Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Star Wars » SW on DVD in SEPTEMBER (Page 3)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: SW on DVD in SEPTEMBER
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Shouldn't you do that hand-clap-with-vertical-motion thing now?

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Greedo scene bugs me because it looks so very botched.
It's like seeing editing on Benny Hill and accepting it as part of the story.

If they had re-shot someone in greedo's costume quickdrawing the gun it might have played fine, but to just add in the shot was....sad.

I'd prefer to lose the scene with "skinnny jaba" as well.
That did little for the overalll story and loses the pacing of the story quite a bit.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That, and it looks like crap.
Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
First off the "alert my star destroyer to prepare for my arrival" line was JEJ, but the line was cut from Star Wars. Lucas for some reason thought it fit better in that scene in Empire than Vader's terse originial "bring my shuttle" line.

As for cut scenes...
STAR WARS
�Stuff of Luke working on vaporator, witnessing battle in orbit, going to Anchorhead, meeting Biggs.
�Scenes showing more of "life in Mos Eisley", some of which made it into the Star Wars Holiday Special.
�Some stuff on Yavin IV, both at the briefing an in the hangar. Mostly alternate angles and padding dialogue.
EMPIRE
�The whole "wampas breaking into the Rebel base" sequence. Too difficult to pull off at the time, and in Lucas' retrospect, would have cluttered up the battle too much. Only elements that survived to the final cut were the ice chunks falling on Artoo's head, and the door with the yellow-and-red warning sign on it that Han, Leia, and Threepio run past on their way to the Falcon.
�One or two little scenes on Dagobah, meant to show Luke's progress with his lightsabre. First, Yoda tosses a silver bar in the air and Luke misses. Yoda says "were you a Jedi, in seven pieces the bar would be". Later, just before his vision, Luke manages to cut the bar into four pieces before it hits the ground. There was also to be at least one scene showing him fighting some remotes, but I don't know if they actually got filmed.
JEDI
�An opening scene on Tatooine showing Luke building his new lightsabre in Obi-Wan's hut may or may not have been filmed, but it's made it into just about every other medium, from the radio play to the comic books.
�A scene where Vader goes to see the Emperor, but is denied admittance by an officer. Vader force-chokes him, and the Royal Guards brandish their pikes to warn him to stop. The officer chokes out "it it the Emperor's command", and Vader stops and says something to the effect of "then I await his convenience".
�An additional bit on Dagobah -- don't know if it was filmed or not -- where Obi-Wan tells Luke his mother took Leia to be raised as part of the royal family of Alderaan while he took Luke to Tatooine to be raised by his brother Owen. Needless to say, AotC has effectively ditched that notion.

Did I forget anything?
--Jonah

--------------------
"That's what I like about these high school girls, I keep getting older, they stay the same age."

--David "Woody" Wooderson, Dazed and Confused

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"An additional bit on Dagobah -- don't know if it was filmed or not -- where Obi-Wan tells Luke his mother took Leia to be raised as part of the royal family of Alderaan while he took Luke to Tatooine to be raised by his brother Owen. Needless to say, AotC has effectively ditched that notion."

What, just because Owen is now Anakin's step-brother, rather than Obi-Wan's brother? That seems rather minor, since all the rest of it is still intact.

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Right. Just saying that the scene, as scripted, cannot now be included in RotJ. It would have to be modified, and therefore would no longer fit my criteria of a cut scene (part of the original version of the film that was excised).

--Jonah

--------------------
"That's what I like about these high school girls, I keep getting older, they stay the same age."

--David "Woody" Wooderson, Dazed and Confused

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Omega:
If Han didn't fire first, Han is a moron. If Lucas didn't intend for him to fire first, Lucas is a moron. And that's all I have to say about that.

Look - why else would there be a close-up of Han reaching for his weapon - if he wasn't going to do an under-the-table shot!?! Lucas is full of SHIT. And it's sloppy and running out of his ears and eyes a la black oil from The X-Files. There I've Said it! [Smile]

Han is a BAD guy - we have to believe (if you are watching Star Wars for the first time) that Han might not be someone for precious farm-boy Luke and kind old man Ben Kenobi could actually trust.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would indeed like to see Luke witness the battle in space above him.

--------------------

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Han was'nt bad.
He was just "Greedo challenged". [Wink]

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And kid-unfriendly.

--------------------
".mirrorS arE morE fuN thaN televisioN" - TEH PNIK FLAMIGNO

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

quote:
Originally posted by Jason Abbadon:
Han was'nt bad.
He was just "Greedo challenged". [Wink]

OK - he was... not the best of sorts for a young boy and an old man to hang around. (well that's what you want to be led to believe at first as his intentions - aren't all clear - until he joins the fight at the end of the film.

--------------------

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Found the text of that interview online:
http://industrycentral.net/director_interviews/GL01.HTM

In particular:
quote:
On altering the cantina confrontation between Han Solo and Greedo

It was always meant that Greedo fired first. In the original film you don't get that too well. But in terms of Han's character, I didn't like the fact that when he was introduced the first thing he did is just gun somebody down in cold blood. That wasn't what was meant to be there. The other issue is a perception issue. We had three different versions of that shot: one he fires very close to when Han fires, one was three frames later, one was three frames later. And we sort of looked at it and tried to figure out which one would be perceivable, but wouldn't look corny. It's very hard to do that, because, I mean, obviously if you know the film real well and you're looking for that you see it. If you don't know the film very well and you're just watching the movie, it almost goes right by you. People don't perceive what's happened there, even now. So, it's trying to find that medium ground, and it's always this way in film, of what can the majority of the audience perceive and what can't they perceive. I like fast-paced movies--accusations have been made about this--and I like things to go by in an almost surreal way. So I'm caught between doing things that work for me--really understanding the scenes and understanding what's going on--and the audience, which I know is looking at something for the first time, and things go by in a very different way. So, there's always the conflict about where you draw the line. Perhaps I should have done it two frames sooner.

There you have it. Again, for what it's worth...

-MMoM [Big Grin]

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by AndrewR:
I would indeed like to see Luke witness the battle in space above him.

I'd like to see it as an extra, but there's no way it should be put back into the film. It would completely destroy the pacing.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Do you really think so? I'm not sure on that. Could work.

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree with Psy, it would destroy the pace of the battle.
Besides, it's not as if Luke actually does anything significant to the story until the Sandcrawler pulls up next to the farm.
Also, all that stuff at Anchorhead is just padding with little significance, save for an introduction to Biggs.
Which might have made his death have a little more impact than it did since we never got a good sense of the connection between those two.
Still, you never see any of those other characters again and their impact on the story is nil, so those scenes are better left on the cutting room floor.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps