Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » Peter Jackson's King Kong! ($$$) (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Peter Jackson's King Kong! ($$$)
Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I saw the original was I was about 9 years old, back in the good old days before Star Wars. I became obsessed with King Kong, dinosaurs, and gorillas. Add in 2001: A Space Oddyssey, Planet of the Apes, and Star Trek, and became a SF fan for life.

I really liked the Peter Jackson's version. I've probably been waiting to see it for 40 years. (I also saw the 1976 version the first day it was released, but that ended badly. ) It wasn't perfect, though. It was too long. The first scene with Kong was a bit lackluster (when he grabs Ann from the altar). Too many dinosaurs (3 rexes and all those sauropods) sorted of diluted the impact, and that spider pit scene wasn't needed. I also missed Kong chewing on people, pterodactyls, elasmosaurs, and the scene of rafts getting capsized (apparently filmed but cut), and Ann's scream practice (in the trailer but cut). The problems of Jackson's film are excesses of an obsessed fan who probably had this pumped up version in his head for 40 years, so I can't fault him for his love of the Kong, but he should've shown a bit of restraint. But overall, worth seeing on the big screen.

--------------------
When you're in the Sol system, come visit the Starfleet Museum

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It was a good movie yet there were too many dramatic pauses and close-ups of the characters (like the scene where Kong is finally captured on the shores of the island). Also the scene in the insect pit (despite the action and killing) did get boring. As well the scene with Kong and Watts in the frozen lake seemed inappropriate after all the destruction he caused. Other than that it truly was a very epic movie that could only be appreciated more if you've seen the original black and white one. (I hear the 70s one sucks.)

P.S. Jack Black was a real bastard in that movie!

Not Invented Here
Member # 1606

- posted      Profile for Not Invented Here     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I loved this film to bits when I saw it just before Christmas. Absolutely brilliant. It is a touch too long though, as people have pointed out above. Again, as already pointed out, it's mainly the length of individual scenes that needs shortening, particularly the bug fight.

I disagree about the Ice Skating scene, I thought that bit was absolutely beautiful. It reinforced the fact that Kong didn't actually want to be all destructive, he just did it when he had to. I'd love to know exactly how the film was shot, how much of it was CGI, etc. Oh well, the DVD will be along soon.

A sign of how much I liked it is the fact that both my friend and I enjoyed it despite having to sit next to 2 grotty little kids who wouldn't stop eating or talking throughout the whole movie. Before you ask why I didn't try to shut them up, their parents were sitting just behind them. And were talking even more. This is why I must start going to the cinema in the middle of the night again.

Kong Vs Rex scene. Wow.

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had the same problem at both my viewings of Chronicles of Narnia. Some idiot lady sat behind me both nights and neither of them seemed to realize that they were not in their living rooms.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

Veers
You first
Member # 661

- posted      Profile for Veers         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, the DVD is out already. Just not the movie part.

I saw it as well, and I loved it. It was exactly the type of movie to see on the big screen, and it was just the adventure movie I needed to see. Jack Black was just right as the slimy film producer, despite what some have said about his performance (though I almost cracked up when he said the last line). I also think Kyle Chandler (of "Early Edition" fame) did a great job as the arrogant movie star, and I also enjoyed the performance of the ship's captain.

--------------------
Meh

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I finally went to see this, and it was great, but was it as great as this?

quote:
Originally posted by TSN:
No, you're thinking of "Peter Jackson's Bonzi Buddy : The Official Spyware of the Movie".

*golf clap*
Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just saw the movie yesterday (nicked the dvd off my brother) and after reading through this thread I was quite surprised to note several negative references to the insect pit. Maybe it's just me but that scene is quite possibly the most horrific thing I've seen in a film in a long time (bare in mind I haven't seen Saw 1 or 2 yet). It wasn't even particularly graphic, but the bit with Andy Serkiss (who played a very entertaining character other than the ape) getting slowly consumed by giant maggots...that just disturbs the hell out of me, mostly I suppose that issues of scale aside, that's frighteningly realistic...like a Richard Attenborough documentary gone horrifically wrong.

Oh yeah and the rest was great if a little too long.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

The Ginger Beacon
Member # 1585

- posted      Profile for The Ginger Beacon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"like a Richard Attenborough documentary gone horrifically wrong."

He he! Something like:

'And heah, we see some of the most impressive footage of man eating worms ever captured.'

So much better than Steve Irwin. He'd probably poke it with a stick and get eaten.

--------------------
I have plenty of experience in biology. I bought a Tamagotchi in 1998... And... it's still alive.

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps