Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » BSG Marathon (Page 1)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: BSG Marathon
Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A buddy of mine DLed all the episodes, burned them to disc, and they arrived today. Yay me [Smile]

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am moist with happiness for you.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Damnation.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just don't drip on the new couch, or your happiness will end very quickly.
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The couch is old, so everyone wins!

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Except the couch. Please, people, think of the couch.
Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just wish I could find someone on this side of the pond who'd do that for me. But, hey, I have cats that buy me Lego!

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

Surely your new daughter is more than capable of dribbling on the couch?

--------------------

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey, y'know, the other night I watched the episode Litmus, and I said, I've seen this before.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Marauth
Member # 1320

- posted      Profile for Marauth     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
yeah but every good sci-fi show has an episode about the dangers of stripping people of their fundamental rights under the guise of increased security. It's like every Trek show had to have a non-corporeal entity episode or ten.

--------------------
Garbled, confusing and quite frankly duller than an inflight magazine produced by Air Belgium.

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

Right now I think my favorite episode is "The Hand of God". Its a nice change of tone and the celebrations at the end of the episode are welcome.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mighty Blogger Snay:
Hey, y'know, the other night I watched the episode Litmus, and I said, I've seen this before.

I caught that episode last night.
I agree that The Drumhead was the inspiration there, but I must admit, I liked the episode overall.

Probably because Starbuck is barely in it and Apollo was...er....fuck if I know where he was.

Good points: the CGI Cylon on Caprica was nicely done and looked "there" when it fought (half-assed) the colonial guy (no idea what his name is offhand).
Solid acting on Olmos' part as well as the woman conducting the "witch-hunt".
I noticed several of the OS support ships are in the fleet- including the "colonial movers" and livery ship.
A nice touch that: those needed no update and the CGI models look good.

Dumb parts:
the colonial warrior on Caprica never notices the two-three humanoid-cylons 50 feet away staring at him throught the episode?!
I know if someone is staring at me in an airport for fuck's sake! These cylons are on top of a building overlooking his position but he never looks up once. Good thing they weren't snipers, I guess.

The flight crewman that soooo readily fell on his sword for the Flight Chief was a bit contrived: I can see coping to leaving the hatch open, but WHY would he say he's a collborator?!?
That was a bit much.

Overall: not too bad. Worth my watching, but still not as good as The Drumhead. [Wink]

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No one can tell me the new version Galactica compares with the original.
Check out this guy's model to see what I mean:
http://www.stormblade.de/pics/galactica-refit1.jpg
http://www.stormblade.de/pics/galactica-refit2.jpg
http://www.stormblade.de/pics/galactica-refit3.jpg
http://www.stormblade.de/pics/galactica-refit4.jpg
http://www.stormblade.de/pics/galactica-refit5.jpg

As a modeler, I can only stare in awe at this guy's work.

Mabye the new version would look better with the red paint detailing? Less Andorian somehow? [Wink]

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

HerbShrump
Member # 1230

- posted      Profile for HerbShrump     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

I agree that The Drumhead was the inspiration there, but I must admit, I liked the episode overall.

The McCarthy hearings in the 1950s are the real inspiration.

quote:
In a 1950 speech, McCarthy entered the public spotlight by claiming that communists had "infested" the State Department, dramatically waving a sheet of paper which purportedly contained the traitors' names. A special Senate committee investigated the charges and found them groundless. Unfazed, McCarthy used his position to wage a relentless anti-communist crusade, denouncing numerous public figures and holding a series of highly confrontational hearings. With little if any proof of his charges, McCarthy relied on accusation, slander and innuendo to tarnish his opponents' reputations (a practice now known as "McCarthyism"). In 1954, televised hearings allowed millions to view McCarthy's methods for the first time, sparking a public backlash and official censure. He died at the age of 49 of complications related to alcoholism.
True, they inspired The Drumhead as well.

Arthur Miller wrote the play "The Crucible" as a commentary against McCarthy. Instead of Communists, however, the play focued on the Salem witch hunts.

Very timely that Litmus was shown this weekend, since Arthur Miller died last Thursday.

Manticore
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Manticore     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jason Abbadon:
No one can tell me the new version Galactica compares with the original.
Check out this guy's model to see what I mean:
http://www.stormblade.de/pics/galactica-refit1.jpg
http://www.stormblade.de/pics/galactica-refit2.jpg
http://www.stormblade.de/pics/galactica-refit3.jpg
http://www.stormblade.de/pics/galactica-refit4.jpg
http://www.stormblade.de/pics/galactica-refit5.jpg

As a modeler, I can only stare in awe at this guy's work.

Mabye the new version would look better with the red paint detailing? Less Andorian somehow? [Wink]

I swear, I must be the only person in existence who can't stand the original Galactica. yeah, the guy did a great job recreating it, but the design itself is just...blech.

--------------------
Fell deeds await. Now for Wrath... Now for Ruin... and a Red Dawn...
-Theoden, TTT

Lord Vorkosigan does not always get what he wants!

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps