Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » Stargate question to fill the hiatus lull (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Stargate question to fill the hiatus lull
Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Being that I'm a little behind on my Stargate, I was wondering if there has ever been an episode that presented another world that has been exploring the galaxy via the Stargate network with their own version of the SGC.

Most of the civilizations they've visited that have been comparable to Earth as far as scientific development go seem to be either unaware of their Gate, or uninterested in playing with it.

What was the status of the Gate on Jonas' world? It obviusly wasn't buried or anything, but were they exploring through it?

By the way... FOX finally started playing season 7 on Saturday evenings here in Michigan, so I've got new episodes to watch now. WOOT!

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

"Oh, look, this alternate universe is made out of Lego!"

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Teal'c's figurine is out of date. B)
bX
Stopped. Smelling flowers.
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
WFT is with the blonde chinstripe and new hair anyway. I mean aside from the actor getting sick of being bald.
Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok.... continuity error. If the Serpent Guards are prisoners, why are they still armed, eh?
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How do they dial a destination when the symbols are all six little pegs?

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Legogate is about the coolest thing EVAR. But returning to the point of the thread:

quote:
Originally posted by Aban Rune:
[QB] Being that I'm a little behind on my Stargate, I was wondering if there has ever been an episode that presented another world that has been exploring the galaxy via the Stargate network with their own version of the SGC.

Most of the civilizations they've visited that have been comparable to Earth as far as scientific development go seem to be either unaware of their Gate, or uninterested in playing with it.

No one has ever really been seen exploring the galaxy through the gate, at least in teams. In "Winow of Opportunity", the scientist guy was an explorer that found the time loop machine; somewhere in the fourth season, SG-1 encountered its android replicas exploring and fighting the Goa'uld like their originals; in "Entity" a computer world sent a MALP-like virus through to explore (or scout for invation - they never really figured it out).

quote:
What was the status of the Gate on Jonas' world? It obviusly wasn't buried or anything, but were they exploring through it?
Following the events of "Fallout", most of the people on Jonas' planet were probably more busy getting along together rather than exploring the galaxy. Of everyone we've seen, I'd think they'd be the most interested in exploring a la SGC. There's also the planet of people that invented Tretoinin, who were eager to explore to find another source of snakes... And I'm guessing that the snooty Tollans probably did a lot of exploring too using the gate, though by the time we met them they were hardly as motivated to do so anymore.

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"WFT is with the blonde chinstripe and new hair anyway. I mean aside from the actor getting sick of being bald."

Well, I believe they explained the hair by saying that, now that Teal'c doesn't have a symbiote, he doesn't need to shave his head anymore. Of course, they never really made it clear why he had to in the first place. I think it was just a throwaway joke for when he and O'Neill switched bodies, and then they were stuck with it.

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No on screen mention has been made about the reasons behind the state of Teal'c's hair in the entirety of the series, except as a joke ("Teal'c - what's with the hair?"). Even the yellow caterpillar was only half-noticed once ("Don't ask") and never mentioned again.

The statement in "Holiday" implied that Jaffa ritually shaved their heads. In the early seasons, all Jaffa were seen either bald or with the skullcap. Later on, only rarely now do we see he skullcaps (and never on the rebel Jaffa). My rationalization is that SOME System Lords required that all Jaffa shave their heads for old old traditional reasons.

Since pretty much all of these guys are dead now, few Jaffa are seen shaving cranium anymore. And Teal'c, as a holdout of shaved-ness in order to cause less revulsion in the Jaffa he's trying to convert to his cause. Now that the Fifth Column is in full force and barely anyone is following the old ways anymore, he's free to break tradition and grow dat 'fro.

Of course, the REAL reason is actor Chris Judge, who hated being bald. Shaving his head was part of his contract for the first two seasons, after which it was promised he could grow it out. However, after it became part of his identity (simply because bald = more alien, Joe Mallozzi told me), Exec. Producer Brad Wright wouldn't let him. They *did* let him grow the caterpillar (that past summer, Judge had a dyed yellow 'fro at conventions and kept the goatee), but the production team soon realized how silly it looked and got him to take it off.

Judge FINALLY got permission to grow his hair when Wright transferred over to Atlantis to develop the show, and the new EP didn't know or care. [Wink]

Mark

--------------------

RLF
Member # 1396

- posted      Profile for RLF     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Aban Rune:
[QB] Being that I'm a little behind on my Stargate, I was wondering if there has ever been an episode that presented another world that has been exploring the galaxy via the Stargate network with their own version of the SGC.
/QB]

There was evidence of an exploration program on the world where SG-1 found the quantum mirror in "There But For the Grace of God". Daniel found artifacts from various human cultures on a table, all sorted and tagged. Unfortunately, the inhabitants of the planet attracted the attention of the Gou'ald, who wiped them out.

The Aschen ("2010" and "2001") know how to operate the stargate, but do not possess a large database of gate addresses. This limits them to worlds near their home planet. There have been other civilizations with similar limitations presented in the series ("Prisoners" and "The Other Side").

The SGC seems to unusual in three ways. First, they figured out how the stargate works. Second, the SGC has located two sources of gate addresses - the Abydos Cartouche and the knowledge of the Ancients downloaded into Jack. Third, Earth has survived attracting the attention of the Gou'ald and other threats.

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You know, the thought has occurred to me on more than one occasion, but why were there so many addresses on the Abydos cartouche anyways? One would think that the Goa'uld would store gate addresses in crystals or something...

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

The Abydos carouche was ancient even for the Goa'uld. I'm thinking that Ra used the place as a waystation for his slaves who didn't use ships, or for whom he didn't want access to more advanced technology. This may have changed over the millenia, and everyone ended up using more advnaced ways to remember how to get around (like that hand device).

Mark

--------------------

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Or then the Abydos terminal wasn't Ra's doing, but was left behind by the Ancients already. They'd want naquada, too, and mining it from the relative vicinity of Earth/Atlantis would be a smart move, right? Ra could just have added onto the pre-existing Gate room and coordinate chamber the landing platform for his ship.

The Ancient technology seems to aim for extreme user-friendliness. The Gates work in the most adverse conditions without maintenance, and can be operated by hand-cranking if everything else fails... A simple "printed-out" coordinate library would be in keeping with this principle.

This would incidentally mean that not just the Stargate symbols but also the Egyptian hieroglyphs would be original Ancient writing, adopted and adapted by Earthlings much later on. Or perhaps the original Gate symbols at the Abydos cartouche were later annotated by some Egyptian-hieroglyph writer, be it a goa'uld or a human underling of his, and the hieroglyphs thus are of goa'uld origin?

Timo Saloniemi

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's a real lego kit!?! Cool - or did someone carve out Snake-heads for the Jaffa?

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Seems to me the Ancients are always referred to as having a language similar to latin. Their writing is all over Atlantis and was on one of the walls in the meeting place in "Torment of Tantalus". Didn't look anything like hieroglyphs.

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps