Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » Yet another "Stargate" thread... (with spoilers) (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Yet another "Stargate" thread... (with spoilers)
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay, I've just finished watching season seven of "SG-1", and there's something I don't get. The Dr. Elizabeth Weir who was given command of the SGC is obviously supposed to be the same character as the Dr. Elizabeth Weir who's going to be in "Atlantis", yes? So, if they introduced her for the sole purpose of launching the spin-off, why did they have a different actress play her? I mean, isn't that kind of like if the Stargate movie had been made with the primary intention of introducing the show, but they'd still used Kurt Russell for it and Richard Dean Anderson for the series?
Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Steen was cast in The Lost City with the understanding that the producers were planning to spin off her character into Atlantis, and she also had an extended contract up until a few weeks before Atlantis started filming so she wouldn't be scooped up by another job, but then TPTB decided to recast the role (for whatever reason), and her contract expired, so she was replaced with Higginson. Or something.
Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So she goes from outranking General Hammond to being second in command of a single unit? I haven't seen the seaosn yet, so I'm definitely missing some details. Was she just given command for a single episode for some reason, or is Hammond permanently out of the picture?

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

Cartman
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, Weir's a civilian, so she doesn't technically "outrank" anyone, but she only got the position because Hammond was reassigned due to political pressure and president Hayes (introduced in Inauguration) wanted a semi-independent figurehead in his place who wasn't in VP Kinsey's back pocket. She'll be reassigned herself, though, at the beginning of Atlantis, after which O'Neill will take over from her as commander of the SGC.

--------------------
".mirrorS arE morE fuN thaN televisioN" - TEH PNIK FLAMIGNO

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So Hammond's off the series now?

Season 8, I'm guessing, will feature O'Niell as a General and head of the SGC. This jives with RDA's desire to spend more time with the fam. Filling Hammond's role will cut his camera time.

So who will head up SG-1, then? Last time O'Niel needed replacing, they wouldn't let Carter do it. And I can't see her as the head of the team anyway. Are they going to be bringing in a new unit honcho?

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Early spoilers suggest that O'Neil is trying to keep SG-1 as a three-person unit with Carter in charge. That Pierre Bernard segment has Jack call "Colonel Carter", so I'm guessing he has his way.

However, personally I'd have liked to see another person on the unit to maintain the 4-person dynamic in the field. Jonas would have made a nice addition, and Colonel Dixon from last year's "Heroes" (played by "Firefly"'s Adam Baldwin) would have been great too. Then there's always Ferretti, wherever he is now. The actor is almost surely still available - it's not like "Andromeda" is keeping him busy...

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Cartman
Member # 256

And Hammond is indeed out, yes.

--------------------
".mirrorS arE morE fuN thaN televisioN" - TEH PNIK FLAMIGNO

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

Hmmm... well, he's got good reasons... but still. Shoot.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow. First Teryl Rothery and now Don Davis. Plus Anderson's reduced role. If Michael Shanks hadn't come back, I'd say they were well on their way to losing everyone.
Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

Teryl's gone too!? Crap! She's hot. Did they write her character out or did she just mysteriously stop showing up? I guess that means no more Cassandra either...

Her voice is perfect for the commercial she does for those sunglasses.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration

Cartman
Member # 256

Frasier was killed off in the two-parter Heroes.
Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

Damn.
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

"I guess that means no more Cassandra either..."

Well, considering that she's only been in... what, three episodes? Four, maybe?

They didn't specify what was going to happen to her. I suspect they'll probably eventually drop a hint to imply she's living with Carter.

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

I hope that's true. The only reason I mentioned it was because it's already been established (in "1969") that she apparently remains involved with the Stagate program to whatever extent well into old age. She also hinted that Carter would know her when others on the team might not... so hopefully they'll keep that connection there.

Dr. Frasier is married, right?

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Divorced, as explained in "Hathor". As for Cassandra, she never WAS really involved with the SGC save for when she was in trouble. Assuming the 1969 connection can still happen, at some point 40-50 years in the future the SCG will be inactive, the gate otherwise abandoned, and if humans are travelling around the galaxy they're probably using some other way to do it (unless there's another gate active somewhere else on Earth).

OTOH, they *did* show that predestination was not the only paradox that worked in the SG-1 universe when it came to time travel ("2010" and "2001" showed that alternate timelines can exist in this universe), so the future from "1969" may or may not still happen in the principal timeline.

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps