Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » The State of Onscreen SF (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: The State of Onscreen SF
Mucus
Member # 24

- posted      Profile for Mucus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmmm, a thought occurs... for once the fortunes of science fiction on either TV or the movies seems to be on a cautious upswing.

Consider:

The upside:

Star Trek : Enterprise seems to have a new producer and has both its episode count and budget reduced. (According to trektoday anyways)
Thus, we've got a bit of a carrot and the stick situation going. Hopefully, we'll get some better writing and if we don't it gets cancelled freeing up a lot of room for other competitors. If it does both....well at least ST will end on a high note.

Battlestar Galactica: This is in production and hopefully it will avoid the traps and pitfalls that Andromeda walked into (and rolled around several times on). I'm at least mildly hopeful because the two pseudo-lead characters (Adama and Roslin) have actors with some sense of dignity ... plus Ron Moore seems to have a pretty good understanding about the pitfalls of ST: Voyager.

Stargate SG-1/Atlantis: Pretty remarkable story-telling and longevity, considering what I initially thought was a pretty limited premise.

Firefly BDM/Serenity: Now, I would have given up anything else on this list for Firefly to be on tv....but beggars can't be choosers. Getting a movie is pretty damn remarkable for a show that only had 14 episodes before it got cancelled and they have the whole cast back too....plus its in production [Smile]

B5: The Memory of Shadows: While I'm pretty skeptical about Babylon 5 in theatres. Hell, I have to be amusied by the thought of my favorite TV show still kicking around. The problem is that B5s main advantage was its long and well-planned story...both which do not translate well to the big screen.
Interestingly enough, TMoS seems to already have some adjunct in development... oh and Rising Stars (the comic) finally looks like its going to be finished.

Farscape: There's already a thread on this, and since I don't know much about it...blah.
I only mention it because that makes three (!) dead shows (Firefly, B5, Farscape) that have been resurrected, seemlingly from sheer force of will.

HGT2G movie: Well, the writer seems like a pretty smart guy. We can always hope...

The downside:

The Matrix was pretty much a failiure and deservedly so. Jeremiah seems to have vanished from the face of the earth (and its a pity too, given the non-presence of post-apocalyptic shows....considering the number of movies that like to depict the end of the world)

We also have to survive the horror of SWIII and I, Robot (which looks like a damn big departure from the books)

In all, the current state doesn't look *too* bad considering how crummy it looked say 6 months ago. (No Firefly, B5, Farscape)

Finally, we have Sliders (1,2 seasons), Futurama (4th season), and even Harsh Realm coming out on DVD in August.

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Isn't Jeremiah still being aired on TMN?
Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mmmm... Kari Wuhrer. But, she didn't show up until Sliders season 3, did she?

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kari and her breasts showed up in the middle of season 3.

I'd consider getting seasons 1 and 2... Those were the only good ones, really.

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Where they seperate entities?

I've forgotten enough of Sliders to most likely find it amusing. If the price is low enough, I may just buy it.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would much rather have My Secret Identity on DVD.
Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
We also have to survive the horror of SWIII and I, Robot (which looks like a damn big departure from the books)
Well at least we already have Bicentennial Man, which felt much more closer to Isaac Asimov's (ironic initials, no?) original material and was a pretty entertaining movie, despite being largly overlooked.

And who cares about Sliders? I lost interest in that after about 10 episodes, which says allot considering I gave Andromeda the benefit of the doubt all the way upto the end of the first season.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Mucus
Member # 24

- posted      Profile for Mucus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Topher:
Isn't Jeremiah still being aired on TMN?

AFAIK, Jeremiah was put on indefinite hiatus after second season. Its effectively cancelled.

Yeah.....I wouldn't suggest watching much of Sliders after Arturo dies and is replaced by Wuhrer. But I'm definitely going to get seasons 1,2 because the show did have a pretty interesting premise and out of sheer nostalgic value [Smile]

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I, Robot (which looks like a damn big departure from the books)

It is an abomination unto my sight. And the writer is doing Foundation, too. I'm just dying to see how he'll screw THAT up.

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
He totally used spray cans to fly.
Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

Actually, the Arturo that died wasn't even the "real" Arturo, was it? I thought that the Arturo from the same Earth as Quinn got left behind and switched with an alternate Arturo in one ep. None of the heros knew it and it was never discovered or brought up again, I don't think.
Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, the real Arturo found out he was terminally ill or something and stayed behind (in a reality that was pretty, uh, non-alternate for an alternate reality, at that). Which is where I quit watching the whole sorry mess, so I'm blissfully in the dark as to what happened after that.

--------------------
".mirrorS arE morE fuN thaN televisioN" - TEH PNIK FLAMIGNO

Member # 239

And he hung out in that guy's garage.
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I thought that they never said which Arturo went with the gang in "Post Traumatic Slide Syndrome" (I can't believe I remember the episode title). Trome said that he was going to reveal it at some point, but he left the show...

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Member # 239

Did he have a name? The scientist was named Dr. Benjamin Jeffcoat, I think. ULTRAMAN. That was it.
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps