Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » BSG 2x14 - Black Market [$$$] (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: BSG 2x14 - Black Market [$$$]
Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Re; Mr Duke... I can't believe I haven't seen anyone speculate on his being a Cylon. His position was one of the best places in the RTF to promote societal entropy. And with a bit of judicious house-cleaning at the upper levels, a ressurected model could have stepped in without anyone being the wiser (barring the fact that the Ressurection Ship went boom) -- or indeed, being replaced by one of the other undisclosed Cylons lurking in the fleet.

How many have been positively identified so far? Seven?

--Jonah

--------------------
"That's what I like about these high school girls, I keep getting older, they stay the same age."

--David "Woody" Wooderson, Dazed and Confused

Paladin181
Member # 833

- posted      Profile for Paladin181     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The thing I found stupid about this episode is that the whole Black Market thing just sorta sprung up and had Fisk involved. He's been wih the fleet maybe two weeks and already has a hoard of illgotten booty? Waste of a character in my opinion and the whole Baltar/Rosalynn relationship would have benifited more with him being alive.
If they had made refernce to the Black Market more throughout the show leading up to this... ok. But having it be this all powerful force just requires to much of a "gimmi".

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As has been stated already, from the podcast it's clear that Ron Moore has the same problem(s) with this episode as we do.
Given Galactica's astounding track record, I think we owe it to them to write this one off as a "bad day", chalk it up to experiance and move on.
There's just so much wrong with it that I can't help but feel sorry for them.
I've no doubt that this lapse is the exception, not a sign of things to come.

This post was made possible thanks to the RANDOM CLICH� GENERATORtm

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, I have absolutely no problem forgiving an occasional bad episode, because even Galactica on a bad day is a hell of a lot better than most other shows on their best days!

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

bX
Stopped. Smelling flowers.
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sol System:
Wait a minute, bX? This must be Andrew's doing. Soon we will all descend into madness.

We're trying something...different. (I figure if I can't shorten my posts, the least I can do is shorten my name)

Known human Cylon models to date:
  • Leoben Conoy (Arms smuggler on Ragnar from mini)
  • Aaron Doral (Galactica PR guy from mini)
  • Sharon Valerii (Boomer)
  • Six/Gina (Doubleplus hotness)
  • Simon (Dr. Feelgood)
  • D'anna Biers (Xena)
(Did I miss anyone?)

I think part of the reason we're upset with a bum episode for this show is precisely because there have been so many good ones. And so we notice when one doesn't measure up. And also because the one before was sort of a stinker too.

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm sure there is comedic potential in the fact that Leoben is played by Sidekick-mark-II from Due South, and who also played the sexual-experiences guy in Last Night. I just haven't figured it out yet.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

HerbShrump
Member # 1230

- posted      Profile for HerbShrump     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I suspected Duke was a Cylon but, with the way they've developed this, I suspect any new character, any badguy and any suspicious known characters as being Cylons.

Interesting thing about the fleet arrangement when it comes to the Cylons. After about a year or so in space, it will become hard, in my opinin, to plant any new Cylon agents into the fleet.

Each ship is it's own separate little community (I'm not sure about the size of these ships, nor their crew compliment but 49K people scatterd over 100 ships is an average of 4K per ship). In communities that small everone will quickly recognize everyone and any outsider will be easy to spot.

I'm sure people could suspect the new person is from another ship but that wouldn't stand up under close scrutiny.

And with Cylons of the same model looking the same, some people would be on the lookout for identical twins.

This has just given me some interesting ideas for future episodes. What are the "nut-case" types in the RTF like? You know, the conspiracy theorists and those others that are far out there. Do they suspect Cylons at every turn?

And it'd be cool to see a known (at least to the audience) Cylon agent disguised in some way. Either Gina with a different hair cut and color or a Leoben with a scarred, burned face (done intentionally so no one would recognize him) or with a beard, et...

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I find it kind of amusing that whenever a new antagonist type character is introduced, I see people immediately speculating that they might be a Cylon; Tigh's wife, Cain, Zarak and now Bill Duke's character. As if humans aren't capable of causing trouble for each other without the help of the Cylons.

If we look at the track record of known Cylon agents, they tend no to be that highly placed. If anything they tend to be off to the side rather than at the centre of power. They're manipulators and seam to have a very firm grasp of human psychology, as such they don't need to directly interfere to move their agenda forward.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

FawnDoo
Member # 1421

- posted      Profile for FawnDoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Reverend:
If we look at the track record of known Cylon agents, they tend no to be that highly placed. If anything they tend to be off to the side rather than at the centre of power. They're manipulators and seam to have a very firm grasp of human psychology, as such they don't need to directly interfere to move their agenda forward.

I'd tend to agree - by now I think it would be quite cheesy for them to reveal someone highly placed as a previously unknown model of Cylon. It might be cool if many of the Cylons are played by relative unknowns: just the sort of people who blend in, and would therefore be perfect for the job.

By way of a P.S., I was just thinking about the whole "nondescript, blending in" concept - wasn't that one of the initial ideas for the "Terminator" concept? I thought I read somewhere that Lance Henriksen was considered for the role because they wanted the machine initially to look like someone who could just blend in to a crowd and yet still be deadly. Off topic I know and sorry about that, just that these tangents occur at odd intervals.

--------------------
Quidquid latine dictum sit altum viditur

bX
Stopped. Smelling flowers.
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
PS- 49,597 Survivors
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps