.

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Compressed iron maybe? Some mineral we've never heard of yet? It's not beyond the bounds of possibility.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Flying Minister
Member # 1177

- posted      Profile for Flying Minister     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just tossing in a couple pennies here.

The first one was great, and I truly enjoyed it. However, out of all four, I prefer the second. It has that balls to the wall all out blood and guts action that I really like.

Kinda reminded me of a video game without the controller.

--------------------
�����
Learn it, know it, live it.

Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Since I'm an old guy, I remember seeing Alien in a packed theatre in St Louis the first week it was out. It was great experience. Lot's of screaming in the audience. I remember thinking of how it carried on the lived-in Star Wars aesthetic to a whole new level. But I was disappointed that we never got a good look at the Alien. If I hadn't read Starlog, I would have had no idea what it looked like.

I saw the second one under similar circumstances. Lots of cheering and screams from the audience. A great roller coaster ride with cool military equipment. I was sitting next to this guy who apologized after the movie because his girlfriend/wife was screaming so much.

I probably like the first slightly better than the second, since I value mood more than action in the movies. But I own both and watch them from time to time. The corporate weasel and the broadly drawn, archtypical Marines get on my nerves a bit. Also, is any one as surprised as I am that Sigourney Weaver was actually nominated for Best Actress for Aliens? The movies don't stand up to logical analysis too well (and the director's cut of Alien mucks it up even more, but who cares.) If the movies do their most important job -- entertainment --I don't worry as much about logic.

Can't say muchabout 3 and 4 other than they bored me to death and I haven't watched them since.

PS: About why the Alien ship in Aliens wasn't putting out a distress beacon. I think there were some effects shots prepared that showed the ship had been damaged/broken up a bit by lava flows/earthquakes.

--------------------
When you're in the Sol system, come visit the Starfleet Museum

WizArtist
Member # 1095

- posted      Profile for WizArtist     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The first movie was a great horror story that happened to occur in outer space. I still think its the best with a close second being the second movie. My only gripe with II is there's a big warship just floating overhead completely unmanned. Just don't seem right.

--------------------
I am the Anti-Abaddon.
I build models at a scale of 2500/1

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by WizArtist:
My only gripe with II is there's a big warship just floating overhead completely unmanned. Just don't seem right.

I thought that too!
Even on Nostromo, most of the crew stayed behind when they investigated an unknown situation.
Besides, the Sulaco is HUGE but has a crew of only the one marine platoon?!?
That doesnt make much sense....are we to believe that each platoon has it's own warship?

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was under the impression that one platoon was all they NEEDED for an investigatory mission, for which all it could be was "a downed transmitter". They didn't go EXPECTING trouble... If they did, I'm sure the Sulaco could support many more (and the excellent but apocryphal ALIENS tech manual supports this).

Of course, Burke could have swindled someone into sending only one platoon, which would be easier to manage with all the infecting he wanted to do...

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think the novel took note of this and explained the lack any extra support onboard being a cost cutting measure.
Still, if they hadn't parked the APC just where the Dropship was going to crash then they would have been just fine (nukes, knives, sharp sticks etc.)

Of course the real reason is drama.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

ZARDOZ
Member # 1064

- posted      Profile for ZARDOZ     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm old enough to have seen all these movies in their original release, I remember 'Alien'Being really something in 1979, but now it just seems like an good remake of '"IT!":The Terror from Beyond Space' (1958) Or I guess it would be a "re-imagining" now.

I always liked Cameron's 'Aliens' best, A very exciting film, with good linkage to the first.

'Alien 3' I fell asleep in the theater during this film, and did'nt care! I saw it a year or so later on video. I thought the settings and story, darkly bland and filled with religious overtones, really broke the story line. It's the 'Star Trek V' of Alien movies!

I have a soft spot for 'Alien Resurrection' though. I liked 'City of Lost Children' and Jeunet's other films, and after #3 it was anything goes, so I really looked forward to this one. I like how strange and scary (and buff) Ripley 8 is in this one. Plus the lovely Wynona Ryder and rest of the cast, cool sets, and a freaky but funny script made it entertaining for me.

I hear there may be a fifth movie coming, I think that's about as nessesary as the Forbidden Planet remake, But I'll go check it out anyhow. [Roll Eyes]

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My favorite is the one with John Hurt where the alien bursts outt of his chest and starts singing "Helo my baby! Hello my honey! Hello my ragtime gaaaal....."

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm probably one of the 0.5% of the population of Sweden who got that joke, since I had watched Loony Tunes in my childhood. *ribbit*

ZARDOZ: "and a freaky but funny script"
This, to me, is the problem with virtually every sequel to an old thriller/horror movie released nowadays.
They have to throw in those stupid slapstick-jokes to try and make up for a movie that is neither thrilling nor horrifying.
It can get really pathetic sometimes, like the Predator running through a bunch of apartments while fleeing from the pinnacle of earth's military resistance (a fat policeman) and the Predator just happens to disturb an old woman watching "Jeopardy"! So she gets the broom out! LOL!!

Let's just say I don't have any high hopes for "Alien vs Predator".
I'll bet that Token Black Soldier #3 (about to die) will grab a Predator's head and give it a nookie.

WizArtist
Member # 1095

- posted      Profile for WizArtist     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So in a WB cartoon "Re-imagined" the guy in the spacesuit disentigrates a building down to the cornerstone and out of the box jumps...... an Alien embryo? [Big Grin]

--------------------
I am the Anti-Abaddon.
I build models at a scale of 2500/1

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Surely someone else here has seen Spaceballs?
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes. But just to make sure we're all talking about the same thing:

The bit in Spaceballs where John Hurt is at the bar (or coffee shop, I forget), and an alien bursts out of his chest is obviously a reference to, er, Alien. The fact that the alien pops out, produces a top hat and cane and starts singing "hello, my baby..." etc is a reference to the frog on the old Loony Tunes cartoons where a, er, frog produces a top hat and cane and starts singing "hello, my baby..."

Everyone together now? Good.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps