Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Star Wars » Yoda's Fighting Style (Page 3)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Yoda's Fighting Style
Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
He choked one of the Gammorians at the beginning of the movie at the entrance to Jabba's palace.

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

Matrix
AMEAN McAvoy
Member # 376

- posted      Profile for Matrix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Aside from Vader, every Sith we have met (which is three) has some weird lightsaber. I wonder what Palpatine's is...
Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Aside from Vader, every Sith we have met (which is three) has some weird lightsaber
Okaaaaay.

Maul has that double-bladed saber, Dooku has the curved hilt saber, but I'm wondering who this 'third' Sith lord is you're speaking of. I'd guess you mean Sidious aka Palpatine, but since we've never seen his lightsaber how do you know it's 'weird'?

Free ThoughtCrime America
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Free ThoughtCrime America     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Vader. But his wasn't weird. It was pink.
Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Aside from Vader
Sorry, Thoughtychopps! [Big Grin]

[Eek!] I still want to know who the third Sith Lord (aside from Vader) is and why his/her lightsaber is so weird!

And Vader's saber was red, not pink.

Commander Dan
Member # 558

- posted      Profile for Commander Dan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Nim Pim:
He holds it like the indian special forces hold a Khukuri-knife too.

-

He is holding his red saber in what is essentially a German guard/block known as a “hengen.” Such a guard, however, would not be used when wielding a rapier, which is what Dooku’s red saber is based upon. (Rapiers with “bent hilts” showed up in the Renaissance.)

I do not recognize the position in which he is holding the blue saber. It is not based on any European guard or block that I am aware of. (It is my assertion that holding it with his arm so far extended is a really BAD idea.)

[ June 30, 2002, 23:52: Message edited by: Commander Dan ]

--------------------
“My experience with Rick Berman is, you know, he does not understand what he's doing, he does not understand science fiction.”
-- Andrew Probert

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wasn't talking about the stance, I meant how he held it in his hand, curve outwards.

And that's just a Dooku poster pic, from a scene that was never shown, because they changed their minds and decided that Anakin should get two sabers, something he obviously hadn't practiced on enough, since he only pulled the dual-wielding off for about four seconds before his "radical manicure operation".
But it sure looked good in the trailer.

Although, he covers a lot of attack angles with that guard.

[ July 01, 2002, 01:33: Message edited by: Nim Pim ]

--------------------
"I'm nigh-invulnerable when I'm blasting!"
Mel Gibson, X-Men

NeitherJediNorSith
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Nim: You do realize that those two duelants were the two most force/sabremighty we have ever seen fighting, in Star Wars?
Just to note: Darth Sidious is supposed to be the current #1 Sith in the Galaxy. His saber techniques are supposed to be the best, probably only matched by Yoda. Darth Maul attacked Sidious after he barely survived a training exervise on some god forsaken planet. With all of his skill and rage, Maul could not even come close to besting Sidious. He's old, he's twisted, but he's better than Dooku.

quote:
Nim: Dooku would defeat TESB-Vader as well, Vader didn't have anything close to the level of telekinesis and teleelectrocution of Dooku, not to mention limb function and spinal status.
This may not be true. Vader is hindered by the fact that he is mostly cybernetic in Episodes four through six. However, his force abilities in general only grew. At his prime he would have beaten Dooky easily. Afterall, he's the Chosen One. Anakin utilizes Force Lightening (not "teleelectrocution") in the EP3 game. Perhaps he will do so in the film as well.

quote:
Nim: Plus he is older and more experienced than Vader ever got to be, if we go with Chris Lee's real age, him celebrating his eightieth birthday exactly a month ago. So Dooku is at least the mightiest human Jedi so far.
I will grant this. But, maybe not.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
Episode III-related Spoilers Ahead

Anakin fights Dooku ala "Vader and Luke in ROTJ" in the EP3 game. Perhaps he will do this in the film. Dooku dies, and many speculate that it will be at the hands of Anakin. The beauty of being the Chosen One is that Anakins powers grow stronger and faster than anyone else's. The sudden amplification of his powers by turning to the dark side probably push him past Dooku's level. I believe that all Jedis have a static power level. It's just unrealized. It's like freeing your mind in the Matrix (sorry, had to for the sake of analogy). If this is true, Anakin was always more powerful than everyone else. He just hasn't tapped into all of it yet.

Also, do not neglect Mace. StarWars.com explicitly says that Dooku is a better swordsman than Mace, but Mace is one powerful son of a gun. Some argue that Dooku is stronger because he's older and can generate Force Lightening. A lot of people say that force lighting is a symbol of attaining a certain power level. I'll bet Mace can do it, he just doesn't because it's a cheap tactic. Same goes for most Jedi. It seems to be a move reserved for the cowardly fools that are the Sith. On a contrasting note, I wouldn't be surprised if Dooku turns out to be much more powerful than Mace. 1) Yoda trained him. 2) Joining the dark side gives you a quick power boost. 3) He's trained for much longer.

quote:
Obese Penguin: I have a feeling Yoda finishes the job in Ep 3. Anakin may kill Mace Windu though, Sam Jackson has said before he doesnt want to die like a chump and he usually gets what he wants.
The trailer and talk surrounding the EP3 game show and depict Anakin fighting Mace. Anakin fighting and killing Mace would be a true testament to his abilities. It would also solidify his siding with the dark side. Mace may very well be the first Jedi that Anakin kills in his famed extermination efforts.

If Yoda kills Dooku, wow, that would be fitting. However, my comment above about Dooku and Anakin obviously indicates that I feel otherwise. Remember, only two true Sith can exist at any given time. Asajj didn't last. Dooku cannot either. Sidious knows this. He wants Anakin to take Dooku's place. Dooku thinks Anakin is a pawn, more than likely. If he doesn't, does he seriously think Anakin is weak? He's a fool if he does. He's pompous anyway.

quote:
Free ThoughtCrime America: Vader. But his wasn't weird. It was pink.
Vader's was red while he was a Sith, blue while he was Jedi.

[ December 28, 2004, 04:55 PM: Message edited by: Nim' ]

IP: Logged
Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

Dude!

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
YODA'S NEW FIGHTING TECHNIQUE IS UNSTOPPABLE
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Sonic Hedgehog fighting style"

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
NeitherJediNorSith, you do realize this is a 2.5-year old thread?

Some of the things in your post could be considered spoiler-material, I added a spoiler-note which is custom in this forum.
Whether or not most of the events in Ep.III are easily predictable, there are many people who prefer not to know anything at all about what's to come, and revealing plot points in the Ep.III computer game (like the Ep.I and II games) constitutes as a spoiler.

You wrote:
quote:
This may not be true. Vader is hindered by the fact that he is mostly cybernetic in Episodes four through six. However, his force abilities in general only grew. At his prime he would have beaten Dooky easily. Afterall, he's the Chosen One. Anakin utilizes Force Lightening (not "teleelectrocution") in the EP3 game. Perhaps he will do so in the film as well.
If we look at the techniques and temperament of Vader in the duel at Bespin, we see that he is very prone to acts of rage and underestimation, swinging wildly and with excessive force. He of course eventually beat Luke when he had had enough, and Luke who was even more reckless couldn't hold the initiative.

Dooku never showed anything else than elegance, tempo and initiative, with very clean and strong moves. He beat both Knights by the numbers and wasted almost no energy other than what was needed, although he seemed fatigued after.

If he Dooku does face off against Anakin again and loses, I suspect some sort of Deus Ex Machina might be involved, or that he is caught offguard. But we'll see.

quote:
Also, do not neglect Mace.
I don't believe I ever have? [Confused]
One can debate the level of force mastery in different characters to death (it's mostly highly relative and subjective) but Mace Windu has been stated and shown as being the best with a lightsaber and overall strongest Jedi human.
I think he could take Maul, Vader or Dooku in a fair fight (without Deus Ex Machinas from the sithies). I don't suspect his fate in Episode III (whatever it may be) will be sealed through fair means, though.

quote:
Remember, only two true Sith can exist at any given time. Asajj didn't last. Dooku cannot either. Sidious knows this. He wants Anakin to take Dooku's place. Dooku thinks Anakin is a pawn, more than likely. If he doesn't, does he seriously think Anakin is weak? He's a fool if he does. He's pompous anyway.
Anakin was never anything but a pawn under Palpatine, especially not as Vader.

Dooku is probably not a fool, but his pomposity is something old men with much power often develop, and more often than not old cynics like him also have the experience and strength to put young whippersnappers in their place. Hence, they have earned the right to be pompous. [Smile]

quote:
Some argue that Dooku is stronger because he's older and can generate Force Lightening. A lot of people say that force lighting is a symbol of attaining a certain power level. I'll bet Mace can do it, he just doesn't because it's a cheap tactic. Same goes for most Jedi. It seems to be a move reserved for the cowardly fools that are the Sith.
Force Lightning is an offensive, draining and very malicious tool, so Jedi are by default ethically forbidden to use it.
Yoda, however, had no problem absorbing Dooku's surge and sending it back with more precision and power than Dooku, forcing him to deflect it at random and show his relative inexperience.

I don't think Jedi in general are good at using Force Lightning, they'd have to practice to be able to harness and control it, and if they deliberately don't practice it they can't utilize it.
They can, however, learn how to repel such an attack directed towards them, and I'm not just talking about Kenobi's brilliant absorption in early Dooku-brawl.

In the same sense that a saber duelist never has force-pulled an opponent's saber from his hands, I don't think a Sith could assail a prepared and alert Jedi with F**** Choke or F**** Lightning because the Jedi has his Force Guard up, so to speak.

Maul's Force Pushing of Kenobi into the pit, though, shows that a Jedi caught off-guard has little defense if he hasn't thought two steps ahead.

I heard a metaphor about this phenomenon in a martial arts movie once ("Perfect Weapon, The"), with a master pointing out why a human will beat a tiger always. It is because the tiger might be stronger, but he can never think ahead, only act on instinct and routine.
A human can figure out a tiger's patterns and put the next attack in the revealing chinks of its lowered guard, which he can predict by seeing the telltales in its movements.

It wasn't as longwinded as this in the movie, but you can't see my gesticulating, so...

In any cayce, the second season of "Clone Wars" will doubtless show new meat and potatoes in the characters involved, and I predict it will be fun.

--------------------
"I'm nigh-invulnerable when I'm blasting!"
Mel Gibson, X-Men

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

Seal off this thread, quickly! The Australian, he sees everything...

(Also, my favorite character can kick your favorite character's ass.)

MarianLH
Member # 1102

- posted      Profile for MarianLH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Nim':
Some of the things in your post could be considered spoiler-material, I added a spoiler-note which is custom in this forum.

For which I wholeheartedly thank you.

Marian

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cartman:

Seal off this thread, quickly! The Australian, he sees everything...

(Also, my favorite character can kick your favorite character's ass.)

Funny...I dont feel Australlian...

My favorite charcater is Duckman- and Yoda would stand no chance against his powers of depravity. [Big Grin]

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps