Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » SG1 "Camelot" [Season Finale Megaspoilers] (Page 4)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: SG1 "Camelot" [Season Finale Megaspoilers]
AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is that true though - why is it hard to believe that people haven't been watching the show for the last ten years - I have. What changed four years ago? Plus people have DVDs.

I think the establishment in 'The Tourment of Tantalus' and 'The Fifth Race' was pretty big. Just because they haven't figured out a good way to introduce a race like, say the Furlings shouldn't mean they should ignore them. I'd rather see the Nox again or the Furlings over seeing the "Foothold" aliens or the Re-tu again.

The Nox must be up there with the Ancients though seeing as they could heal the dead and cloak massive cities. They could also do that neat trick that a few can do - where they open a gate without the need to dial. Who else could do that??

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Humans will be able to in a few years, and it's generally accepted that Apophis had a similar device in his posession for the premiere episodes.

You'll notice that they rarely use the wormhole effect anymore (and even then, it's the new one made for "Atlantis" with a bluer tint). The production team basically got sick of using the very same effect shot made for the movie in every single episode, so in the end it was "screw continuity" and use something new and different (and controllable by them). I won't speak for the writers, but I suspect that this sentiment also applied to a lot of the established aliens and mythology from the first few seasons.

You'll remember too that SG-1 started on Showtime, and when they made the move to Sci-Fi they suddenly became far more popular. There may have been certain legal reasons then that they had to abandon some older plot points too, due tot he change in distributors.

The original thought was that SG-1 would be sent to Skiffy to die in a year or two, but here we are four years later as one of that channel's almost popular shows, plus a spinoff.

Mark <--- Wanted to see Aris Boch again so much...

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I could have done without the Aris Boch episode, personally.
AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Same here.

I mentioned a possible 'fix' for the reason we now see a different wormhole effect...

That when the SGC dialled the Pegasus Galaxy there was an update of the gate-network with new "software" from the Pegasus galaxy gates, which one might assume is more 'advanced' since It was presumably set up by the Ancients after the Milky Way network was set up.

Only problem - they left Atlantis and came back to Earth to basically either die or ascend or breed with the humans here. One might assume that that final dial out would have updated the network - BUT maybe it required a dial TO Atlantis to update the new 'software' - maybe it was set in place by Weir 'n' co 10,000 years before.

Just thinking - why would the Ancients put a pyramid + moon for the Earth Glyph? And same with Abydos... the pyramids are FAR older than even the Goa'uld?

--------------------

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

How about massively cloaked floating cities and healing the dead (remember the Goa'uld got the tech of the Ancients but it was corrupted - and corrupted the user if over used. Presumably the Ancients healing devices wouldn't do that - nor the Nox, themselves.

--------------------

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Just thinking - why would the Ancients put a pyramid + moon for the Earth Glyph? And same with Abydos... the pyramids are FAR older than even the Goa'uld?
Well, the Giza gate wasn't put there by the Ancients. They put the Antarctic gate there. When Ra rediscovered Earth after the Antarctic gate was lost, he put the Giza gate here. So that particular symbol being associated with Earth only goes back until then, I think.
Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

The other way around, sorta. Ra brought his own gate or used the one already there - either way, he created the mythology that the gate and all his technology were of his own creation, and that he was the one true God. When he was ousted from Earth and his gate buried, the other system lords brought their own in (or reactivated the existing one - this was never made especially clear) and operated it from the Antarctic until it was buried there in some natural disaster (remember some Jaffa were found frozen in the episode where they found the Beta gate).

This is how they explained the existence of various Earth cultures in the Galaxy that flourished after Ra's gate was supposedly buried - the other system lords used the second gate for millenia afterwards to port out cultures through the middle ages. When the second gate was also lost, by that time the human stock had been spread across the galaxy and no one realy cared anymore that the original planet was lost.

The Goa'uld were by that time the dominant race in the Galaxy, which persisted until Ra went and got a nuke to the face. Note however that since then almost the entire Galaxy has gotten itself modernised and secularized in only ten years! Tau'ri, you crazy folk...

Mark

PS - Aris Boch would SO kick your ass, ya pimpz.

--------------------

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't think that the System Lords were actually using the Antarctic gate all that much... remember that the Goa'uld didn't usually use ships that actually flew through the gate. And besides, hadn't the Goa'uld actually forgotten where Earth was, which was why they didn't bother us for such a long time?

From my understanding, Ra decided that the Tau'ri were already simply too much trouble at the time of the rebellion, which is why he just flew off instead of taking extraordinary means to suppress the uprising. If he already had any kind of real interstellar empire at that point, he would've ALREADY had a sufficient Human population to spread offworld, anyway. He just didn't anticipate that the Humans would actually develop such technology that could rival the Goa'uld.

My guess is that the few Jaffa discovered near the Antarctic gate were just some random poor schmucks who were sent to scout out what the Goa'uld thought was a barren ice planet. They wandered a bit too far and froze to death.

Concerning the point-of-origin symbol, remember that it wouldn't have mattered whether the Stargate was placed there by Ra, because the symbols would still have to be determined by the Gate network. Remember the whole "alpha gate"/"beta gate" issue from "Watergate" and that season one episode (whose name escapes me)? So the same symbols would've been used all along, regardless of whether the Gates were moved or inaccessible.

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Also, the whole notion that the gate symbols are letters in an alphabet gets interesting with the two POO symbols for Earth.

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay, I've been reading the current issue of the Stargate magazine here at work (yeah, its slow tonight) and something interesting caught my eye. In the section where they give updates on the cast and crew and filming and what not, the AD mentioned that they were filming in the bridge of the Odyssey.... So I think that's a good indication of which ship was blowed up.
Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

Known this for months, man. What we DON'T know is just who survived from the one that didn't make it.

Gateworld.net. I like searching it for Stargate spoilers. It's like doing cocaine. Giant spinning rings of cocaine.

Mark

--------------------

B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Are you sure that the Odyssey wasn't the one hit? I thought it was blown in half, not completely destroyed. If that's the case, there's nothing preventing them from doing some Odyssey filming.
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps