Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » Stargate Atlantis Episode 1 Gallery! (Page 4)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: Stargate Atlantis Episode 1 Gallery!
Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry. I meant more along the lines of connecting the power in the DHD (replacing a crystal, turning the on switch, whatever) so that the DHD was active and wirelessly connected to the Gate again.
Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That could be another thing - the gate can obviously be used sans DHD, so what if the DHD is the key to keeping in sync with the gate network? What if, instead of disconnecting the gate from the system to keep the other System Lords from using it, that he did so to keep HUMANS from using it?

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Im guessing that's what happened. He had already seen that the Tauri could only be pushed so far before they went postal. Keeping them frm being able to use the Gate would only be logical. He may have had some other way of dialing it, but he didn't seem to be using the Gate anyway. He arrived aboard a ship. But then, at that point, the Gate was only supposed to go back and forth between Earth and Abydos. But we're ignoring that.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That could be another thing - the gate can obviously be used sans DHD, so what if the DHD is the key to keeping in sync with the gate network?

I think that's a known. The DHD is basically a really nice computer.

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"He had already seen that the Tauri could only be pushed so far before they went postal."

"Humans". I assume we're still talking about the Abydos gate, right? The Tau'ri are specifically the humans who still live on Earth.

Actually, "Tau'ri" started out meaning "Earth", and the humans there were "the people of the Tau'ri". But I don't think that lasted particularly long.

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

Right. He had seen the Humans living on Earth rebel, so he knows that other transplanted Humans would also have the capacity to rise up if pushed far enough or given the opportunity.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TSN:
"He had already seen that the Tauri could only be pushed so far before they went postal."

"Humans". I assume we're still talking about the Abydos gate, right? The Tau'ri are specifically the humans who still live on Earth.

Actually, "Tau'ri" started out meaning "Earth", and the humans there were "the people of the Tau'ri". But I don't think that lasted particularly long.

I think "Tau'ri" referring to the humans from the "First Planet" (as called in one episode) are still called that - the Tau'ri.

At least up to the episodes I've seen... halfway through season 7.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mark Nguyen:
That could be another thing - the gate can obviously be used sans DHD, so what if the DHD is the key to keeping in sync with the gate network? What if, instead of disconnecting the gate from the system to keep the other System Lords from using it, that he did so to keep HUMANS from using it?

Mark

Who is 'He'? Ra?

Well we find out in "Waterworld" - Season 4 I think that the RUSSIANS got the Giza DHD, after WWII. The Germans/Nazis had it from the time the gate was uncovered in 1917?? until the End of WWII. So the GIZA DHD was STILL there.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

Yes, the HE we're referring to is Ra.

Carter said the DHD was missing from the Giza dig, but, yes, that was just as far as she knew. The Russians nabbed the DHD from the Germans (though somehow missed the giant metal ring) and evidently the Americans who got the Gate never knew it existed.

This brings up another little problem: For a least a little while, the Germans had both the Alpha Gate and its DHD. Wouldn't you think someone would have started pressing buttons and lighting chevrons...?

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Huh? The Germans found the DHD *during* WW2, IIRC, and the Russians confiscated it from them after the war. The gate was already in storage somewhere State-side by then, and had been since '28. So how could they have had both?

--------------------
".mirrorS arE morE fuN thaN televisioN" - TEH PNIK FLAMIGNO

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"I think 'Tau'ri' referring to the humans from the 'First Planet' (as called in one episode) are still called that - the Tau'ri.

"At least up to the episodes I've seen... halfway through season 7."

Yes, but, back in season one or two when they first introduced the term, it referred to the planet, not the people. Earth was "the Tau'ri", and its inhabitants were "the people of the Tau'ri". But before long, they started saying "Tau'ri" to refer to the people, not the planet. And that's how they've been using it since.

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

I thought the Germans were the ones that originally found the Stargate in the movie. Then, the Americans would have confiscated it after the war. If they found the Gate, it stands to reason that they found the DHD too. Which means, before the end of the war, they had both.

I could be wrong about that though.

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Unless I'm hallucinating wildly here, the *Americans* found the gate (but missed the DHD) in '28, brought it with them (and experimented on it until the Ernest Littlefield mishap in '4x), and THEN the Germans came along twelve years later and found the DHD (but obviously not the gate, since it wasn't in Giza anymore), brought it back to Germany, and had to surrender it to the Russians after WW2. Mind you, it's been a while since I've seen the movie, so I could be just as wrong. Hmm.

--------------------
".mirrorS arE morE fuN thaN televisioN" - TEH PNIK FLAMIGNO

Wes
Over 20 years here? Holy cow.
Member # 212

- posted      Profile for Wes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Americans find gate in Egypt.
Experiments begin on the gate.

1940s
Gate is activated by chance.
Ernest Littlefield steps though the gate.
Gate program shelved as funds go towards war effort.
Germans discover Dial Home Device (DHD)

Russia confiscates Dial Home Device from Germany following WW2.

Early 1990s
Gate is un-shelved by Catherine Langford, who was present at the gate's discovery as a child.

Gate cover stone is correctly translated by Dr Jackson. A month later, Dr. Jackson deciphers the gate function.
Abydos Mission
Destruction of Ra
O�Niel�s false report shelves the gate program.

Stargate is reactivated, SG1 begins.

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pretty close... The TV continuity actually puts the events of the movie in 1996, about a year before the series premiere - the series was firmly established to be happening in the present day in the second season finale, and in a slightly alternate reality to our own when President Hayes et. al. are slowly introduced as the American government starting in the third season.

Ernest Littlefield went to "Heliopolis" in 1945. Catherine Langford started investigating the gate again shortly after 1969, when a hippie German scientist and his hippie assisstant popped up out of the blue for a short time. [Wink] It was only in the 90s that she managaed to convince the USAF to more properly research things.

BTW, there are two Jacks O'Neil in SG-1. The other one, Jack O'Neill (two Ls), has no sense of humour whatsoever, according to Jack O'Neil (1 L).

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps