Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » New Futurama! (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: New Futurama!
Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Holy crap! Futurama's not quite dead after all!

HERE'S GREAT NEWS!
Here's the official word on Futurama!!
David X. phoned me about an hour ago and said that this Futurama project
is a done deal! Here's the word from DX---
There are 4 DVD movies that we'll start recording at the end of July or
August.Full feature length FUTURAMA movies.
Everybody is excited to get back together--as I am!

Into the Future,
Billy

Hooorah! I'm going to drink a can of motor oil to celebrate, then I'm going to go kiss Bender's shiny metal ass!

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I saw something about this in [adult swim]'s bumps last night. I'm not sure if they did this on purpose or not, but the bump was just before a Futurama episode where the subtitle under the opening title said "Coming soon to an illegal DVD". In any case, WOO HOO!

B.J.
(Half suprised Billy West didn't start that saying "Good news, everyone!")

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's been in the planning pipe for a while now. God bless FOX's willingness to actually listen to DVD sales. It's what got us Family Guy, Serenity, and now Futurama back for AT LEAST one more hurrah.

However, note that "feature length" is an extremely flexible term. Even the recent Family Guy movie was barely longer than three episodes, since all they did was strap three regular episodes together with a loose overall plot, and some extra filler. And in Wal-Mart, half the kids DVDs these days are billed as "feature length" but are barely over an hours long... Methinks that these four movies will be along the same lines as the Family Guy DVD, with slightly tighter stories but which can also be broken down into a 13-16 episode season of regular episodes.

But still, YAY!!! Futurama is BACK, baby!

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hooray!!
Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"God bless FOX's willingness to actually listen to DVD sales. It's what got us ... Serenity"

No, that was Univeral's willingness to listen to FOX's DVD sales [Smile]

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, yes, this is nice and all, but in my opinion it's a downgrade from the earlier news/rumor of a few months ago that the show was going to be coming back with actual episodes. For one thing, I always worry when things like this change formats. Does a carefully crafted Futurama episode work when doubled in size?

Also, Universal apparently was interested in Serenity as part of its deal with Whedon ("OK, do this thing you want, and then make us a bunch of money.") before Firefly DVD sales had amounted to much.

Not Invented Here
Member # 1606

- posted      Profile for Not Invented Here     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If the new Futurama is anything like the Family Guy movie, I'll be a bit disappointed. I love the original three series of Family Guy, and what I've seen of the fourth is good, but the movie was lacking something. The jokes were still there, but it felt far too loose and the plot fell apart towards the end. Also I really dislike the self-referential humour. Bringing back the chicken in the fourth series worked, but the greased-up-deaf-guy seems to be everywhere now in some kind of wierd fourth-wall breaking role that really doesn't do much for me.
Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The GUDG hasn't shown up for a while since the return of Family Guy. I'm a little more annoyed right now at the appearances of the two "play me out" Vaudeville players, who seem to show up whenever the writers can't figure out how to end a scene. [Smile]

The FG movie was alright, and the lack of censorship was a neat highlight (watch it with subtitles sometime - those ARE still censored!), but on the whole I agree with you. However, that movie was not really MEANT to be a movie from the get-go; the three episodes were written for TV, and then were corralled into becoming one when they got a request from FOX, as I recall. I would hope that a Furutama movie set would feature better-scripted plots able to fit both episodic and feature-length products.

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think Futurama lends itself more to a movie format than an episode one: there's so much more that can be done that way, and really, some of the episodes seem rushed in their final segment.

Besides, think of all the fun crap we'll have to watch for in the backgrounds now!

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Futurama > Simpsons (beyond season 12)

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I disagree, Futurama > Simpsons (around season 4)
AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What season was the monorail episode - cause that is one of the best Simpsons ever.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Not Invented Here
Member # 1606

- posted      Profile for Not Invented Here     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For me, the turning point for the Simpsons was the 200th episode, where Homer becomes Sanitation Commisioner. That one was great (Including the U2 cameo). After that, serious 'meh' factor.
Captain Boh
Member # 1282

- posted      Profile for Captain Boh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I thought the most recent one was rather funny, but I think that might have something to do with the fact that some of the stuff in it was almost like "in-jokes" for my brother and I.
The Ginger Beacon
Member # 1585

- posted      Profile for The Ginger Beacon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah. Over here, the simpsons have swapped to a different network (BBC used, and now Channel 4 have em) and have started to run from the very begining again.

But to be honest that might be a good thing. The few 'new' eppisodes i've watched at my parents house sucked. And they've all signed lucrative contracts until the next decade. Bugger.

--------------------
I have plenty of experience in biology. I bought a Tamagotchi in 1998... And... it's still alive.

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps