Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » Stargate Atlantis Episode 1 Gallery! (Page 2)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: Stargate Atlantis Episode 1 Gallery!
Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Excellent.... yes....

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hm... Even though we're not supposed to post links for downloading shows, I guess it's okay to post links to the software that lets you do it. Maybe.

And, regarding "Torment of Tantalus"... They did learn to make sure the MALP shows whether or not the DHD is broken. But, if the Atlantis problem is something different, maybe they had no way to forsee it, much less know what to look for with the probe.

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, I'm figuring something like that... I'd just think that under normal circumstances, before they'd send anyone through they'd get the MALP to dial home first to test things. It's got an arm, after all...

As for Atlantis, I'm sure they figured that the city, if it were a fully-powered, would be able to send them back at any time. That, or they'd bring along the snackerdoodle that O'Neil whipped up the first time he was speaking Ancient, and use that to gate home.

Regardless, I'm wondering what, if any reason they're going to give for the Asgard to *not* save them right away. Their ships have the ability to cross from their galaxy to ours in mere minutes, and likewise can travel here and back by just looking at a stargate. Maybe the Pegasus galaxy is too far away? Or has a mysterious energy field? Or all the Asgard were wiped out by the Replicators by now? I'm interested in finding out.

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"That, or they'd bring along the snackerdoodle that O'Neil whipped up the first time he was speaking Ancient, and use that to gate home."

Well, that stopped working after the one use. They weren't really clear on whether it simply ran out of power (it was just running on the power cell from a staff weapon), or if it burnt out and became useless.

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They fixed it the following year, actually - though it took the intelligence of two Carters to do it. Dunno what happened to it afterwards, though, as they may have left it in that parallel universe thing.

Mark

--------------------

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mark Nguyen:
I'd just think that under normal circumstances, before they'd send anyone through they'd get the MALP to dial home first to test things. It's got an arm, after all...

In order for the MALP to dial home, they'd have to first disengage the wormhole. That would cut their communication with the MALP and they would be unable to relay signals to it in order to tell it what buttons to push. I suppose they could pre-program it, tell it to go, then disengage the wormhole. Hey... remember those cool trucks that you could program with a remote and then let loose? Go. Stop. Turn left. Go. Stop. Turn right. Go. Stop.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

machf
Member # 1233

- posted      Profile for machf         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They had caterpillars, right? Hmmm, what were they called? Something with at least one K or Z in it...
Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

I don't know what you're talking about... Teal'c had a caterpillar at one point, but mercifully they got him to shave it off after a few episodes.

Regarding the MALP, they've had two kinds - a treaded probe developed by MIT, and a larger wheeled variety that has since taken over as the primary vehicle. The second class of MALP has a variant that has a seat and a large gun emplacement in turret style, only seen once ("Forever In A Day").

Mark

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

Have they ever shown a DHD activated by anything other than someone's hand? I wonder if it responds specifically to contact with something living? Maybe they couldn't dial with a MALP even if they wanted to.
Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

I've never seen anything else dial the DHD. There have been other ways of activating the Gate, but every time I've seen the DHD used, someone dialed it by hand. Don't know about seasons 6 or 7 though.

What about the episode with the grain harvestors and the Aschen where the Gate laid flat on the ground while the grain was dumped through it? Did that Gate have a DHD or did we ever really see how it was activated?

Speaking of DHDs... I just saw a rerun of "Memento" on FOX this Saturday. At the end when Carter dials back to Earth, we get a clear view of the symbols she's dialing. The 7th symbol that she hits is one of the common symbols on Earth's gate, not a unique point of origin symbol. They even zoomed in on her hand as she hit it. I was disappointed.

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

That's no big deal... They don't always change the keys on the DHD. Fandom has basically accepted that the symbols on the gate are NOT constellations per se, and any resemblance is mostly coincidental - another difference between the movie and series.

"Solitudes" in the first season established that the other gate on Earth had at least two different symbols and LACKED the unique Earth symbol, which itself was ignored later on in the series. Mostly these days, it's accepted that gates are basically identical save for the symbol of origin, and that multiple planets may have had the same symbol of origin common with keys on other gates. Perhps they're created in "neighborhoods" of gates, and the "Mememto" planet was in that same "neighborhood" as Earth...

Mark

--------------------

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

Yah, I know... but what disappoints me is that those are the kinds of details that Stargate is usually pretty good about. The little technical stuff. How expensive would it be to make a new key for the DHD and a new panel for the field prop Gate, which doesn't even turn?

Just think... there could be wesites out there devoted to the points of origin symbols... [Razz]

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

Well...

And...

Mark

--------------------

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

Hmmm... I just find it odd that they bothered to come up with unique symbols for Abydos, 989, and the alternate Earth gate, but no others.

Really, the DHD shouldn't have origin symbols at all. The red ball in the middle should lock the 7th chevron. When they dial the gate from the SGC, encoding the 7th symbol activates the Gate... you'd think the DHD would work the same way.

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

I do find it interesting that they must have had the main cast all memorize the Earth coordinates, because they always dial the same way to go home.
  This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps