Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Star Wars » $ Pseudo-Non Spoilers. (AotC & ANH) (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: $ Pseudo-Non Spoilers. (AotC & ANH)
Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So, why would the clonetroopers change their helmets? They seem to be pretty good in AotC.

-

-

The armors are identical, but the main difference is in the helmets. Given that AotC and ANH aren't that far apart, what would cause them to change the helmets?

[ May 18, 2002, 11:24: Message edited by: UM. ]

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Mandalorians probably sued Palpatine for copyright.

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe Palpatine just doesn't want ANY left-over designs from the Republic ... or he decided he didn't like the helmets. Who knows?

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not that the Emperor of the galaxy would sit up late going through armor upgrade proposals, he probably has people to do that for him.

The easiest answer must be "development". The newer helmets had more features and so on.

The clone troopers look a bit like "The Silencer", the super-soldier you play in "Crusader: No Regret".
http://mobygames.com/game/covers/gameId,852/

--------------------
"I'm nigh-invulnerable when I'm blasting!"
Mel Gibson, X-Men

Grokca
Member # 722

- posted      Profile for Grokca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes you are talking a lot of years between AOTC and Star Wars, is the US army still wearing the same uniforms they wore during WWII or Korea? Of course things change,this is a republican army whereas during Star Wars it is an empirical amry, you can't wear the same helmets, surely.

[ May 18, 2002, 19:33: Message edited by: Grokca ]

--------------------
"and none of your usual boobery."
M. Burns

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Of course, it does sort of look like the only thing they CHANGED are the helmets ...

... does anyone else not like the idea of Stormtroopers being clones? I'm sure its not like the Empire has trouble getting recruits ... we're talking tens of thousands of worlds under its rule.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, it DOES explain the extremely poor marksmanship of the Stormtroopers in the original trilogy -- you can blame it on bad training during the growth process. [Wink]

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Jeff Raven
Always Right
Member # 20

- posted      Profile for Jeff Raven     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
According to the books(not canon, mind you) the storm troopers were all regular men. The clones were pretty much outlawed/destroyed.

--------------------
The Legend of Jeff Raven: As told by himself

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think it's been established that cloning was outlawed as a result of the Clone Wars, and that the Imperial military was made up of conscripted troops. (Remember Davin Felth???) Thus, the stormtroopers we know were not clones.

Jeff, there is no canon and non-canon in SW. [Roll Eyes]

-MMoM [Big Grin]

[ May 18, 2002, 22:32: Message edited by: The Mighty Monkey of Mim ]

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

What'd you do, cut & paste your post from TheTrekBBS?

Look, you canonize what you want. As far as Jeff and I are concered, we'll use what we see on the silver screen. Right?

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Didn't cut and paste, but it is the same thing, because that's the truth of the matter. I didn't "canonize" anything, Lucas did. He's the one who set it up so that the EU is considered a part of the canon.

Trying to discount what's not in the movies for SW is the same thing as trying to include novels and such for Trek. Both are acts of disregard for what is the established observance of "canon" in both franchises.

-MMoM [Big Grin]

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I asked since the armor is identical, and the only thing changed is the helmet. I thought that those of you with the type of Star Wars knowledge only sore wrists can give you might hold the answer to the thing that prevents me from being fulfilled. Well, that question and that my children will not be Simon's.

[ May 18, 2002, 23:10: Message edited by: UM. ]

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I didn't "canonize" anything, Lucas did. He's the one who set it up so that the EU is considered a part of the canon.

Except, of course, that AotC contradicts established "canon" on how Vader lost his arm...

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
Member # 646

Why is that? He could have lost the mechanical arm at other points in time. In fact, that even stands to reason, as he didn't appear to have that same clunky one from AOTC in ANH, etc. So it would have been a mechanical arm that Palpatine took, and another that Luke cut off in Splinter of the Mind's Eye. I see no true contradiction here...

-MMoM [Big Grin]

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
So it would have been a mechanical arm that Palpatine took, and another that Luke cut off in Splinter of the Mind's Eye. I see no true contradiction here...
Bzzzzt. Wrong again.

I really don't see how he can lose the same hand three different times. There's a difference between losing your real hand and just lopping off a prosthetic.

And besides, if Vader lost the same hand three times, that'd be even worse than all those Weyoun clones that kept popping up in the DS9 seventh season. [Roll Eyes]

[ May 20, 2002, 16:27: Message edited by: MinutiaeMan ]

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps