Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » Delta gate? (Page 3)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Delta gate?
Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Gate that dials out is the one that supplies the power. The receiving Gate doesn't need a power source. You're just stuck there after you go through. Ernest's Gate stopped working because it was buried at the bottom of the ocean.

Yes, Klorel's ship was the only one of the two with a Gate aboard.

The Gate Nirti (hot) destroyed blew up because the explosive detonoated while in the wormhole, if I remember correctly.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Something detonating in a wormhole would be difficult given what we know from "38 Minutes" about nothing actually having corporeal existence in a wormhole, the thing being basically equivalent to an interstellar transporter.

As for the gate from "Torment", the gate in "Watergate" was completely submerged and worked fine, so water doesn't interfere. The gate must have had solid matter in the ring. Or, alternately, I suppose someone could have had an active wormhole to the world at the exact time they dialed, but that's a far more complex explanation.

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Which makes you wonder about the oft-given advice to bury a gate to stop it from working. The explanation for the iris is that it is placed close enough to the event horizon to stop anything from forming when it comes through. Not even the, uh, "ka-woosh" seems to form when the iris is closed. And yet we've seen a buried gate work before, even excavating out a nice hole in front of it. So do gates still work when something solid is shoved through them or up against them, or not?

(One could point out how the on-location gate is always embedded in apparent rock or metal with no gap for the inner ring to spin around at all, but I suppose that's just nitpicking.)

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That particular gate was buried while an incoming wormhole was active. All the molten rock burying it fell into the wormhole and was destroyed. (I'd love to know how mass energy conservation deals with that...) Supposedly, when the rock cooled and solidified and the wormhole deactivated, the rock was far enough away from the event horizon for the kawoosh to vaporize more. Or maybe there was a laser of some kind involved in digging out enough for the kawoosh to form. It's been a while.

The basic rule is that if the gate has anything solid inside the ring, it won't activate. If the gate has some sort of shield right on the surface, the kawoosh doesn't form, nor does anything else. Actually, in the novels by the movie creators, someone once stood in the path of someone else coming through a wormhole, and bad things happened to both of them, but that's hardly SG-1 canon.

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In "A Hundred Days", the gate was buried by molten rock, which formed an iris-like effect. What they ended up doing was building a particle beam generator that melted the rock-iris just enough that the kawoosh could form and vapourize the usual area around it. Teal's subsequently harpooned his way through - and we already had a discussion on that. [Smile]

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"As for the gate from 'Torment', the gate in 'Watergate' was completely submerged and worked fine, so water doesn't interfere. The gate must have had solid matter in the ring."

Well, yeah, it wasn't the water that was the problem. It was all the bits of the collapsed castle.

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
All the molten rock burying it fell into the wormhole and was destroyed. (I'd love to know how mass energy conservation deals with that...)
Wouldn't it get dumped back into realspace somewhere in a discorporated state, as per "Hey The Sun Is Blowing Up So Let's Use This Red Filter"?
Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If it was an *incoming* wormhole, anything attempting to enter from that Gate would be destroyed, including bits of rock. But I think it was actually an outgoing wormhole, as our heroes were attempting to escape at the time.

TSN: Exactly. Ernest's Gate was likely buried in pieces of castle and cliff when they tried to redial.

Though, this makes one wonder why coverstones and irises keep Gates from working. The coverstones we've seen don't go through the Gate, they just sit on top of it. So theoretically, the Gate should still activate and vaporize the coverstone and all the earth above or below it, depending on how the Gate was buried.

I suppose a handy trick would be to bury the Gate facing down or lay it facing upwards. You'd either have bad guys come through and fall right back into the event horizon, or come through and find themselves buried alive.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We sorta saw the latter in "Death Knell" last season, where an attack knocked the gate onto its front and excavated a perfect foxhole for the rescue team to come through. As for being on its back, in "The First Commandment" they used it that way as a well of sacrifice, of sorts. Only in "A Hundred Days" do we see stuff EXITING a wormhole when a gate is on its back.

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps