Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » SG1 "Prometheus Unbound" (Spoilers) (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: SG1 "Prometheus Unbound" (Spoilers)
Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, the idea was to supplant the Jaffa, who were busy turning to the resistance. The Kull were Goa'uld themselves (sorta) and emphatically could NOT be turned.

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I finally watched "Full Alert" - I have up to Reckoning 1 downloaded... now I remember about the Alkesh flying off in that episode too.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Re the armored dudes: yes, I know. What I'm saying is that apparently a more or less regular human in that armor becomes immune to all weapons again, which seems like a useful fact.

I don't think I watched any episodes from the last season beyond part of the season premiere and then, later, the finale, so I do not know how exactly their countermeasure is supposed to work.

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe they should build a gun that combines the zat, replicater-killer, and kull-killer. Oh, and a spork.

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

Hobbes
 Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat 
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Or just call MacGyver and have him build a super weapon from a paper clip, rubber band, used chewing gum, and nail clippers.

--------------------
I'm slightly annoyed at Hobbes' rather rude decision to be much more attractive than me though. That's just rude. - PsyLiam, Oct 27, 2005.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What exactly is the "replicater-killer"?
I've only seen afew episodes with the Replicators (rejects from Runaway), but the weapon og choice seemed to be a shotgun.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Omega:
Maybe they should build a gun that combines the zat, replicater-killer, and kull-killer. Oh, and a spork.

Plus a normal Taur'i weapon, a Ree-tu/Nyrrti-tech spotter and a staff weapon! [Big Grin]

Jason don't worry about the so-called "replicator killer" it was something from an episode or two in season 7. Just keep watching. P.S. It of course doesn't eventually do the job. So don't think the replicators are toast just yet. Keep watching.

--------------------

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It'd be nice to see what they learned from discecting the android woman that made the replicators in the first place.

Or did she make them?

It seems unlikely they could have traveled into Asgard territory from SG1's relativly small sphere of explored planets.

Still....you'd think the SGC would be very intrested in returning to the planet of the Replicator's origin: and to uncover the android's origins as well (schematics and such).

Something that kinda irks me about the SGC: why not send out some specialty units o hunt (uninhabited) planets for precious minerals, and other valuable stuff?
It would only make sense to at least survey planets for future resourse-gathering (though surveying an entire planet would take years, if not decades).

Some plnets SG1 "explored" may have been teeming with inteligent life at the bottom of their oceans but SG's limited abilities would mean that some would would go unchecked.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's part of the problem: as it stands, the stargate isn't a practical tool to transport resources to Earth from elsewhere en masse. At least part of the SGC is permenantly assigned to survey locations for naquadah, and several episodes have dealt with that theme. But stargates, being open only 38 minutes at a time, in in the case of Earth needing to be a secret, doesn't make sense to use it to transport stuff around in large quantities. It doesn't help that right now Earth's gate is being used for exploration and military purposes almost full-time in conflicts against several enemies.

Until Earth can develop a worthwhile interstellar merchant fleet (and have the existance of anything outside our solar system made public, natch), it's pretty much stuck for recon and transportation mostly people. If and when the Goa'uld cease to become the dominant threat out there, the SGC will have ample time to explore places in detail on a planetary scale.

Mark

--------------------

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

Technically speaking - the planets that the SGC have explored wouldn't be in any sort of 'sphere' - since they haven't started from an initial point (Earth) and explored outwards - the gate network - of course - allows them to jump to all different points around the galaxy and even to others. I'm just being pedantic! [Big Grin]

--------------------

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

Yes.
You are.

[Wink]

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, the "sphere" in question would be, essentially, the Milky Way, since the SGC has only dialed a separate galaxy on a grand total of two occasions. I think "sphere" was being used in the same sense as the phrase "sphere of influence". So, not literally the set of points in three dimensions equidistant from a given point.
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

Yes, I meant "Sphere of INfluence" (obviously).
It would be intresting to see what the Aincents used for transportation before (and possibly after!) the Stargate network was made.

Mabye a stargate version of those transport rings- a personal version that traveled with you.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yet another Goa'uld ship slips through their fingers...

"I'm crushing your head!" LOL!

I'm suprised nobody else picked up on the 50 light years in 20 minutes comment. ASSUMING that this is their top speed, it would take them about a month to cross the Milky Way (100,000 ly) without stopping. It would also take them about 2 years and 4 months to reach the Pegasus galaxy (!), assuming it is of course the dwarf galaxy in the Local Group. (No reason to assume any differently.)
http://www.anzwers.org/free/universe/galaxies.html

So, considering that they have an Asgard hyperdrive, I'm guessing that they have a MUCH higher top speed, and there was some other reason for going so slow at that point.

B.J.

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

Well, there's all those stars and planets in the way... As this is their first intergalactic trip in a ship of their own building, it makes sense not to push the throttle until you get out of the galaxy where there are far fewer navigational hazards to bump into. [Smile]

Mark

--------------------

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps