Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Star Wars » A sequel trilogy for Star Wars??? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: A sequel trilogy for Star Wars???
MIB
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Has anybody heard about this? I have heard that Lucas was thinking of making a sequel tilogy, but then I heard the after episodes 2 and 3 are realesed, that's it. No more Star Wars. I have also heard the Star Wars was originally intended to be a TWELVE movie series. Did anybody here the same thing?

------------------
"We have to get drunk immediately."----Gattaca

IP: Logged
Michael Dracon
aka: NightWing or Altair
Member # 4

- posted      Profile for Michael Dracon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay, here is the deal:

George Lucas made up a story. He wanted to turn it into a movie. It didn't fit into one movie. So then he'd fit it into 3 movie. It didn't fit into 3 movies so he'd put it into 3 trilogies.

But then he didn't know if the public would like his story, so he took out one part of the story that could be used for one single movie, and not leave much plot lines open. That became Star Wars 4, which later got the extra title 'A New Hope'. because the movie became a big success, and parts 5 and 6 of the 9 were going to be turned into movies as well.

As far as we know now, only the first 6 part are meant to be movies, according to one interview with George Lucas. I think he won't film parts 7, 8 and 9 because that is about Luke and not Anakin/Darth Vader like the first 6 parts.

Part 7, 8 and 9 are available as pocket books though, as are the many other trilogies and single books that are in the same time line or further into the future (I believe we are about 15 or 18 years further from SW4 now).

------------------
"We have a good arrangement. He supplies the weapons, I use them."
- Blade

USS Vanguard
i hate clowns
Member # 130

- posted      Profile for USS Vanguard     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If your talking about the Thrawn trilogy, i don't think they are supposed to be "THE" episodes 7-9, just another trilogy

------------------
Signatures are for losers

USS Vanguard
i hate clowns
Member # 130

- posted      Profile for USS Vanguard     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And shouldn't this be in the starwars forum?

------------------
Signatures are for losers

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's old news, I knew that shortly after the first movie hit the big screens..... But, then again, I was a kid that was watching TOS then........

------------------
"One's ethics are determined by what we do when no one is looking" Nugget
Star Trek: Gamma Quadrant
Star Trek: Legacy
Read them, rate them, got money, film them

"...and I remain on the far side of crazy, I remain the mortal enemy of man, no hundred dollar cure will save me..." WoV

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The "Star Wars is suppossed to be 9 movies" rumour is one of those "facts" that WON'T DIE, despite being wrong. It's right up there with "humans only use 10% of their brain" on it's overall level of wrongness.

They are close. When he wrote the original movie, Lucus sketched background information. He also realised he had too much plot, so he only used the first bit. If it had been one movie, the part that became A New Hope would have ended with Luke joining the rebels. But he had to have a climax to the film, so he took the climax from the overall story, the Death Star. Which created a problem when he actually got to do sequels.

Still, proving that he is one of the most imaginitive people on the planet, when he realised that he'd already used the Death Star, and that he needed a new climax for the trilogy, his brain fired into overdrive, and came up with, frankly, one of the most original and daring ideas in movie history ever.

"Er, let's just use the Death Star again. But, like, use TWO".

And then they dropped the idea of using two. Genius again.

He also realised that he could spin the backstory out into another 3 films. If he ever wanted to. Which he does. Now.

Star Wars officially became Episode IV: A New Hope, when the Empire Strikes Back was released. Lucus was hoping to create the whole Saturday afteroon serial feel.

The follow on books, largely started in the 90s by Timothy Zahn and teh "Thrawn" trilogy, have nothing what so ever to do with any ideas Lucus might have had for the story after Jedi. I doubt he gave it much thought.

Lucus has also said, several times, that once he's done episode 3, that's it. For ever.

Apart from possibly fiddling with IV-VI again. And doing the DVD's. But then that's it! Forever!

So, to sum up, Lucus never intended there to be episodes VII-IX, and you just try cutting out 90% of someone's brain, and see what they act like. GO ON!

------------------
You know, when Comedy Central asked us to do a Thanksgiving episode, the first thought that went through my mind was, "Boy, I'd like to have sex with Jennifer Aniston."
-Trey Parker, co-creator of South Park

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Vanguard: Indeed... *sweeps the thread that-a-way*

------------------
"Although, from what I understand, having travelled around the Mid-west quite a bit, apparently Jesus is coming, so I guess the choice now is we should decide whether we should spit or swallow."
-Maynard James Keenan

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And Lucas also said, in an interview, that he wants 7-9 to be made, but it probably won't be him doing it. So I'm pretty optimistic about the sequels.

So, how much of the brain DO we use actively, Einstein?

------------------
Don't kill me, I'm charming!

The Talented Mr. Gurgeh
Member # 318

- posted      Profile for The Talented Mr. Gurgeh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think the issue being referred to is how much we use for conscious thought. A large amount of brainpower is required just to keep us alive.

------------------
"If you can't beat your computer at chess, try kickboxing."

Nim
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, and all of it gets bloodflow and energy. Now, obviously the "harddrive" or the braincells can't be filled up, that wouldn't be good. I want to learn more, I'm not ready yet.

------------------

Nim
Member # 205

Although the potential SW-sequels are a little bit more interesting...

------------------

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's more of a jab against the people who believe in telepathy, psychic powers, and say "well, we only use 10% of our brains. If we could tap into the rest of it, then we'd be able to fly. And see fairys!"

I wouldn't hold my breath for any SW sequels. Episode 3 isn't even close yet.

------------------
You know, when Comedy Central asked us to do a Thanksgiving episode, the first thought that went through my mind was, "Boy, I'd like to have sex with Jennifer Aniston."

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If they DID want to do a sequal trilogy, they'd have to hurry up before everyone got too old... At the moment would be the perfect time, since we could see what had happened 20 years after TROtJ. Harrison Ford alREADY looks about 70...

------------------
Homer: I'm gonna miss Springfield. This town's been awfully good to us.
Bart: No, it hasn't, Dad. That's why we're leaving.
Homer: Oh, yeah. [pokes his head out the window] So long, Stinktown!

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

Now would be the perfect time to see what had happened 20 years on? Well, wouldn't 1991 have been the perfect time to see what had happened 10 years on? And so on...

------------------

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Any sequel movies would take place well after the books' timeline range. The only returning main character would likely be Luke -- about the same age Obi-Wan was in Star Wars. But I'd personally be holding out for Wedge, to...

--Jonah

------------------
"It's obvious I'm dealing with a moron..."

--Col. Edwards, ROBOTECH

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps