Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Star Wars » laser weapons in Star Wars games (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: laser weapons in Star Wars games
Da_bang80
A few sectors short of an Empire
Member # 528

- posted      Profile for Da_bang80     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have one question.

--------------------
Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change.
The courage to change the things I cannot accept.
And the wisdom to hide the bodies of all the people I had to kill today because they pissed me off.

Remember when your parents told you it's dangerous to play in traffic?

Da_bang80
Member # 528

- posted      Profile for Da_bang80     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And it is...

Why is it that in the Star Wars FPS' (dark forces and DF2) the blasters have a recoil? There is no physical projectile being fired, only light and energy. If anyone knows the answer i'd be grateful, i've been pondering that riddle for some time now.

--------------------
And the wisdom to hide the bodies of all the people I had to kill today because they pissed me off.

MIB
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
uhhhhhhh. My guess is that somebody, somewhere f*cked up. Dark Forces sucks sooooooo much.......
IP: Logged
Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The blasters utilize a very powerful and very hot laser beam. As it is fired, the air immediately around the laser beam is superheated. As the beam cuts out, a vacuum is formed in the space of the laser beam and the air quickly moves in to fill the space. As the air rushs in, you have a recoil-like reaction to the laser beam being fired.

Of course, I'm speaking with no experience in thermodynamics or other high-level physics. Your mileage may vary.

--------------------
The philosopher's stone. Those who possess it are no longer bound by the laws of equivalent exchange in alchemy. They gain without sacrifice and create without equal exchange. We searched for it, and we found it.

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1.) Video game. I suppose you think they didn't properly model the physics of a real ZIG fighter, too.

2.) Dark Forces was a great game.

MIB
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dark Forces sucked and yo know it! OH GOD! 4:50 AM?! Lack of sleep.......getting.....serious.....
IP: Logged
Da_bang80
Member # 528

I tend to think that someone did screw up, but only in the games. Because i only notice recoil actions in the movies with the turbolasers on the death star. so maybe it is something that has to do with what seigfried said.

--------------------

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The weapons don't fire lasers. They fire plasma bolts.

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

Da_bang80
Member # 528

No, they fire a "beam of intense energy coupled with light". not plasma. quote from the essential guide to weapons and technology. my copies a little moldy from being left next to an open window during a rain shower. oops.

--------------------

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The SW "lasers" probably aren't lasers, third-party RPG books notwithstanding.
Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The recoil effect is shown almost everywhere in the movies, like when Han destroyed the comm station in ANH. Of course it was mostly because the props fired blanks and gave a mild kick, but it goes well with the other facts of energy details in SW.

The lightsabre blade is most certainly producing gyroscopic effects around its core, so swinging it is not an effortless move. The same could be with laser bolts, the weapon "kicks" the bolt in the butt so that it travels in the direction of the barrel.

This could explain why blasters and other SW energy weapons don't reach their target instantly. The energy used to propel the blast can't be too high or it would use up the magazine/power cell too fast, giving an ordinary blaster really fast shots but only ten in a clip...

With a heavier weapon more power can be diverted to each shot. The ventral turret of the 'Falcon fired really highpowered rounds at the snowtroopers on Hoth, in TESB. Much faster bolts and more shots per second.

--------------------
"I'm nigh-invulnerable when I'm blasting!"
Mel Gibson, X-Men

Omega
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And since the bolts vary in speed, they AREN'T electromagnetic radiation, Essential Guides not withstanding. They're matter. Thus the kick, and thus also most likely plasma.

--------------------

Da_bang80
Member # 528

very well, i will concede to your all knowing super-brain.....this time.......

--------------------

Omega
Member # 91

Many in this forum could benefit from your example.

--------------------

Da_bang80
Member # 528

lol. i like to think of myself as a die-hard Star Wars fan. (some of the remix's on the net are really cool), but lately i've broadened my horizons to include Star Trek, Battletech, and Babylon 5. But Star Wars will forever hold a special place in my heart. it was the first science fiction movie i ever saw. i can still remember it. also Tie Fighter was the first decent computer game I ever played.

--------------------

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps