Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » Help me out! (Sg-1) (Page 3)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Help me out! (Sg-1)
Neutron_Bomb
Member # 1471

- posted      Profile for Neutron_Bomb     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
thanks all. I'm glad to hear Ra's returning , no other Goa'uld has quite measured up to him since the movie. And cheers for teaching me not to spell Goa'uld as Gould.
Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gould is just how Jack and Hammond say Goa'uld.

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's not as bad as the occasional guest star who says it "gowld" or "go-Ald".

You'd think they'd go over pronunciation with the guest actors. It's like Picard saying "buh-jor' " in "Emissary" instead of "Bay'-jor".

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mabye diffrent provinces of Bajor use accents and Picard had only met Bajorans with the accent.

You know...like Picard's french accent. [Wink]

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The producers have occasionally mentioned that it's the accent thing - and that they at least try to keep the Goa'uld and Jaffa actors pronouncing it correctly. It's the same in-joke reason that everyone pronounces Jaffa correctly (jah-FAH), EXCEPT for Jack, who sticks to JAH-fah (as in the cakes, which we think is deliberate).

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Hobbes
 Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat 
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The only way I can think of tieing the movie and series together.

Ra was always Ra, he didn't change his name to fit in with Egyption mythology, mythology was based off the System Lords. Ra was the first to find Earth, the Goa'uld's host species were going extinct so finding Earth was like going to an all you can eat buffet. The other Goa'uld promised to serve him in exchange for a human host thus elevating him to the supreme System Lord. This balance of power remained stable until Ra's death.

--------------------
I'm slightly annoyed at Hobbes' rather rude decision to be much more attractive than me though. That's just rude. - PsyLiam, Oct 27, 2005.

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Makes sense. I think the series kind of goes back and forth on which came first, the Goa'uld or the Egyptian mythology.

Sokar impersonated an existing character from religion, but it seems that other Goa'uld have inserted themselves into mythology.

Yu Wang Shang Ti was an Emperor of China (according to Daniel), so it's likely that he established a religion of sorts rather than co-opting one.

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps