Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Star Wars » Obi-Wan (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Obi-Wan
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I always assumed Ben was his real name, and that "Obi-Wan" was some kind of... I dunno... Jedi appellation, or something. I mean, the Sith don't keep their names (who would be scared of Darth Palpatine or Darth Anakin?), so who says the Jedi do?

------------------
Harold: "You're missing the point!"
Red: "Well, I don't like points."
-The Red Green Show

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I still think there is a reason why Qui-Gon wasn't mentioned to Luke and why he didn't show up with the other 3 spirits at the end of "Jedi" (and the reason "the character didn't exist yet" doesn't count). I believe it has something to do with why Qui-Gon's body didn't disappear when he died. Supposedly, Qui-Gin will be back (as a spirit) in the next film and Lucas has said that the 'non-disappearance' will be explained.

As for Yoda being the one who trained Obi-Wan: Yoda will likely continue giving Obi-Wan instruction even thought he is now a night, and the theory of going through some sort of general training as a very young boy has merit. He was probably trained by Yoda and other Jedi in a 'intorduction course' before being apprenticed as a Padawan to Qui-Gon.

------------------
"A gathering of Angels appeared above my head. They sang to me this song of hope, and this is what they said..." -Styx

Aban's Illustration www.thespeakeasy.com/alanfore

The Talented Mr. Gurgeh
Member # 318

- posted      Profile for The Talented Mr. Gurgeh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
About the disappearing thing, Obe wan disappeared in ANH, I can't remember(hangs head in shame) but I think Yoda disappeared, but apart from that we don't see any other Jedi disappear. Even if we discount the Dark Jedi, who don't seem to disappear, I don't think it should be regarded as anomalous that Qui-Gonn doesn't disappear when he dies.

I think it has something to do with being ready to rejoin the force. When Obe Wan died he turned off his sabre and closed his eyes, ready to die. Yoda died naturally so one would expect him to disappear, but Qui-Gonn was clearly caught by surprise when he died.

------------------
"Try not.
Do.
Or Do not.
There is no try."
-Yoda, Jedi Master.

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, Yoda disappeared. Of course, since he and Obi-Wan are really the only Jedi we've seen die (until Qui-Gon), it doesn't mean much to say they're the only ones who disappeared. Perhaps it has something to do w/ being a Jedi Master, and Qui-Gon didn't go since he was just a knight. He was just a knight, wasn't he? It's hard to tell, since Obi-Wan told him he could be on the council if he didn't keep opposing them (which would suggest he's at the same level as them).

Also, we don't know if Palpatine or Vader disappeared. We didn't see Vader disappear, but he may not have completely died 'til he was off screen. And Luke may just have been burning his suit/robot parts. After all, he did show up as a "Force ghost" w/ Yoda and Obi-Wan at the end.

------------------
Harold: "You're missing the point!"
Red: "Well, I don't like points."
-The Red Green Show

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Qui-Gon was a master, I think...either way, Darth Vader seemed surprised when Obi-Wan disappeared in ANH.

------------------
Frank's Home Page
John Flansburgh: "This song is so old that it's actually featured on our brand new record."
John Linnell: "It's one of those year 2000 problems."

Teelie
Member # 280

- posted      Profile for Teelie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think Qui Gon was just high in preservatives.

------------------
Admin at the trekbbs.com

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The fact that Vader didn't seem to know about the Jedi "becoming one with the Force" makes me think that something deeper is going on here. I think Qui-Gon did something on purpose regarding his death...

------------------
"A gathering of Angels appeared above my head. They sang to me this song of hope, and this is what they said..." -Styx

The Talented Mr. Gurgeh
Member # 318

- posted      Profile for The Talented Mr. Gurgeh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Like what?

------------------
"Try not.
Do.
Or Do not.
There is no try."
-Yoda, Jedi Master.

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a better question than all of this: why the heck did Qui-Gon die!? He had a hole in his abdomen the width of a lightsabre (however large that may be), plus a little more to account for the fact that Maul couldn't have pulled it straight out. The hole didn't pass through any vital organs, nor would he have bled to death, as the wound would have been cauterized, like Luke's arm was. So what killed him? I think maybe he went into a Jedi healing trance or something, and wasn't really dead when we thought he was. Then, when his body determined that he couldn't be healed, he passed on voluntarily without regaining consiousness.

------------------
You are wise, witty, and wonderful, but you spend far too much time reading this sort of trash.

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How do you know that no vital organs were hit, though?

------------------
Frank's Home Page
John Flansburgh: "This song is so old that it's actually featured on our brand new record."
John Linnell: "It's one of those year 2000 problems."

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, the only immediately vital organs in your body are really the heart, lungs, and brain. Without any of them, you're dead inside of two minutes. If it'd pierced his heart, he probably would have died a lot sooner than he apparently did, baring some Jedi trick. I don't see why a small cauterized hole in your lung would cause that much interference, really. Besides, he seemed to be hit in the abdomen, where there ARE no immediately vital organs.

On second thought, I suppose the sabre could have pierced a major artery. He wouldn't bleed to death, but the cauterization would stop blood to a large portion of his body, and possibly cause some serious pressure to build up on his heart.

So ignore everything I just said.

------------------
You are wise, witty, and wonderful, but you spend far too much time reading this sort of trash.

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

Gurgeh: If I new that, Lucas would have had me wacked by now

------------------

Teelie
Member # 280

- posted      Profile for Teelie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I still like my theory.

Actually, a hole the size of a lightsaber blade in your chest/abdomen, cauterized or not would probably kill you. If it didn't hit a lung or the heart, it could've hit the liver, spleen, intestines, any number of things in that area which aren't immeadiately fatal, and it defintely went through his spinal column (as I recall it pierced all the way) which is paralyzed for sure unless bacta can fix it (though it didn't do much for Luke's hand ).

------------------
Admin at the trekbbs.com

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The sabre-blade looks to be about three inches thick from a distance, but actually the real blade of the sabre isn't thicker than a few millimetres.
You can see that by observing the cuts in objects in TESB for instance.

The non-transparent hue surrounding the blade is probably just rotating light/plasma/em-field that, although it probably is very hot, just serves some function in the intricate mechanics of the sabre, like stabalizing the blade itself.

If, however, one would move it around in the wound you'd work up a bigger hole!

------------------
I'm not an atheist, I'm a maybeist�

[This message has been edited by Nimrod (edited May 11, 2000).]

The Talented Mr. Gurgeh
Member # 318

Omega's theory sounds a bit iffy to me. I agree that the light sabre wound Qui-Gonn received wouldn't kill him for quite a while but I think it's more a matter of lack of realism on Lucas' part. Maybe he didn't want to have jets of blood spurting out of Qui-Gonn's heart, for the sake of the kiddies.

------------------
"Try not.
Do.
Or Do not.
There is no try."
-Yoda, Jedi Master.

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps