Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » Tell me this is an early August Fool's joke (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Tell me this is an early August Fool's joke
AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lookie here

Friggin' discraceful. Absolutely stupid. They would only THINK about making a sequal because of the success of the series. The movie, frankly - when I saw it - sucked. I like it now if you take into account the events of the first 4 seasons of SG1 but in no way was the movie a fantastic piece of film.

This also denies the SG1 team from having their own movie.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1. Think Elseworld
2. I thought the movie was good, or I wouldn't have watched the series.
3. Why?

--------------------
"You are a terrible human, Ritten." Magnus
"Urgh, you are a sick sick person..." Austin Powers
A leek too, pretty much a negi.....

Captain Boh
Member # 1282

- posted      Profile for Captain Boh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It does seem like a silly idea that would only confuse the masses. I'd still watch it though.

Also, I saw Stargate children's party kits at a store recently. They looked like someone had just slapped the name Stargate on some generic egyptian themed party kits as they had nothing on them that specificly tied into the movie (they were dated 1994) I found them to be rather funny.

B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I also think this would only confuse people with a casual understanding of the TV show. And does he still have the right to use the name "Stargate" for his own devices after 12+ seasons of episodes?

After re-reading the story, it's MGM who owns the name, and that's who he's pitching it to. If the execs at MGM are considering this, they're really disconnected from reality. Besides, can he even get Spader away from "Boston Legal"?

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
...And pay him enough? OTOH, Kurt Russel isn't really doing anything...

There are many irreconcilable differences between the movie and series universes. He's pitching again because MGM is different than back then, and he may be able to ride the success of the TV franchise (which he has confessed to not liking at all) to get it done.

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Like this hasn't been done before -- hello, Highlander? The movies and the series were completely disconnected (well, until that last godawful one).

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

WizArtist II
"How can you have a yellow alert in Spacedock? "
Member # 1425

- posted      Profile for WizArtist II     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And then he'll talk about this being the middle three movies of a nine movie arc....

Highlander was a great concept that got Gawdawfull treatment.

--------------------
There are 10 types of people in the world...those that understand Binary and those that don't.

OnToMars
Now on to the making of films!
Member # 621

- posted      Profile for OnToMars     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The masses will get over it.

I don't understand why people shit bricks over two continuities.

--------------------
If God didn't want us to fly, he wouldn't have given us Bernoulli's Principle.

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
MGM wants as much Stargate as they can get. I mean, there's that third series allegedly in the planning stages, and it seems to me they've been a little cagey about whether it would replace SG-1 or just be hour three.

And check out this crazy anti-TV show talk from the article!!
quote:
Devlin also believes that his original mythology can coexist with the hit TV series, the events of which picked up one year after the end of the film. "I think the series could still live at the end of the third sequel," he said. "So we're going to try to not tread on their stories."
So anyway, yeah, what's the big deal here?
Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Interestingly enough, from IMDB:

"Roland Emmerich and Dean Devlin were sued for stealing the storyline from someone who submitted the story to them about ten years before the movie was made (they "rejected" the story at the time). The person that sued the men (a student of Egyptology) even had a well-respected Egyptologist from Johns Hopkins University vouch for him, since he put his own theories into the story. The only differences between the story and the movie are slight name variations. The issue was finally settled out of court."

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Mucus
Member # 24

- posted      Profile for Mucus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sol System: It may have something to do with the fact that his tone changed a bit:

quote:
As I've said before, I haven't watched beyond the first few shows, but from what I saw in those episodes, every choice they made disappointed me. It didn't represent at all in story or in spirit what STARGATE was all about. You must remember that Roland fought for 11 years to bring this story to the screen and I fought alongside him for the last six of those years. So it was something we both felt very passionately about.
It's like you spend nine months giving birth to a beautiful child,then watch it get sold off into white slavery. That's what the t.v. show feels like to us. The perversion of our wonderful child.

Anyway, perhaps the show has improved. I don't know. I don't really care. It just makes me sad.

-Dean Devlin

link
AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Get over it. Geez. I would say the series success in itself is proof that it shat all over THEIR vision. Sounds like he has JMS syndrome.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Zefram
Member # 1568

- posted      Profile for Zefram     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
It's like you spend nine months giving birth to a beautiful child,then watch it get sold off into white slavery. That's what the t.v. show feels like to us. The perversion of our wonderful child.
Aren't these the same guys who took a 40 year old franchise (Godzilla), changed it to the point that disgusted and disappointed nearly all its fans, and then had the gall to ridicule the original in public?

--------------------
"Having is not so pleasing a thing, after all, as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true."

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Egomania aside, I'd be really intrested in seeing what was originally planned (assuming that's true) for the trilogy of movies.

I think that "Elseworld" notion is right on- it's the attitude that allowed me to like SG1 in the first place- 'cause it's a far cry from the movie.

It would not diminish Sg1 in my eyes, but could be comfusing if a new fan of these new movies were to watch SG1 (too much backstory for new fansd at this point).

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mucus:
Sol System: It may have something to do with the fact that his tone changed a bit:

quote:
As I've said before, I haven't watched beyond the first few shows, but from what I saw in those episodes, every choice they made disappointed me. It didn't represent at all in story or in spirit what STARGATE was all about. You must remember that Roland fought for 11 years to bring this story to the screen and I fought alongside him for the last six of those years. So it was something we both felt very passionately about.

Anyway, perhaps the show has improved. I don't know. I don't really care. It just makes me sad.

-Dean Devlin

link
As big an SG1 & Atlantis fan as I am, I can see where the man is comming from. I mean they'd already thought out an arc for all these characters so it must bite a little see them drastically altered, killed off, re-cast or forgotten altogether. Kwolski (sp?) is a good example, I think it's mentioned in the film's DVD commentary that they had a very interesting story for him in the next two films and the series kills him off almost right away.
I'd also imagine turing their "last survivor of dying race come god" into a bunch of squabbling parasites who pranced about acting like Ming the Mercyless must have gauled them a bit.
Don't get me wrong, I love the shows but they are very different animals from the movie and the changes I mentioned were necessary to adapt the story for a weekly format, however I can see what would have upset them so.

As for these new films, I'm surprised they're going ahead with their old concepts and I'm very interested to see where they go with it.
If anyone's having trouble accepting seperate continuity, just pretend it's a funky alternate universe though the quantum mirror and relax.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps