Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Star Wars » Geeky Jango bomb question *Spoilers* (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Geeky Jango bomb question *Spoilers*
Free ThoughtCrime America
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Free ThoughtCrime America     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But Wedge was from Dune, and Biggs wasn't. Feydakin warriors are harder to kill.

I forget. Was the "Stay On Target" guy killed at the Death Star? Because I believe he was from Dune too. One of the Atreides, possibly even a fatter Duncan Idaho.

WERUreo
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I believe that the "Stay on target" guy was killed... I don't remember if he was killed in the trench or if he made it out first... I think he might have bought it in the trench... He was a Y-Wing pilot, right?
IP: Logged
Matrix
AMEAN McAvoy
Member # 376

- posted      Profile for Matrix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, if you think about, the hero ship will always take a few dozen hits before damage occurs. While the non-hero ships will get detroyed by a fucking BB gun.

Well, Star Wars targeting computers are not worth "two shits in a bucket". My new phrase for the day.

--------------------
Matrix
If you say so
If you want so
Then do so

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
IIRC, he got out of the trench but Vader pursued and shot him down (even after another wing commander - Luke, maybe, but I don't think so - offered to give him cover).
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, Biggs was the one from Sietch Eisley. Wedge was from elsewhere.
Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sietch Eisley?
Free ThoughtCrime America
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Free ThoughtCrime America     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's a mixture of Dune and Star Wars names, padawan. You must be mindful of such if you are to enjoy the cleverness.
Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sietch Tabr, right?

"But where was that type of Tech in the future in ANH etc?"

The Millennium falcon has excellent tracking, as is shown by the TIE-fighter debris floating around where the first Death Star was, and the second one.

The thing is, Obi-Wan's craft was very small, and you did see its shields lighting up golden due to hits, but he was an excellent flyer, just look at them rock-avoiding maneuvers when the last seismic charge detonates.

I've always thought the ships in Star Wars fly and turn much faster than a human could pilot, like in ROTJ, when the Falcon is flying into the Death Star, we're talking 90� turns at supersonic speeds.
Ah well, it IS damn cool anyhow.

About the seismic charges; like a nuclear bomb is fueled by some matter that gets split (plutonium or something) maybe seismic charges have some stuff that emanates through shockwaves and such.

Many sci-fi stories have had seismic charges/missiles for space-bombing, asteroid-crushing and general mining work, I don't think it's far-fetched.

--------------------
"I'm nigh-invulnerable when I'm blasting!"
Mel Gibson, X-Men

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, if you put a seismic charge on an asteroid, that could work for destroying the rock. The problem is that sound waves can't propogate through a space. A sound wave is nothing but molecules (of air, water, rock, whatever) being pushed against each other and vibrating. In space, there are no molecules to push each other, and therefore no place for the wave to go.
David Templar
Saint of Rabid Pikachu
Member # 580

- posted      Profile for David Templar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's like WWII dogfights: you can take dozens of rounds, lose half a wing and most of the tail, but still make it back. But if you take two rounds in the wrong place, you go up like a Roman candle.

--------------------
"God's in his heaven. All's right with the world."

Da_bang80
A few sectors short of an Empire
Member # 528

- posted      Profile for Da_bang80     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by David Templar:
It's like WWII dogfights: you can take dozens of rounds, lose half a wing and most of the tail, but still make it back. But if you take two rounds in the wrong place, you go up like a Roman candle.

I have to agree with that very fitting comparison. One lucky shot to a power generator, or sublight engine and "poof". That Y-Wing pilot from ANH got smoked right on the starboard engine. blowing it right off. while he didn't go "poof" right at that instant, it didn't take long for him to blow.

--------------------
Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change.
The courage to change the things I cannot accept.
And the wisdom to hide the bodies of all the people I had to kill today because they pissed me off.

Remember when your parents told you it's dangerous to play in traffic?

Intruder1701
Member # 880

- posted      Profile for Intruder1701     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah but look at Vader he had his whole wing taken off by a collision and he just tumbled away while the rest of the pasteboard boxes exploded.

--------------------
"Who cares if we bomb a few hospitals, it just means we got them a second time" Warrant Officer Robert Clift, CVN-71 OEF

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

His wing was still intact. It may have taken damage, but it was clearly still on his fighter as he was spinning away.
Intruder1701
Member # 880

- posted      Profile for Intruder1701     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
True you are right about that

--------------------
"Who cares if we bomb a few hospitals, it just means we got them a second time" Warrant Officer Robert Clift, CVN-71 OEF

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps