Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » SUPERMAN RETURNS (inevitable spoilers) (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: SUPERMAN RETURNS (inevitable spoilers)
Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would have had no problems with the relativity issues either, had the Jor-el footage they played not specifically reminded us that thousands of years had passed since he left Krypton.

I think the saving the plane sequence was just stunning. I'm going to go see it again just for that. The plane breaking up as Supes tries to juggle it instead of miraculously remining in one piece was nice. Though, noone dying from getting thrown around and from the g-forces stretched credibility a bit.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I thought one woman was killed when she was slamed against the back of the plane but she may have survived. If your going to see the movie again just keep that in mind and hopefully you'll find out what happened to her.
Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dude, that was Lois. She got out of her seat to help Dipshit the Presenter-Woman and then everything went south and she became the tennis show in the dryer.

So... Yeah, she lived.

--Jonah

--------------------
"That's what I like about these high school girls, I keep getting older, they stay the same age."

--David "Woody" Wooderson, Dazed and Confused

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just saw it last night. It was certainly good...though I got very fidgety towards the end. Now some of that is to do with my local cinima having cramped seats, but that aside I though the plot was stretched a little bit thin. Maybe it's because Lex's evil plot kicked off fairly early and blueboy wasn't even aware that anything was up until the final act. Everything else is just him flying about, being invulnerable and looking cool. When you compare it to it's stablemate - Batman Begins, actual character development was almost non-existant and motivations were one dimensional. Don't get me wrong, it was a good effort, all the pieces were there, they just didn't seam, to fit together comfortably.
I'm sure the next one will be much better, Singer has already proven he can learn from previous experiance.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Josh
Member # 1884

- posted      Profile for Josh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I loved it. All the references to both the comic and prior films made it much more enjoyable for the hardcore fans.

I thought the end dragged a little, and I didn't care for the idea of Supes being in a hospital.

Oh, and was it just me or was the lady on the plane Nikita?

--------------------
Failure is not an option -- it comes bundled with Windows.

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Finally saw it. *buuurp*

I love how you saw footage of Superman sitting in a bar, knocking back a few cold ones, intercut with shots of Lois being slammed into every wall and surface six ways 'til sunday on the shuttle-liner. And Superman's like, "Yeah, yeah, in a minute!"

X-treme nitpick: The bullet fired at Superman's cornea made the sound of an empty shell when hitting the ground, instead of a solid slug. To quote Luthor; "WROONG!!"

I remember Parker Posey when she pulled dance moves in indie-movies and was semi-hot. This was not hot, it's too bad she didn't get to really live in this movie. But then again, who does?
Spacey was good, and I do think his real-estate scheme was concurring with the original; Gene Hackman wanted all of Australia for himself, the most undeveloped landscape of the planet (plus Otisville).

Good that Frank Langella finally got some space to act a bit, even if he wasn't as acerbic as J.K Simmons' J. Jonah Jameson in "Spiderboy". I feel he's gotten the wind somewhat blown out of him since breaking up with Whoopi.
Also, this must be the first time he's acted in the same movie as Kevin Spacey since "Doomsday Gun"(1994). It's so funny how that movie in VHS- and DVD-releases nowadays has a big picture of Spacey on the cover as a drawing card, although it the movie's all about Langella, and Spacey is just some forgettable CIA agent that once was a friend of Langella's character.

I didn't like Kate Bosworth at all. Stiff and bald. I'd've preferred the other Kate B. I shudder to think that the times have moved along so much that the other Kate B. is not eligible to be Superman's girlfriend, would've been considered old compared to the kid who played Superman. It's wrong I tell you.

The short nod to the times past, when Lois and Cal-El were talking, mentioned a time when he went back to see what was left of Krypton, just "to see it for himself". Is this covered in any of the comics or something? I'm surprised they added it to the script, even if it was just filler for the time-discrepancy when Superman was "Away".

P.S. I now have a nice Humperdinck-collection. Not just "Release Me" (thanks to "The Fast Show") but "Quando Quando Quando" (Superman elevator scene).
Tha's it. *buuurp*

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think the return the the ruins of Krypton was filmed but cut from the final film.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lee:
Ja, ja. Wunderbar! Suddenly zis is all makink sense. Ze Spider-Man film iss beink ze holy grail of ze superhero film for zo lonk, ze nerds are beink unwillink to admit to zemselves zat it sucks ze big one. Zen, ven ze Hulk film iss comink out, zis double-vammy iss beink sufficient to enrage zem zuch zat zey are prepared to admit zat a bad superhero film can be existink. But - and zis iss vere ze pathology is arisink - zey vill not admit zat Spider-man blew. Hackneyed zough ze script iss beink, and ze performances beink zub-par and hammy zroughout, zey ztill clink to zis delusion, lest zeir entire vorld-view iss zhatterink like ze. . . zing zat zhatters. A course of treatment I am recommendink. Pliss to be tellink me about your mother.

From now on all your post need to be written like this [Cool]

While this 1st movie had its faults, I think a sequel has the potential to be one of the best Superman movies to date. Provided of course that the villain in the next movie has better scheme that doesn't involve real estate.

Da_bang80
A few sectors short of an Empire
Member # 528

- posted      Profile for Da_bang80     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mars Needs Women:
From now on all your post need to be written like this [Cool]
[/QB]

Why? So that we always have to take an extra couple minutes just to understand what the hell he's saying?

I saw a commercial for the Superman Returns Video game. Looks pretty neat, but how does the health system work if he's pretty much invulnerable? Do all the bullets/enemy attacks have kryptonite in them?

--------------------
Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change.
The courage to change the things I cannot accept.
And the wisdom to hide the bodies of all the people I had to kill today because they pissed me off.

Remember when your parents told you it's dangerous to play in traffic?

Nim
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I always hated that, making a game with nigh-invulnerable heroes, like RoboCop or the Terminator, and forcing them to be wimps. Even the Predator in AvP 1&2 was much more wimpy than in the movies.
In the second movie alone, he took about 50-60 pistol and rifle rounds to his armor, then 7 shotgun blasts to his bare abdomen. Then he went toe-to-toe with Glover, just warming up like.

I could maybe see a modern rendition of Zod & Co in a sequel. They could make use of their new powers much more creatively than the first time around, which was still pretty good.

If not that, then something else coming from Krypton and getting supercharged. Something nasty.
But not a third movie, with Dave Chapelle that learns how to use computers, gets a job with a rich guy that is planning to build a supercomputer to finish off Superman. And Dave's sitting at the computer shooting up Cal-El, going all "GaGaGaGa! In yo face, whiteboy! Oh it's so good!"

Da_bang80
A few sectors short of an Empire
Member # 528

- posted      Profile for Da_bang80     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, It's kind of hard to make a game fun if there's no challenge to it.

--------------------
Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change.
The courage to change the things I cannot accept.
And the wisdom to hide the bodies of all the people I had to kill today because they pissed me off.

Remember when your parents told you it's dangerous to play in traffic?

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Therein lies the problem with Superman as a character: he's boring.
If he cant be hurt, looks great, is wildly popular and can do anything, the character gets annoying real fast- might as well read a comic about the adventures of Jesus (assuming Jesus could fly and had a really dumb reporter girlfriend that he never slept with).

The Justice League cartoon did right by Superman by both making him not-quite so invulnerable and giving him frustration over the restraint he must always use when fighting baddies.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Nim
Member # 205

That's why I don't care much for DC anymore. 1: Everyone is more or less goody-two-shoes and 2: most of the heroes only define themselves through, and stand out because of, their costume, which receives only minute alterations over the years.

Marvel and X-Men is somewhere inbetween, I think. The big labels can be PG-13 lame from time to time, but the flux and hero body count of the "Exiles"-series for example (granted, made possible through the "near-infinite timelines"-plot device) makes everything very uncertain. Like in the first half of LOST season 2, almost anyone can go at any time.

That's why I think the MAX-series of later years, especially Punisher, is a nice change. Everyone gets hurt and ethics are out the window.
Castle reminds me of Roland Deschain sometimes. Anyone know how long until the "Dark Tower"-comic hits the shelves?

B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey, I *finally* saw this movie last night! (Okay, so it took a while. That happens when you have kids.) I was actually suprised that I enjoyed it so much. So many nods to the first Superman movie in it, even down to the style of the opening credits. Rescuing the airplane in a packed baseball stadium was a hell of an entrance to make.

Even so, I did have an issue with the ages of the various actors. Superman and Lois look way too young, and this 5 year old boy looks like he's a least nine. (I have a 7 year old son myself.) Reeve and Kidder were 26 and 30 for the original, and Routh and Bosworth are 27 and 23. They should have gotten actors who at least looked like they were in their mid-30s.

Possible deleted scene? When Lois' purse breaks and the contents spill out, Clark's glasses also fall off. They seemed to make a point of showing him picking up her phone with his glasses off. Maybe it was a camera phone that took his picture (sans glasses) when it dropped? Might have been interesting to see what might have resulted from that.

My wife and I both thought it was absolutely hilarious that it takes the boy about 2 seconds to realize who Clark really is. He never said anything, but it was obvious from the look on his face. We both love the quote from that one future badguy in the TV series Lois & Clark: "How stupid is she?!?"

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tempus: Hello?! DUH!!

I'm guessing they went with such youthful actors because they wanted to renew the franchise - and if a new generation audience was to get with Clark and Lois, then they'd have to be rejeuvenated to grow old along with them.

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps