Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » Gates here, Gates there!! (Page 4)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: Gates here, Gates there!!
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"The 'kawoosh' is NOT part of the wormhole forming, as we know the wormhole can open while the iris is closed."

I always assumed it was just forming in the micro-space between the gate and the iris, and the iris itself was immune to being obliterated by it.

After all, if they knew in the SGC how to turn of the "kawoosh", wouldn't they do it every time they open a wormhole there?

"Besides, seeing as how the gates can accept incoming travelers without a DHD or computer input, it seems fairly logical that it can dial out that way too."

Is the DHD physically connected to the gate? Because, if it's a remote device itself, then it should be obvious that, if you can replicate the signal it's sending to the gate, you don't need it.

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I always assumed it was just forming in the micro-space between the gate and the iris, and the iris itself was immune to being obliterated by it.

Nope, they've stated as much on the show. Kawoosh doesn't form at all, even though the wormhole does. Which begs the question... when Teal'c was trapped in the buffer, why not just activate a wormhole with the iris closed, and open it REAL fast?

After all, if they knew in the SGC how to turn of the "kawoosh", wouldn't they do it every time they open a wormhole there?

Why bother? The kawoosh is apparently the doohickey flushing its pattern buffers, or some such. The SGC did once manage to activate it without such flushing, and without the resulting kawoosh, but it took some hacking with an actual DHD. The gate has control and signal mechanisms that the SGC's computers don't interface with, so while they know it can be done and probably could pull it off if they spent enough time, would it really have any useful purpose?

Is the DHD physically connected to the gate?

Nope, the stargate can be operated by the thing when the gate's completely enclosed in a metal box.

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mark: I've seen episodes past season 1, I just don't own the DVD's yet. Being that they cost about 60 clams each, I'm just taking my time in buying them all.

[ March 23, 2004, 06:57 AM: Message edited by: Aban Rune ]

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, but looking at the precioussss isn't the same as owning itses... [Wink]

Hey, you know what - why don't we have a Stargate forum on Flare? After Trek, it's arguably the most prolific current TV franchise in sci-fi, no? And the past few weeks on these threads haave shown more activity than the Star Wars forum has in months...

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd be up for that. I could post annoying questions such as "Do Jaffa have pubic hair?" and "Where do the iris blades come from?"

Speaking of which... where *do* the iris blades come from?

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jaffa do have pubic hair. They shave their heads for whatever reason - but what they do with their privates is their own damn business. Note multiple observations of Teal'c's armpits over the years.

As for the iris blades, they deploy from a cavity inside the ring. Think of the stargate as a car tire, with the wormhole forming somewhere towards the back rim; the iris mechanism was installed in the cavity where the pressurized air would normally go.

Mark <--- Soo... How do we go about requesting a Stargate forum here?

[ March 23, 2004, 11:12 AM: Message edited by: Mark Nguyen ]

--------------------

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

I was mostly joking... but I was thinking specifically of the female Jaffa that carried Amonet in Children of the Gods (I think Apophys called her "Jaffita" or something...). It showed her tummy and that waistline dipped pretty low...

But I was mostly joking.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, that waistline dipped all the way... on the DVD, anyway. B)
Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

You're talking about Sha're's infamous FFN scene. Ah, Showtime... Such FOX-like behaviour!

Mark

--------------------

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

No... I mean the Jaffa woman who carried Amonet before she drilled a hole into Sha're's neck. She had these low-riders on. Pretty nice.

And when Apophys calls her out of the little side room she's in to come take a look at the Airforce Sergent, he pulls the curtain aside and says what sounds like, "Jaffita, cree!"

Wait a tick... my new tv has closed captioning... I can actually check this out....

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I believe Mark was talking to Cartman, actually.

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sha're - what is cut? Which episode?

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

In the pilot episode "Children of the Gods", during the scene where Sha're is taken over by Ammaunet. In the syndication and video release, they cut her robes off but the camera is cut close and at most we see only her bare backside. In the Showtime and DVD versions - full frontal, baby.

Mark

--------------------

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They just showed the episode where Daniel is dragged around by some alien that's a dead ringer for the one in Enemy Mine.

It was a good episode but did they really think no one would notice?
Even it's movments and mannarisms are the same.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

TheWoozle
Member # 929

- posted      Profile for TheWoozle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
... the Unis?

--------------------
joH'a' 'oH wIj DevwI' jIH DIchDaq Hutlh pagh
(some days it's just not worth chewing through the leather straps in the morning)
The Woozle!

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps