Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » $$$ BSG 2x12 Resurrection Ship Pt. 2 $$$

Author Topic: $$$ BSG 2x12 Resurrection Ship Pt. 2 $$$
Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How dissapointing.

Which was my one thought when the episode was over. I was hoping for a glorious confrontation on the decks of Galactica, when Fisk would reject Cain's methods and order his Marines to stand down. I was hoping Cain's crew would relieve her of command.

The episode wasn't dissapointing because it didn't do what I thought it would -- most of Galactica's episodes are great because when you think you know what they're going to do and how they're going to do it, they take everything in a totally new direction. Not so much in this case.

The eulogy for Cain was strange. I can see Fisk getting all weepy-eyed over Cain -- I guess -- but I don't really get where Starbuck was coming from. The fleet would be safer with her? Sometimes I wonder what Kara smokes. Cain left her own fleet behind and most likely would've done the same to Galactica's at the earliest convenience. Not to mention her strong and unwavering belief in summary executions, gang rape, and a nearly suicidal desire to attack the enemy at all opportunities.

Back to Fisk -- his character seemed to do a 180 here. In the last two episodes he's always been wary of Cain, and in his drunken stupors with Tigh, seemed very regretful of some of the actions he'd witnessed and participated in since the attack (particularly the execution of civilian members of Pegasus' first fleet). He's got his sympathetic moments -- he intervenes when a couple of deck-scrubbers are giving Tyrol and Helo a special brand of "justice" (a bar of soap wrapped in a towel) -- but he certainly seems more to the character of Thorne than himself.

The best part of the episode is Bill Adama's realization of why it would be wrong to order Starbuck to follow through with the assassination of Admiral Cain. During the miniseries, at the decomissioning of Galactica, he ignores the speech he wrote and just "goes with it", questioning the Cylon Wars, and wondering what the human race had done to deserve to survive -- "After all," he says, "we still kill each other over petty disputes." He concludes that "it isn't enough to survive ... we have to be worthy of survival." Talking with the Cylon, Sharon II, about the motives for the Cylons' animosity towards humanity, recalling the speech, Adama also terminates his earlier orders to Starbuck.

The episode opens with Lee Adama drifting in a big lake. We cut to find him floating in space, having ejected from the exploding Blackbird, and losing oxygen with cuts in his flight suit. Frankly, the thought of Lee dying didn't exactly seem to me a bad thing -- the character's got like nothing going for him and isn't all that interesting. "Oh, look at me, I'm the commander's son and I'm going to lead a revolt against him!" Yeah, nice cry for attention, Lee, but that's in the past so go back to moping in the cockpit again so you can wreck Chief Tyrol's pretty little plane, hmm?

One thing to be implicated in the destruction of your homeworld and allow your imaginary Cylon to blackmail you into doing a lot of bad things on her behalf, but that imaginary Cylon was long gone when you conspired with Gina to kill the Marine guard -- guess what, Doc Baltar? That makes you accessory to Cain's murder. (And for that, personally, I'd give you a medal).

Notes:

--Roslin looks bad. How much you wanna bet next week they find a miracle cure?
-- Woah! Adama! Next time you gonna use some tongue there, eh? And taking advantage of a sick woman like that!!!
-- Billy's alive!
-- Why is Dualla hanging around outside of pilots' quarters? Ain't that officer territory?

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was shocked that the Pegasus survived. I really wanted it to be destroyed because I feel that even if Cain is dead the crew still harbors some of her cruelness and its advance technology kinda ruins the idea of the obsolete ship(Galactica) being the only thing to save humanity from total exstinction. Oh well there be other chances for it to get blown up.

As for Gina killing Cain, I sorta figured that out from last weeks preview when there was a brief "from the back" shot of a blonde women in a green get-up pointing a gun at Cain. Also in the beginning preview of the episode we see Gina pointing a gun at someone, so no surprise there.

Sorry the Blackbird is toast. It took an entire episode for her to get built, yet only like a minute for her to go kaboom.

Anyone see the naked bodies float into space as the Resurrection Ship was destroyed [Wink] I thought it was cool/funny/creepy.

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I thought it was a great episode, and the fact that, by not doing one evil thing, Cain gets to die a hero, is some nice irony. Irony? Anyway, it makes sense. Starbuck's eulogy make plenty of sense when you consider the similarities between Cain and herself.

No, my only problem with the episode is that the battle, arguably the biggest operation in the whole series, kind of gets lost. I don't mean because they chose to focus on the assassination plots. That makes sense, dramatically. But the fight didn't seem quite. . . I don't know, big enough? Mostly it comes down to the Cylons lacking the menace they'd had in previous encounters, even though they lost. For instance, when that large group of raiders lined up in strange formation back in season "2.0" it was menacing, even though they were later simply switched off. But here it seemed like a battlestar and a basestar were basically equal to each other, which takes some of the edge off, in my opinion. Retaking Kobol, for instance, no longer seems like it should have been a big problem.

Of course, when you think about it, the problem the show has re the Cylons is that (until now) with only one target, namely the Galactica, the Cylons have to lose every engagement or the show's over.

Having said that, how about Baltar, huh? It looks like he's completely broken with Six, even betrayed her. I kind of get the feeling that might be the last time we ever see her, but I hope it isn't. (It would be nice to learn what she actually is, for instance, though here again I have a suspicion that the show may never tell us.)

And when the Pegasus XO starts laughing with relief? Oh man.

Anyway, thumbs up.

bX
Stopped. Smelling flowers.
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, I liked that laugh. Like just a little too long. Perfect. And sweaty Kara. Mmmm... Starbuck. And that Michelle Forbes is no slouch neither. Sorry. Got distracted. Yes. Good details to really raise/diffuse that tension or something.

So I guess I had the opposite reaction with regards to the non-assassination ending. I was really excited that they went another way. VERY cool that Cain didn't go ahead and give her order after Adama didn't. Tense. Exciting. And I think I'm even more excited by the prospect of having two friggin' awesome Battlestars in the RTF. It would certain make human survival more plausible.

I did wish that we'd seen more of what was going on in the battle. What I recall of Starbuck's decoy plan didn't really leave me with the impression that they'd have tactical superiority over 2 basestars. Just enough to buy time to hit the resurrection ship. To this point in the series those basestars have been completely dominating. I suppose the Pegasus is the first non-relic Battlestar we've ever really seen do its thing, and maybe they're designed to go up against several at a time.

Pretty cool ep all in all. Not sure I buy Baltar's participation in Gina's escape to, what? Protect her? Aside from the occasional kick, it seemed he could better rehabilitate her in the cell. It does make for interesting plot stuff, though, so I don't really mind THAT much.

Kazeite
Member # 970

- posted      Profile for Kazeite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Seems that twelve colonies have lost the technology required to make emergency patches for punctured flight suits... [Smile]

--------------------
"Do I remember about my amnesia?"

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Possibly, but isn't Lee's acceptance of his death, even his welcoming it, the point of that whole sequence?
Trimm
Member # 865

- posted      Profile for Trimm     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^Pretty much so.

I thought it was a wonderful ep, with some great understated charachter stuff. It was nice to see a sci fi show not milk a big space battle for every effects shot it could, but instead use it as a framing device for the personal dramas of these people.

wingsabre
Member # 1682

- posted      Profile for wingsabre     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I liked that there weren't an assassination, it would have been a pandora's box if it did happen. Something that they'll have to do an episode on later to deal with the political results.

It does make sense that the battlestars did well against the base stars, since most of the raptors were decoyed away and the base stars were left as sitting ducks.

I don't think that the eulogy for Cain was strange, since you don't talk bad about a person right after their death. Sadly Starbuck was right, the fleet could have been better with Cain. She may have been psycho, but without her the Pegasus might not have survived. She did order the blind jump, and she wasn't so bad. She did realize that killing Adama wasn't a great idea.

B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I liked it overall, but I wish we could have seen more of the battle (but not at the expense of the story!). Seeing the Vipers flying sideways while strafing the Resurrection Ship was just too cool.

That was a wierd situation for Starbuck when Cain was giving her the "don't flinch" speech. I would've needed a drink after that, too.

I'm thinking we're going to see a new Blackbird get built, assuming they can find some more engines (Pegasus probably has a few). It's just too useful to the Colonials, plus there's a physical set built for it.

Admiral Adama! As for the kiss, I've seen older people who are good friends do just that. Although Adama did linger a bit...

As for Apollo's flight suit, the Colonies seem to have lost duct tape technology. Which makes them infinitely inferior to us, now.

So, it seems Dee still has a thing for Apollo. Wonder what Billy would think of that.

When Starbuck was ready to kill Cain, I think that Cain knew something was up. I'm not sure she knew exactly what, but Starbuck was way too jumpy to have just come back from a successful mission. I think Adama might also have suspected something when he saw Fisk and the marines, but to his credit, he had made his decision before that point.

B.J.

HerbShrump
Member # 1230

- posted      Profile for HerbShrump     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Or Dee is a Cylon.

My only two conclusions. Dee is carrying a small torch for Apollo (understandable after the sparring exercise. Plus he's been around her a lot more after that than Billy has, or that we've seen/can assume anyway)

Or Dee is a Cylon.

Or she's just a gossip/snoop. THREE CONCLUSIONS.

I like and was not expecting the Pegasus to survive and still be around at the end. My expectation was similar to the original "Living Legend" where the Pegasus goes off and is missing/assumed destroyed.

After growing up I looked back on the original BSG and thought they could have had some interesting stories if there were other legitimate military craft in the fleet. Or if they could overhaul some other ships into military ships. I thought it would have been only logical that if the Galactica (and the Pegasus) survived the Holocost, then perhaps some other ships did too. I thuoght it'd been great to see some destroyers or frigates or some other military craft.

But not another Battlestar. It does take away from the concept of the "last surviving Battlestar..."

Still, it will be interesting. I still suspect the Pegasus will be lost/missing before the start of next season.

The attack on the Resurrection seemed a bit short because we didn't see all of it. When we cut to the attack, Apollo is beginning the strafing run. We never really saw any of the decoy operation.

My only fear/concern with any relationship between Adama and Roslin is the same concern people had with a romance between Janeway and Chakotay. It can easly turn into a "Mom and Dad" type of scenerio.

I wonder if Starbuck would give the same eulogy if she knew all the facts. She was speaking for Adama's benefit, but not with Adama's view of the situation. Let her read about all the heinous crimes committed on Cain's watch and see if she comes to the same conclusion.

How did Gina get access to Cain's room? Where does Baltar have her stashed away and how did he do it?

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Resurrection Ship" was originally a one-parter, and it shows. More so in Part 2 than in Part 1, however. Part 1 was OK, but some of the scenes could have been edited tighter, and the ep would have come in about 35 minutes.

Part 2 was full of, well, filler. Bung in about ten minutes of Apollo floating around in a lake, and the pointless scene in the prison with the towels and the bars of soap, and really only about twenty minutes was left over for actual real content.

"Frack you!" "You're not my type." Hmm. . .

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps