Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » BSG Season 3, According to Ron Moore ($$$ LDYB, Part 2 and Beyond) (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: BSG Season 3, According to Ron Moore ($$$ LDYB, Part 2 and Beyond)
Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*Bump*

Coupla things I noticed from RDM's latest blog.

First off, I see they've expanded one episode to a two-parter. Now, I seem to remember thinking that several eps last season sometimes felt a bit padded; one obvious example was "Resurrection Ship II" (?) which featured about 15 minutes of Jamie Bamber wallowing around in a pond. We'll see what happens when "Exodus I" and "Exodus II" (ep title sounds like a spoiler, but I thought the New Caprica arc was due to last about a half-dozen-odd eps, not just 3 or 4?) air.

Next, there's this question, and his answer:

quote:
". . . Is there significance to the props used, like the hummer and thompson automatic on the wall of the pegasus ready room? Is there an implication that these items evolved in a similar way to the way they have on Earth or is there something deeper to look forwards to?"

The props are all deliberate choices that imply more than just a passing connection between our world and the world of Galactica and there are deeper connections yet to come.

Now, what do you suppose THAT means?

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Guardian 2000
Member # 743

- posted      Profile for Guardian 2000     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
BSG happens in the future: They had a Henry Starling-type industrialist who, instead of using knowledge from the future, was simply watching our TV transmissions.

He's gonna shit when he sees BSG.

Yes, I'm kidding.

I don't see any real way to make the connection RDM is suggesting. Overall the technology level of the Colonies seems well beyond Hummers and Thompsons, and while both were undoubtedly old even in the BSG timeline I didn't have the impression that they were hundreds of years old. I'm sure cultural and technological evolution would be skewed by colonization and the evac from Kobol and all, but still.

--------------------
. . . ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam.

G2k's ST v. SW Tech Assessment

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*reading through the blog*

The season opener is going to be 2 hours long?
After having that 1 & 1/2 hour finale?!
God help them if they ever have to do a feature film. It'd be like Peter Jackson's King Kong all over again...only with more robots and not quite so crap.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, but, let's face it - suspiciously-padded two-parters aside, there's always lots going on, and time goes by quickly.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Moore's comments about the props that come from the "real" world caught my eye too. Of course part of the issue � especially with the Hummer � is obviously an issue of expediency for the shooting, to avoid creating unrealistic Trek-like props. But still, I've often thought that BSG could quite easily happen in our future.

For example, what if there were some kind of Firefly-like exodus from Earth, and everyone who left eventually settled on Kobol? But unlike Firefly, it's possible that some people were left behind on Earth. Over time, especially after the departure from Kobol to the Twelve Colonies, the idea of Earth got twisted into a thirteenth colony instead.

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not only expediency, but budget as well. Remember, they've only got a fraction of the budget that Trek did.

B.J.

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps