Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » Peter Jackson's King Kong! ($$$) (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Peter Jackson's King Kong! ($$$)
The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Went to see this today and was VERY impressed. This is going to sound like absolute heresy, I know, but I wasn't fully convinced by the LOTR trilogy that Jackson was a great director. (Good yes, but not great.) I was by this.

Almost everything about this film was wonderful. The casting was perfect. The effects looked beautiful and were not ridiculously overdone. (Kong was a very believable and sympathetic character, much as the original stop-motion version was.) The story was faithful to the original without being a hoaky carbon copy. As a matter of fact, I think there were some elements that were an improvement over the original, such as the expanded characterizations, particularly in the case of Ann Darrow. Naomi Watts' rendition was, IMHO, superior to Fay Wray's in that it was more believable and fleshed out, less of a caricature. Her interactions with Kong also yeild a great deal of emotional resonance and even sexual tension.

The film is a bit long at ~3 hours, though, and probably could've used some tighter editing in a few places. I'm not talking about cutting whole sequences, but just trimming a little, like in the sauropod stampede and the bug melee and maybe even the Kong/Rex fight. Perhaps some of the chaos in the streets immediately after Kong's escape could have been condensed as well.

All in all, it's obvious that a lot of love and effort went into the piece on the parts of director, actors, and effects men, and the results are quite effective. A nice balance is struck between nostalgia, serious drama, horror, romance, and socio-political commentary. I give it 3.5 stars out of 4.

-MMoM [Big Grin]

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Was there a giant monkey?
I'll see anything with a giant monkey.....

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nope. Just a giant ape.
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Was he purple?

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, you're thinking of "Peter Jackson's Bonzi Buddy : The Official Spyware of the Movie".
The Mighty Monkey of Mim
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So, any particular reason for the apparent lack of interest in this film? Or have people just not gotten around to seeing it yet? Or is it merely the general lack of interest that all my movie reviews seem to generate?

In any case, I saw it again today and it stood up to the repeated viewing quite well. I do make the observation, however, that the guardian/ward subplot between Hayes and Jimmy was rather unnecessary and could have been another good place to "liberate" some running time. Although, it did allow for the introduction of the whole Heart of Darkness thing. Also, the ice-skating scene in NY would have been a logical cut as well. But I suppose that, when $200 million is spent on a film, one wants to get as much out of it as possible.

Naomi Watts is gorgeous, BTW. [Eek!]

-MMoM [Big Grin]

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What do you think of Jack Black? [Wink]

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
Member # 646

I think, for not really being a serious actor, he did a good job as Denham. I sort of have a problem seeing him as any character other than himself, but he seemed to carry this part off reasonably well.

He's not my type, though. [Razz]

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Heheheh the second part is what I was referring to! [Wink] [Big Grin]

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm definitely going to see it, and will comment then. Probably see it this weekend. Just haven't had time (nor the desire to sit in a jam-packed theater) yet.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just don't see the point. Girl meets Giant ape, Giant ape fancies girl, Giant ape falls off building. Just with flashier special effects for the MTV generation. There's nothing profound about the story. "It was beauty killed the beast." No, it wasn't, it was the biplanes flying around his head, firing machine-guns, causing him to lose his balance that killed him. And just because Naomi Watts has finally fucked her way to the top of the Hollywood totem pole doesn't mean I have to pay money to celebrate that.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay, who's not been feeding Lee? He's gotten all grumpy.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Being a giant, grumpy ape that easily loses his balance and becomes enamored with hot blones in flowing white gowns myself, I can empathize with the storyline. There are also people who would gladly shoot me, from a biplane or otherwise.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

tricky
Member # 1402

- posted      Profile for tricky         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Click-Klack
Ohh yeah, I'm a goin' Aban Run' a huntin'
Gonna git me a Big rug!
[Big Grin]

--------------------
Over the centuries, mankind has tried many ways of combating the forces of evil...prayer, fasting, good works and so on. Up until Doom, no one seemed to have thought about the double-barrel shotgun. Eat leaden death, demon...

-- (Terry Pratchett, alt.fan.pratchett)

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
Member # 646

quote:
Originally posted by Lee:
I just don't see the point. Girl meets Giant ape, Giant ape fancies girl, Giant ape falls off building. Just with flashier special effects for the MTV generation. There's nothing profound about the story. "It was beauty killed the beast." No, it wasn't, it was the biplanes flying around his head, firing machine-guns, causing him to lose his balance that killed him. And just because Naomi Watts has finally fucked her way to the top of the Hollywood totem pole doesn't mean I have to pay money to celebrate that.

The tale is much more iconic than that. It's about the relationship of humans and the natural world, prejudice and exploitation, conceptions of masculinity, and other such deep-seated themes. It's a classic, your cynicism aside. And I think Jackson's take on the story put some interesting new spins on some of these elements that made it all the more relevent to today's audiences.

This one wasn't particularly more effects-heavy than the original, either, it's just CGI instead of stop-motion. Both were done using the state-of-the-art techniques of the time.

But, you know, you're right about not having to pay to go see it. Nobody's forcing you to.

-MMoM [Big Grin]

--------------------

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps