Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » The latest B5 revival attempt. (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: The latest B5 revival attempt.
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lame aintitcoolnews link.
quote:
So I thought about it, and I suggested a bunch of short films. Little mini-movies or an anthology show set in the Babylon 5 universe. I pick a character and develop an hour-long story around that character. Stories that I wanted to tell during the B5 series but never had the chance to develop. They said, Okay. I said I wanted complete creative control. Do not change my words that I write, and I want that in writing. They said, Okay. And I want to direct. They said, Okay.

This project was green lit less than two weeks ago. Its going to happen. Production starts in September in Vancouver, Canada. Post-production will occur from October to February with a release of the first three anthologies in the second quarter of 2007.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow. Two reasons it'll suck right there- total creative control for JMS and not any tweaking of his horrid dialogue.

With no one to say "Chop-Socky weapons systems is a really bad idea" JMS is sure to give a stellar product.

On the other hand, I'm all for it- it'll keep this bozo off Trek.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In which of your many fantasy worlds does a director/producer not having full creative control automatically guarantee that a show doesn't ever suck or have the odd episode with a really bad idea (but sure interspersed with great dialogue) made?

Your critique of JMS is getting awfully old, too.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's no guarentee at all it wont suck, but I've read great JMS stuff- really truly great stories he wrote for comics.
With an editor.

I really think the guy can be a extremely creative person, but in recent years he's become an egotist, and not allowing anyone to shoot down bad ideas is the downfall of many such creative type in the comics field.
It holds doubly true with JMS, who actually blamed the fans for LOTR's poor showing.

While I dont think studio execs should be re-writing dialogue, (they can hire someone qualified to assist JMS though!) getting a studio/network to say "we're good with whatever you want to schlock out" as a pre-requisite to starting is certainly a recipie for disaster.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
All right. Science fiction's one-hit wonder stikes again!

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, not just in recent years. JMS has always been like that, from the first episode of B5 onwards. The difference is that today he knows (and is a bit full of himself because of it) what the result can be if he's handed all the ropes, and he thinks his record where B5 is concerned is spotless. That's why he won't accept so much as a studio note anymore, doing B5 all on his own against major odds and the cancellation of Crusade (after being treated like shit by TNT) have locked him into "reject all outside interference, good or bad" mode.

--------------------
".mirrorS arE morE fuN thaN televisioN" - TEH PNIK FLAMIGNO

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
He claims otherwise. How much that's true, who knows?

http://www.jmsnews.com/msg.aspx?id=1-17559

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The last times I watched a JMS-created work, "Crusade" and "Legends of the Rangers" both were sunk because of outside influences. Really, does anyone NOT know the story of how TNT demanded that JMS include stuff like more sex and fistfights, and that when he finally drew a line and refused to make more changes, they pulled the plug on the show... before the pilot episode had even aired?

Crusade wasn't great, but it had immense potential in many of its characters. And really, how many shows hit the nail on the head from the very beginning. (And even shows that do, like Firefly, still get canned. But that's neither here nor there.)

I just watched "In the Beginning" with my family last week... I'm gathering that these "anthology stories" are probably going to be in a similar, but probably not as grand, vein. I eagerly look forward to it!

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, we know one side of that story.

As for myself, I've seen B5 a few times (that is, the whole show from start to finish; not including Crusade, which I only watched the once; and I missed that last pilot, or rather, missed most of it; catching the last ten minutes or so, combined with the general opinion of it, kept me from seeking it out again) but in a sense I'm more interested in the nature of the project. I've been following MIT's Convergence Culture Consortium with some interest lately, and this seems like an interesting example of what they keep going on about.

So, stepping aside from the argument about just how hard B5 totally rocked/sucked, do you suppose something like this has legs outside of a somewhat narrow, long tail-y niche of wizened fans? Does it need to? Am I shallow for worrying about production values? (Actually, personally, I am not all that interested regardless, but I am sort of thinking with an eye towards other TV shows nearer and dearer to me that I would like to see more of.)

HE SHOULD JUST PUT THEM UP ON YOUTUBE I THINK AM I RITE??

(Am I?)

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If there's any silver lining here, it's that we know Vancouver can crank out decent looking sci-fi on a budget - they've got a track record stretching two decades now. "Legend of the Rangers", complete with its silly weapons station, sticks as one of the better LOOKING entries to the B5 canon.

The stories from jms can be good. His own writing and atrocious dialogue can't. So will the carpet match the drapes on this latest return to the well? We'll see.

Mark

PS - Just to prove myself right, I went and re-watched the boring parts of "A Call to Arms". There are numerous places where people are together, and one of them just starts talking... And talking... And talking... And no one else reacts or replies or discusses. There's even one speech when Garibaldi is walking around the bridge of a ship talking and giving orders... To no one. And then he leaves! There's one guy he looks at for a split second as he leaves, but during the entire time beforehand he doesn't address anyone, discuss things, or whatever. They just keep talking at no one for no reason. ARRRGH!

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Toadkiller
Member # 425

- posted      Profile for Toadkiller     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I never was able to get past the era of "cardboard man" aka the first commander of B5.

*Shudder*

--------------------
Twee bieren tevreden, zullen mijn vriend betalen.

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, I know what you mean. Sinclair was such an AWFUL actor. Fortunately, he's gone after the first season, with only a single appearance in a later episode and another brief cameo. If you can survive a small number of episodes from the first season to get the introductions of the major plots, then you can move on and enjoy the rest of the series.

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rewatch season 1 after a long break from B5 - it is and Sinclair is actually WAY better than you remember. Then my rewatching moved into season 2 and I really disliked Sheridan after watching season 1 a couple of times. He was to... corny and over the top.
Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In many ways, Michael O'Hare reminds me of Philip Anglim - and not just because there's a slight resemblance. With Vedek Bareil, I could never figure out whether he was just being all enigmatic and holy, or if it was just that Anglim was the most wooden actor in Trek ever. The official line remains that TPTB, including JMS, felt that they needed a more bombastic take on the hero, rather than the aura of quiet confidence Sinclair gave off.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

Andrew: Yeah, Sheridan's entrance in S2 was like a bucket of cold water to the face. Refreshing, but not exactly pleasant. [Wink] I've read that JMS and Bruce Boxleitner deliberately overdid his happy-go-lucky attitude for the first half of the season, to establish more of a character arc as all of the doom and gloom developed.

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps