Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » OH, NO!!! (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: OH, NO!!!
The First One
A lovely little thinker, but a bugger when he's pissed
Member # 35

- posted      Profile for The First One         Edit/Delete Post 
Lord of the Rings offical casting, apparently: Elijah Wood as Frodo, Dean Astin as Sam. Middle-Earth 90210, as someone over at Aint-It-Cool-News called it. . . 8(

How does this affect things? Well, never mind that Frodo is actually meant to be 50 years old when the quest starts (but in fact was 'well-preserved' and hadn't changed much since he inherited the Ring at age 33), but also all the dialogue goes out the window. Keanu Reeves in "Much Ado About Nothing" won't cause half the hilarity as surfer dude uttering Sam's rustic English dialogue.

Of course, the whole accent thing is a problem. I mean, this is a uniquely English book, and much of the dialogue, originating as it does in the 1930's and 40's, seems stilted today - but English accents might make it work. But there will be a mix of accents, it's unavoidable. If only they'd do it along logical lines like, say, American accents for the Elves. But of course elves are weirdo's so we couldn't have that! No, it's gotta be the heroes. . .

Kosh
Perpetual Member
Member # 167

- posted      Profile for Kosh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There going to **** it up, aren't they. Sad too, this being my favorite reading of all time.

------------------
WHO ARE YOU

Krenim
Unholy Triangle Fella
Member # 22

- posted      Profile for Krenim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
*Has suddenly lost all desire to see this movie*

------------------
Darlene: I read a lot of science fiction.
Herbert: Bless you, my child.
Kay: The world needs more people like you.

-Deep Space Nine, "Far Beyond the Stars."

Michael Dracon
aka: NightWing or Altair
Member # 4

- posted      Profile for Michael Dracon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
*WAS looking forward to seeing this movie*

I hope they will find a better cast than this....

------------------
"Calm may work for Locutus of the Borg here,
but I'm freaked out, and I intend to stay that way!"

- Xander, Buffy the Vampire Slayer

The First One
Member # 35

Damn, that should say Sean Astin. Like it matters. Some of the other casting siggested on the Discussion Board at AICN was even scarier. . . But there were some good ideas. I'd considered Daniel Day Lewis as Aragorn, too. . . but Ian Holm as Bilbo was one I hadn't considered, but I think Richard Briers would be best.

But. . . someone out there seriously thinks Jude Law as Legolas! I sincerely hope not. If they f*** this up, they'll never be forgiven - I'm rereading The Fellowship Of The Ring at the moment, and some other business type just said to me out of the blue on the train "great book, isn't it?" This is the literary classic EVERYONE's read, it was recently voted top of the 100 best books of all time list. . .

They're gonna decide they need a heroine. Cast your votes here for the most inappropriate male character to suddenly become female in the movie! My vote's on them combining Eomer and Eowyn.

Xentrick
good to go
Member # 64

- posted      Profile for Xentrick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"...English accents might make it work."

one responce to that: 'Robin Hood, Prince of Thieves.'

Well, if everything else about this movie stinks, at least the scenery will be nice. Not enough movies filmed in New Zealand.

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Read somewhere that each race would have a regionalized British Isles accent... IIRC the Hobbits would have a Welsh lilt, the Elves an Irish one, and the humans English, etc.

------------------
"I... love you more... than I did the week before... I discovered Alcohol""
-The Barenaked Ladies

The First One
Member # 35

For which read: "the hobbits will have Welsh accents except the stars; the Elves will have Irish accenmts except the stars; the humans will have American accents if they're goodies, and English if they're baddies (as will the Orcs, who'll have cockney accents). . ."
Kosh
Perpetual Member
Member # 167

- posted      Profile for Kosh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't recall the name, but the guy who played Merlin in "Excalibur" would make a good Gandalf(sp). Theoden=Patrick Stewart
Sauramon=John Gielgood
I'll come back to this. I don't go see to many movies any more. It'll take a while to pick actors.

------------------
WHO ARE YOU

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Some interesting news from the oft-mentioned IMDb.

RINGS IS GIVEN A TITANIC BUDGET

After analyzing production cost projections, New Line Cinema has agreed to increase the budget for the film version of Tolkien's Lord of the Rings to $190 million, which will make it the most expensive film ever produced with the exception of Titanic, the Wellington, NZ Sunday Star-Times reported. Work on the film has already approached a frenetic pace, the newspaper indicated. "You can't get a carpenter in Wellington for love nor money," a film technician told the Star-Times. Meanwhile, New Line has confirmed that Elijah Wood has been cast in the key role of the hobbit Frodo Baggins. The Hollywood Reporter reported today (Monday) that Sean Astin will play Baggins' servant, Sam Gamgee.

------------------
"And give me back my evil heart so I can see you as you are."
--
John Linnell

Krenim
Unholy Triangle Fella
Member # 22

- posted      Profile for Krenim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This film came so close to partially redeeming itself, then failed. I guess Jeffrey Combs (sp?) was considered for the role of Wormtongue (sp?), for which he would be perfect, but didn't get it.

------------------
Darlene: I read a lot of science fiction.
Herbert: Bless you, my child.
Kay: The world needs more people like you.

-Deep Space Nine, "Far Beyond the Stars."

RW
Member # 27

- posted      Profile for RW     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 

I never read it. I hate elves and pixies.

Saiyanman Benjita
...in 2012. This time, why not the worst?
Member # 122

- posted      Profile for Saiyanman Benjita     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well that might just ruin my want to see that movie.

------------------
Nurse: Can I help you?
Stan: We're here to commit our friend, Kyle.
Nurse: Reason?
Kyle: I'm a clinically depressed fecalpheliac on Prozac.
Nurse: JACKET!!

The First One
Member # 35

And the latest news has Ian McKellen confirmed as Gandalf and Ian Holm as Bilbo.

I think it'll work, maybe far more than Sean Connery and Richard Briers (my ideal casting). Of course, this isn't certain yet - New Line have said they won't make any more announcements or confirm/deny any rumours until they unveil the complete package in September.

There is one name that hasn't come up at all, and I think he'd be excellent: Christopher Lee as Saruman. He's a LOTR fan who'd kill to be Gandalf, but might be happy with the baddie role.

Kosh
Perpetual Member
Member # 167

Sean as Gandalf, that would be to good.
They are cutting Tom Bombadil from the movie, cast your vote to save him at the site below. Some nice pics here too.
http://www.ringbearer.org

RW is begining to remind me of the depressed robot in "Hitchikers Guide to the Galaxy"

------------------
WHO ARE YOU?

[This message has been edited by Kosh (edited July 23, 1999).]

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps