Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Star Wars » Did Vader know... (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Did Vader know...
Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK, here's something I thought of in the shower this morning...

At the End of ANH, Vader had never seen Luke (the adult Luke anyway), only fel his connection to the Force while he was on his attack run.

At the beginning of ESB, Vader was looking for him.

At the end of ESB, Vader knows that Luke is his son.

My questions are threefold: 1) Did Vader know he had kids before he "felt" the adult Luke? 2) If he did, did he know that Luke was his son before ESB 3)If he didn't know that Luke was his son or that he had children (he didn't know that Leia was his daughter in RofJ until Luke gave it up), when and how did he find out?

I've heard that there is expanded material on this, but I've never read it. Anyone got the inside skinny on this?

------------------
"The sons of the Prophet were valiant and bold,
And quite unacustomed to fear.
But, of all, the most reckless, or so I am told,
Was Abdulah Boul Boul Ameer."
Aban's Illustration www.alanfore.com

Epoch
Geology Rocks
Member # 136

- posted      Profile for Epoch     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm more concerned about the fact that you were thinking about this in the shower.

------------------
God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the weaponry to make the difference.

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Random things come to me when I'm lathering up...

------------------

Mucus
Member # 24

- posted      Profile for Mucus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Vader knows what you did last summer....

------------------
"The Guide says that there is an art to flying...or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss." - Life, the Universe and Everything

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Vader wants YOU!

As a matter of fact, I've thought about this too.

IIRC, Leia and Luke being Vader's kids wasn't set in stone until between the first and second movie. In fact, the script first made Vader say that Obi-Wan was Luke's father. And I think the Leia thing was an addition as well, late in the scriptwriting of TESB, when Luke had to abandon his studies to go play with the big boys...

------------------
Don't kill me, I'm charming!

Nim
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If we pretend that Leia WAS Vaders daughter in thew first movie, and C3P0 was his own build, then it's strange that he didn't detect the emotional bonds in the air...
If Leia indeed was a potential Jedi, as Yoda implyed with the "No...there's another...", then I think Vader should've felt the concentration of her force when interrogating her in ANH.
She probably used the focus and psychological strength of the force when resisting a professional imperial interrogation droid.

As for threepio, well maybe there were so many protocol droids after him that Vader lost track of that particular unit.
Anakin couldn't have built him from scratch, it must've been an industrial design even in those days.

I mean, the little shit isn't Rain Man. Building a droid with fully functional parameters, ethics and language banks (six million languages?) can't be compacted into a single invention. It takes years to pull of a thing like that from scratch.

That would be like saying that one man or team alone invented the computer. If you look at a motherboard, all the separate components were invented individually and put under patent accordingly.

------------------

Matrix
AMEAN McAvoy
Member # 376

- posted      Profile for Matrix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree, there are whole bunch of C3PO in eavy movie. So either rebuilt one that was junked by his owner "Flying Cartoon Fly" or he just bought a used one and rebuilt the thing to fit his needs.

------------------
Signature for sale! For a mere price of $20 per letter you get this wonderful little space to say your own things. Get it now while there's still space!

-All you base belong to infinity. -infinity11

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

You can see the copper body that will eventually end up on 3P0 in Watto's shop. Plus there was one on the Trade Fed ship. TC-14 IIRC.

There area alot of people that are stong with the Force. Just because he sensed that in Leia, wouldn't have necessarily lead him to believe that she was his daughter. His surprise that Luke had a sister in RotJ made it clear (at least to me) that, at that point, he was only aware of his son.

Which means, he must not be aware that Amidala is pregnant in Ep 3.

------------------

Matrix
AMEAN McAvoy
Member # 376

- posted      Profile for Matrix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So Vader will be fucking a girl twice his age...

Vadrer was suprised that Luke had a sister, so he was not aware of it before then. I would like to believe that after the Death Star's destruction, Vadrer researched who the pilot was and found out his name. Vader then put the fact that Luke's last name is Skywalker like his, great pilot, and strong with the force.

------------------
Signature for sale! For a mere price of $20 per letter you get this wonderful little space to say your own things. Get it now while there's still space!

-All you base belong to infinity. -infinity11

Nim
Member # 205

Moreso, Vader only caught that Luke had a sister. He didn't know it was Leia or he'd known she would've killed herself twice as fast as Luke if faced with Sith assimilation.

------------------

Teelie
Member # 280

- posted      Profile for Teelie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So in conclusion...

1) Did Vader know he had kids before he "felt" the adult Luke?

No, it's even stated (somewhere my memory is currently eluding) that if Vader ever knew he had any children, he would betray the Emperor (either through returning to the Light Side or turning his kid(s) to the Dark Side and taking over the Empire).
A small side note- in the books, the Emperor's use of the Dark Side was so severe, he had to have his body repeatedly cloned to repair the damage, not even bacta (which in the books is greatly exaggerated as a "miracle" cure to nearly anything) couldn't fix him. This would mean he wanted to rule for eternity and not have Vader succeed him (most likely through their normal method, kill the master, become the master), which would undoubtly happen if any other force sensitive opponents were alive, especially his children. He wanted Vader on a leash, close by but not needing to bite. Vader could have everything he wanted to the point of supreme power over the Empire.

2) If he did, did he know that Luke was his son before ESB

Research most likely in Imperial databases, and any spies/news that came to him or through interrogation of captured Rebels (if any).

3)If he didn't know that Luke was his son or that he had children (he didn't know that Leia was his daughter in RofJ until Luke gave it up), when and how did he find out?

Between ANH and ESB, he found out that he had a son through the methods answered in question 2, and wanted to turn him to the Dark Side and become the new Master (which every Sith aspires to) and his son as an apprentice.

------------------
I knew a blonde that was so stupid that she studied for a blood test.

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

Yah, I agree with all that. Wasn't Mara Jade sent to kill Luke during the events in RotJ because the Emperor was beginning to sense that Vader wanted to take over with Luke as his number 2?

And, whoever said it is right, VAder didn't realise that Leia was the sister he sensed from Luke. But research probably would have revealed that eventually.

Which brings up another question: Leia's name was changed to Organa, that of her adoptive parents. Why wasn't Luke's changed to conceal his identity? I mean, some people from Tatooine must have remembered the pod racing little squirt named Skywalker...

------------------

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sometimes the best places to hide are in plain view.

Besides, Mos Espa could've been on the other side of Tatooine.

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant
Average Rated 8.32 out of 10 Smileys by Fabrux (with seven eps posted)
"Oh, yes, screw logic, let's go for a theory with no evidence!"
-Omega 11:48am, Jan. 19th, 2001

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

Well, I think it's obvious that Obi Wan chose Tatooine to hide Luke out on because Vader would probably be reluctant to ever go there again. He probably will have some sort of deep seeded emotions for that dusty little planet by the end of Ep 3 if not Ep 2. I still think changing Luke's last name to Lars would've been a good idea except for the fact that it would've sounded dumb.

------------------

Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Given that Leia is Vader's daughter, why didn't he sense any form of force in her when he saw her twice in ANH, and once in ESB. Certainly Vader would have noticed.

------------------
"In a completely unrelated news story, I have a date tomorrow night."
- Omega, in trying to explain why pigs are now flying, why Microsoft products are now working perfectly, hell freezing over, and George W Bush giving a flawless speech. 04/06/01, 12:17AM

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps