Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » Gates here, Gates there!! (Page 2)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: Gates here, Gates there!!
Wes
Over 20 years here? Holy cow.
Member # 212

- posted      Profile for Wes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The thing thats always bothered me is the Beta gate's point of orgin changed after Solitudes.

Ho-hum

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe they relabeled it. Or maybe the gate itself always had the right symbol, and it was just the DHD with the odd one. [Smile]

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"...wouldn't that planet have been rubble long before they started experiencing such severe time dilation?"

Quite.

"Great ep."

Hardly. B)

"...maybe the blackhole was just forming and the event horizon had just moved through their position?"

Erhm, no. An event horizon doesn't "move", it simply marks the distance at which the escape velocity of a black hole equals the speed of light (aka the Schwarzschild radius, which is dependant on the hole's mass). If the planet from A Matter of Time was already that close to the singularity to begin with, the tidal forces would have ripped it apart in mere seconds - and SG-10 right alongside it. Similarly, the gate they dialed in Small Victories still had to have been well outside the EH (ie. in a higher orbit), since matter becomes a string of subatomic particles VERY quickly once it spirals past the SR.

"...the stargate - which is like a tunnel beyond the event horizon"

Stargates can "translate" gravitational effects through a wormhole (which begs the question why people and objects aren't pulled into normal active gates at ~1G), but they can't tunnel beyond event horizons anymore than I can run faster than light.

[ March 07, 2004, 06:23 AM: Message edited by: Cartman ]

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Stargates can "translate" gravitational effects through a wormhole (which begs the question why people and objects aren't pulled into normal active gates at ~1G), but they can't tunnel beyond event horizons anymore than I can run faster than light.

Forgive my ignorance, but... why not?

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"An event horizon doesn't 'move', it simply marks the distance at which the escape velocity of a black hole equals the speed of light (aka the Schwarzschild radius, which is dependant on the hole's mass)."

Sure it moves, for the very reason you just mentioned. As the Mass of the singularity increases, so does the radius of the event horizon. So, if you had some magical object that was unaffected by the black hole's gravity, and you put it just outside the event horizon, then you started feeding mass into the singularity, the magical object would eventually end up inside the event horizon. Therefore, the eventhorizon would have moved, relative to the object.

I'm not saying that that makes Andrew's theory make any sense. Just that it isn't nonsensical for that particular reason.

"Stargates can 'translate' gravitational effects through a wormhole (which begs the question why people and objects aren't pulled into normal active gates at ~1G)..."

Because the direction of the gravitational pull is typically parallel to the surface of the gate? If you connected to a gate that was, for some reason, pointed at the ground, you may very well feel gravity through it. However, I think that the only times they've used a gate that's been laid flat, it's always been pointed up, not down.

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Forgive my ignorance, but... why not?"

Because one of the two gates would need to be positioned inside the SR, and, as I said, nothing there stays in one piece for very long.

"As the Mass of the singularity increases, so does the radius of the event horizon."

Hmm, right. You'd have to feed it a LOT of mass to move the EH any appreciable amount, though. A few star systems' worth at least.

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TSN:
Sure it moves, for the very reason you just mentioned. As the Mass of the singularity increases, so does the radius of the event horizon.
I'm not saying that that makes Andrew's theory make any sense. Just that it isn't nonsensical for that particular reason.

Oh and for a minute there I thought TSN was backing me UP for once... [Wink]

Stargate horizontal has been seen a few times - but things going in... people, wheat etc. Stargate horizontal with things going OUT - i don't think we've seen... and it would be interesting! [Smile] Either up and then they'd land back on the front of the face of the wormhole... or face down... then instead of an iris they could just hang the gate over a pit of sharks.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Such has happened a couple times. Spoilers for seasons 3 and 7!

Once in "A Hundred Days", the gate got knocked over and buried face up. The force of the explosion that caused this liquified some of the surrounding rock into forming a natural iris above the event horizon - allowing the gate to open but nothing to pass through. Carter ended up building a particle beam generator that they fired through to the buried gate, vaporizing just enough of the natural iris to allow the usual "kawoosh" to form, which then vaporized a cavity above the gate. When they sent a MALP probe through, it emerged, then sank right back down into the event horizon and was vaporized. Teal'c ultimately harpooned up into the cavity and drilled his way out from there.

And in the seventh season's "Death Knell", a gate was knocked face down. When they sent the MALP through, it fell right into the excavated hole. Since they'd be going into hostile territory, O'Neill noted that the gate had given them a perfect foxhole. They brought a ladder with them to get out.

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Though, if the probe was destroyed passing back through the wormhole in the wrong direction, how come people can safely wave their arms around in it? And if the wormhole is only one way for most things, where exactly is their arm while they're doing that?
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's like:
"How can McCoy be talking while transporting in STII?"

Answer:
Fuck if I know.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's generally accepted that there is a "buffer zone" in subspace just after you enter the gate, that dematerializes stuff only after most or all of the target object has passed the event hozizon. That is to say, if you stick your arm into the swirly water, you won't immediately have your arm sticking out the other side.

Only after you walk into the gate do you get dematerialized and sent on your way. Exceptions to this occur with things like harpoons and cables, streams of gooey food, etc. Note that when you materialize on the other end, you do so AT the event horizon, not in some buffer zone. That's why stuff can be prevented from reinteegrating by placing an iris just above the swirly stuff.

The same works in the other direction - you can stick stuff partway into this buffer zone (and thus keep the gate open, but only when it enters completely then is it destroyed 'cuz you're going the wrong way. It's been established that stuff exits the gate at roughly the same velocity it goes in, so accidentally falling back into the wormhole isn't likely.

Mark <--- this post could be taken in SO the wrong way

--------------------

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I never understood why-when the SG1 team KNOWS there's a bunch of baddies waiting for them at the gate's terminus- they dont just set up a gatling gun to fire of a few thousand rounds before they go through?

Aside from the TV censors being adverse to showing people reduced to hamburger, that is.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well they send a malp through first... when that comes through one would expect the enemy to take cover for possible incoming fire.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

Some variants of the MALP do have weapons on them. And once, they launched indirect-fire missiles through the gate to disable enemy positions before they went through in force. The missiles would pop through the gate and immediately go ballistic, then come down on the target from above.

Mark

--------------------

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

A biiiig cluster bomb on the MALP would probably be prudent.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps