Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Star Wars » Geeky Jango bomb question *Spoilers* (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Geeky Jango bomb question *Spoilers*
Free ThoughtCrime America
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Free ThoughtCrime America     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So, in the midst of a vast asteroid field, Jango Fett is firing like a mad bastard at Obi-wan, and scores nothing but a few minor paint burns for his efforts. Pissed off that his high dollar blasters aren't working quite as well as advertised, he pulls out his big gun: a seismic charge. He fires it at Obi-wan, and soon after we hear one of the coolest sound effects in movie history: a electric guitar string popping at 120 decibels. Neat.

It thereafter looks like fucking mini-nuke went off, and chaos ensues.

My question is this: If the charge is working upon some kind of devestating sonic frequency undulation (hence the name of the thing being "seismic charge") how does it work in outer space? And why did it produce a brightly lit shock wave?

I can understand the asteroid blowing apart, and debris flying at Obi-wan, but still...

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It worked because whoever came up w/ the idea knows nothing about physics.
Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, I think you've got it reversed. Jango used the seismic charges when Obi-Wan was pursuing him. He then did a nice loop-de-loop after a tunnel chase through a large 'teroid, came about on Obi-Wan's six and opened fire with the lasers before "finishing him off" with a nice "sidewinder" missile.

It might be that Obi-Wan used the Force to "sense" the lasers and keep a step ahead of them, or to somehow fuck with Jango's targeting sensors (which very well could have had limitations in operating in such a target-rich enviornment).

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Free ThoughtCrime America
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Free ThoughtCrime America     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Shit. I'm going to have to watch it again sometime soon, to see if I got the sequence of events backwards.

That's the only reason. [Razz]

Anyway...aside from asserting that Obi-wan was using a Force field (yuk fucking yuk) I'm going to have to assume that Jango Fett is the worst shot in the universe. I mean, how in the hell could a Obi's ship--so small it didn't even have its own internal hyperdrive, which I thought was a nice touch, btw--have enough juice in the shield generator to deflect THAT many shots?

Jango Fett didn't strike me as the kind of guy that would crimp out on paying for the heavy artillery, so I'm assuming he wasn't shooting photonic blanks. And there is only so much manuevering you can do to dodge shit, even if you are a jedi.

As for the targeting computers...those are really crappy in the Star Wars universe. Christ, just watch ANH...none of the targeting systems in that movie are worth two shits in a bucket. It's pretty obvious that all the good shots are done pretty much manually through out all the movies.

bah. Jango should have iced him there, and that's all there is to that.

Tangent here: So...since Obi-wan used the same tactic to escape from Jango that Han would later use to escape from the Star Destroyers in ESB...I guess that's how Boba knew where to look for him, eh? That's decent. I liked it.

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^ As I mentioned above, it's possible his targeting systems for his laser weapons couldn't get a lock on Obi-Wan's craft specificly (especially with so many other small objects floating around). Also, its possible Jango was hoping to blow up some small asteroids and damage Obi-Wan's craft with rock projectile.

It's also possible those particular weapons didn't have the ability to target, and were just "melee" of some sort. In which case, he'd be firing so much as to hamper any "Jedi advantage" Obi-Wan might have ... perhaps hoping to keep Obi-Wan dodging the lasers so much he'd fly into a random asteroid ... which would work just as well!

One also wonders why Jango didn't fire that tracking missile earlier. Maybe Obi-Wan's craft needed to be damaged to give off some sort of signature for the missile to home in on?

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Obi-Wan is a Jedi with the Force on his side.

It's the same thing as with Luke in ANH: everybody else gets shot and crashes after one hit, but he takes multiple hits and still keeps going. It's just the fact that otherwise there'd be no movie...

-MMoM [Big Grin]

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's something I could never quite figure out... Alliance fighters are equipped with deflector shields, yet none of 'm seem able to take more than one hit before being atomized.
Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's the same reason why stormtroopers' blaster armour never works well...the Plah D'Viz!

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

quote:
it's the same thing as with Luke in ANH:
Don't you mean "with Luke in Star Wars - Episode IV: A New Hope: The Special Edition"?

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes Snay, you are most humorous... [Roll Eyes]
Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No he's not. So there.

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

Samuikaze
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Obi-Wan is a Jedi with the Force on his side.

It's the same thing as with Luke in ANH: everybody else gets shot and crashes after one hit, but he takes multiple hits and still keeps going. It's just the fact that otherwise there'd be no movie...

-MMoM

I've Got to agree with this point completely. You can get dazzled all you want by lasers streaming all around Obi-Wans ship. Point is, if his Jedi sence just kept him a nano sec a head movement wise all those flashing lights mean nothing!
Still, Jango "did" manage to score a hit. So good on him there.
Vader had a hard time locking Luke in the trench remember. He was also using the Force. So for me Jango was lucky to even score a hit in my eyes.

Only thing that griped me about that part of the film. I kept thinking, " Hell, where�s the consistency here? " The pulse laser Jango was using was trying to "track" Obi-Wans ship.They looked flashy and damned good action wise. But where was that type of Tech in the future in ANH etc? No where!
[Confused]

IP: Logged
Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

^ Might not have been military issue for a variety of reasons: inaccurate, draws too much power from a fighter's power supply, etc.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Samuikaze
Ex-Member

quote:
Originally posted by Malnurtured Snay:
^ Might not have been military issue for a variety of reasons: inaccurate, draws too much power from a fighter's power supply, etc.

Yes, true Malnurtured Snay. I see where you are coming from with those points. Still whatever the reason the scene looked damn cool. So I'll live with your ideas there. [Wink]
WERUreo
Ex-Member

quote:
Originally posted by The Mighty Monkey of Mim:
It's the same thing as with Luke in ANH: everybody else gets shot and crashes after one hit

EVERYONE.... except for Wedge... he took a hit and didn't crash, he just couldn't stay in the trench with Luke and Biggs...
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps