Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » I saw Aliens Vs. Predator *SPOILERS* (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: I saw Aliens Vs. Predator *SPOILERS*
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Man....it was laughably bad.
Really, I've seen better stories from the Sci-Fi channel (the abyss of programming).

SPOILERS:

Some of the things that make zero sense:
Wylend's men are armed better than any military contingent when they should've expected no trouble from a buried pyrimid.
It's like sending in Navy Seals to an archeological dig.
No one inside the underground pyrimid keeps their snowsuits or comments that there's warmth.

The Aliens gestation is now only about ten minutes at most.
Seriously, they go from eggs to chestbursters in minutes and the aliens are full grown within a couple of hours at most.

The Aliens are the version from Alien Ressurection (with than fin thing on the tail: they likely used the same CGI models.
Predators use several godzillia wresteling moves to fight the aliens hand-to-hand, and even swinging them around by their tail.
The aliens even sound a bit like godzilla....

The pyrimid itself is one big funhouse of moving maze walls and other silliness that would be cliche' in any video game.
Without a doubt though, there is not a single moment of the movie that's not telegraphed a mile before it happens: there's even the obligatory "dead meat" character that starts the movie by droning on about his two young kids and how he wants to snap lots of pictures... [Roll Eyes]

I saw it for free, along with several aliens fans- and not one person thought it was a good movie.

It was terrible.

Nice Predator ship designs though.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

deadcujo
Spectator
Member # 13

- posted      Profile for deadcujo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So what did you really think?

I plan to watch it next week when I don't have to pay for it.

--------------------
Picard: Mr. Crusher, what's our maximum speed this week?
Wesley: [checking manual] Uh, 9.4, sir.
Picard: Very good. Take us to Warp 9.8 then.
Wesley: Aye, sir. Warp 9.2 it is.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I found myself wanting the movie to be over so I could come home and work on a model I'm building.

For something positive to say: the CGI Queen is nicer to look at than the old stop-motion version from Aliens.

Alien queens (insert joke here) can be frozen for over 100 years and then be defrosted and immeadeately shocked (via silly lightening bolt effects) into laying eggs.

Somehow there's more alien drones running around than the number of grunts Wyland brought with him as security.

Did you know that Predaors taught the Egyptians the Aztec and the Cambodians how to build pyrimids?
All that's mising is a Stargate.
The Predators were worshipped as gods by these primitave peoples and the primatives sacrificed themselves willingly to allow for the hunt to begin....

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But seriously, did you EXPECT a good film when going into it? They had a GEM with the original AVP miniseries from Dark Horse - well-paced, about the length of a movie, and could probably be done on a modest budget. Really, they should have just stuck with that.

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

I loved the AVP miniseries and despite having read plot synopsis of this movie I still hoped for some shred of story or even (mabye) a single decent acting job but i hoped in vain.

The woman that plays (forgetable) the lead character is about as scared and shocked by the existance of these extremely dangerous aliens as Tommy Lee Jones from M.I.B.
Possibly less so.

Did I mention that the Predator pyrimid is directly beneath a spooky old abandoned whaling settelment?
Amazing coincidence that whalers would settle there of all the potential places on the continent....of course all the whalers disappeared mysteriously exactly 100 years to the day before the story. (though their town is still in perfect shape after a century in Anartica's winds- right down to silverware and dishes being still on the tables.)

Best of all: the movie leaves the heroine standing alone in Antarctica's interior wearing only a tank-top and pants (but hey, she'll be fine: she's got a souvineer Predator spear to keep her alive on the long trek back to the now-crewless ship that brought the team there).

Watch as the lead archeologist and his assistant/buddy easily translate a blend of aincent Myan and Egyptian thousands of years old hyroglyphics.
Makes Hoshi's skills pale by comparison.

Even Lance Henrickson sleepwalks through his role as the dying billionaire Wyland (he's just looking for something to make his legacy from or some nonsense).

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

deadcujo
Spectator
Member # 13

- posted      Profile for deadcujo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sounds great.

--------------------

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And it's PG-13, so I suppose none of the language Hudson blurted out during his last stand? And as little blood as possible?

Jason: Nitpick, the only time the alien queen was stop-motion filmed was when she was falling out of the Sulaco, before that it was the large model, operated mechanically.

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Even Lance Henrickson..."

Snark: I cannot for the life of me think of a role Henriksen has played since Aliens (and that's excluding his cheapass horror flicks) in which he WASN'T on autopilot from opening credits to closing ones.

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I can't say I'm surprised, but it does rather skew all the enthusiasm that Henrickson had for the film earlier this year. Damn he really had me going for a while.

Of course, perhaps we would do well to keep in mind that the reviewer deems Star Trek Nemesis to be a better film than both Star Trek V: The Final Frontier and Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country... [Razz]

-MMoM [Big Grin]

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

Oh, on't take my word for it MIM .....go see this for yourself: if you liked STV, you may find something worthwhile in it, I suppose. [Wink]

As to Hendrickson: See him in Dead Man.
He's a total bad-ass in that movie (a western no less).
He can act- we just remember most of his performances from the Aliens movies, much to his discredit.

I cant see why he was so enthusiatic abot this: his part is very minor and aside from his looking like Bishop, could've been played by anyone else just as well.
They mention that Wyland industries is a robotics company but they sure don't think to bring any R.O.V. to scout this underground incredibly aincent pyrimid that now has an energy bloom detectable from orbit......he am smart.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Saw Henriksen in some crummy film about hunting Bigfoot; he has aged, which may have partly contributed to my no-way-can-that-be-Lance-Henriksen attitude I maintained until I checked it on IMDb. And yet strangely here in NZ he's appearing in Visa (or maybe MasterCard) commercials, looking not a day older than he did in Millenium. Unless they were filmed years ago and have only just got here.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

Millenium looked intresting at first but I missed a couple of episodes nad never went back to it.
His voice mkaes you want to listen to whatever his lines are: he seems really sincere.

He looks pretty cool eating some guy's arm over an open fire too.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

WizArtist
Member # 1095

- posted      Profile for WizArtist     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Come on people. The downward spiral started with 3. Then came Re-sucktation and now this? Must've been created by the same idiots that made the final Highlander movie. (I hope FINAL)

--------------------
I am the Anti-Abaddon.
I build models at a scale of 2500/1

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

Predator 2 was pretty bad as well....
It's just Fox eeking the last drops of cash from two expired franchises.

As expected.
It's a good enough movie to go with friends and make fun of it as it happens though: there's many a unintentionally funny moment.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

deadcujo
Spectator
Member # 13

I enjoyed Predator 2!

--------------------

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps