Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » Minor $ - Prisoner of Azkaban (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Minor $ - Prisoner of Azkaban
Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I went to see this movie today with my sister who, in a few weeks, will be moving to Hawaii, and leaving me to freeze my ass of this coming winter. The bitch.

Anyway ... I'd heard negative reviews of this movie from some people I worked with, but I think they were just upset that it wasn't a faithful word-for-word adaptation of the book.

Well, personally, I thought the PoA was a much better film than Chamber of Secrets. I haven't read PoA in at least two years, but the film crew seemed to cover all the major bases, and while some of the secondary characters didn't get as much time as they have in previous films, this film didn't drag as a result (although I did miss John Cleese).

The new director's style (I can't think of his name) is rather sharp, but I did get slightly tired of all the fade-to-blacks that we had to sit through. Anyway, hurrah for PoA! And now I'm left wondering how GoF will be handled ... one film, two film? Eeek! [Smile]

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was really excited to watch this movie, as PoA is my favourite HP-book. But the movie turned out to be a major disappointment.

Some secondary characters only appeared somewhere in the background without speaking lines (Percy, Ginny, Sir Cadogan). Almost no screen time for one of my favourite characters, Prof. McGonagall. No scene at the end with Dumbledore explaining everything to Harry. Important plot points left out like why and how Sirius escaped from Azkaban, why Lupin knew about the Marauder's map, why Harry's patronus was a stag, etc. Instead, new and unimportant things were added like talking shrunkheads, animal imitating, and the toad choir.

But most irritating was the lack of continuity between PoA and the two previous movies. Hogwarts looked way different. The picture of the fat lady was suddenly in the staircase instead of a hallway, Hagrid's cabin and the Whomping Willow were on different places too.

What I liked about the movie were Buckbeak, the Dementors, the Whomping Willow, the scene on the Hogwarts Express, Trelawney, Lupin, and the performance of the actors/actresses in general.

BTW: Why did the innkeeper look like Uncle Fester? [Big Grin]

quote:
I'm left wondering how GoF will be handled ... one film, two film?
God, I so hope for two movies. Maybe it won't feel as rushed as PoA then.

[ June 08, 2004, 02:57 PM: Message edited by: Spike ]

--------------------
"Never give up. And never, under any circumstances, no matter what - never face the facts." - Ruth Gordon

Veers
You first
Member # 661

- posted      Profile for Veers         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I really liked the movie. Especially liked when the Whomping Willow kept "brushing off" for the start of a new season.

--------------------
Meh

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Well, personally, I thought the PoA was a much better film than Chamber of Secrets."

Well, Prisoner was a much better book than Chamber.

"...why Lupin knew about the Marauder's map, why Harry's patronus was a stag..."

Wait, so they didn't go into any of the background about the Potter/Black/Lupin/Pettigrew cabal? There were just people turning into animals all over the place with no explanation?

"The picture of the fat lady was suddenly in the staircase instead of a hallway..."

Well, to be fair, the staircases do move.

As long as we're talking about HP, you can thank Ultra Magnus for this link. Check the picture on the "About Me" page.

Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Wait, so they didn't go into any of the background about the Potter/Black/Lupin/Pettigrew cabal?
Most of it was explained in a rushed and not very detailed way. But as far as I remember nothing was said about Harry's father beeing an animagus too or why they had decided to become animagi in the first place. The true identities of Moony, Wormtail, Padfoot & Prongs weren't revealed either, nor their common history with Snape.

I wouldn't recommend this movie to anyone who hasn't read the book.

quote:
Well, to be fair, the staircases do move.
Yeah, but the entrance to the common room does not.

--------------------
"Never give up. And never, under any circumstances, no matter what - never face the facts." - Ruth Gordon

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
TSN: "As long as we're talking about HP, you can thank Ultra Magnus for this link. Check the picture on the "About Me" page."

What? Is that anyone we know? A Flareite? Or do you just mean he has a lot of HP-stiouvh?

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, God, put a warning there or something! I feel dirty now. That's just really, really twisted and sad.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

quote:
That's just really, really twisted
Especially that last picture (and comment) in the picture section.

--------------------

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Is that anyone we know?"

I fucking hope not.

--------------------
".mirrorS arE morE fuN thaN televisioN" - TEH PNIK FLAMIGNO

Lee
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
He looks like every paedophile I've ever seen on TV news programmes. . .

--------------------

Veers
You first
Member # 661

- posted      Profile for Veers         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I feel I should not look at that link...

--------------------
Meh

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"What? Is that anyone we know? A Flareite? Or do you just mean he has a lot of HP-stiouvh?"

No. The picture just shows that he's a grown man. A grown man who runs a Web site counting down to the eighteenth birthday of a fictional character portrayed by a fourteen-year-old girl.

Toadkiller
Member # 425

- posted      Profile for Toadkiller     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
AHHHHH!!!

Somebody needs to have the FBI show up on that guys doorstep before he accidently wanders outside.

Lee
Member # 393

I did wonder if I could locate the company he supposedly works for - Centripulse Network Systems - yet I can't find anything on Google. Indeed, the only mention of the word 'Centripulse' found was on that About Me page itself.

. . . And probably on this page, eventually, when Google's bots pick it up!

--------------------

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Quickly, call in airstrikes on the Capps mansion, containing this tainted server, before the Vorlon Planetkiller blocks out the sun with its tremendous girth.
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps