Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » Todays's news goodies (Page 25)

This topic comprises 61 pages: 1  2  3  ...  22  23  24  25  26  27  28  ...  59  60  61   
Author Topic: Todays's news goodies
Zefram
Member # 1568

- posted      Profile for Zefram     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Microsoft will remain strong in the average office, where employers would rather avoid any special employee training for "nonstandard" products such as Linux (and where they get a good sized discount for buying Microsoft products in bulk). Microsoft also has contracts with various government agencies. My coworkers and I would rather use anything but Microsoft Word (that thrice-cursed, bug-ridden pile of...), but we are not allowed to use any other word processing program on our government-owned computers.

As for Apple posing a greater threat than ever: first, my college roommate kept telling me that same thing almost ten years ago and it just didn't materialize, and second, I just can't see the average company paying for both Microsoft and Apple operating systems as well as training their employees to use both. As long as most companies rely on simple databases and word processing, Microsoft will continue to dominate the market.

Vista may be garbage, but XP is actually pretty good. I think it's more likely that Microsoft will simply dump Vista (like they did ME) and push a new XP-like OS before Apple's seven year old OS X is widely adopted, no matter how good OS X is.

--------------------
"Having is not so pleasing a thing, after all, as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true."

Daniel Butler
I'm a Singapore where is my boat
Member # 1689

- posted      Profile for Daniel Butler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, but with the current generation of kids growing up with computers, training will be unnecessary. Kids are growing up learning both Mac and Windows (Windows at home, Mac at school - since they have a lot of contracts with educational institutions and offer discounts to schools). Again, certainly not by tomorrow. But soon enough. And just using Linux for common office tasks shouldn't require any training if you're familiar with either Winshit or MacOSX (or even previous MacOSs). The GUI may not be *exactly* the same, but it's based on the same principles. And if you're familiar with *both,* as the office workers of 2018 will be, it should hardly require thought. Especially once the application is open - File, Edit, View...it's the same across all three OSs.
Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Sorry, dudes. Internet's full. Come back later."

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well here's an idea, don't allow HD YouTube videos. If people want to see Chocolate Rain in HD, than they're a mixture of stupid and pathetic.
Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
20 households = one 2008 total internet value?

--------------------
"You are a terrible human, Ritten." Magnus
"Urgh, you are a sick sick person..." Austin Powers
A leek too, pretty much a negi.....

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
YouTube in high definition doesn't seem very likely, anyway. YouTube barely qualifies as low definition.
Daniel Butler
Member # 1689

- posted      Profile for Daniel Butler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I want what AT&T is smoking!
HopefulNebula
Member # 1933

- posted      Profile for HopefulNebula     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not strictly "news," but mockworthy nonetheless.

Would we have allowed Nazi Germany to host the Olympics?

--------------------
"Don't fight forces; use them."
--R. Buckminster Fuller

http://hopefulnebula.dreamwidth.org/

Daniel Butler
Member # 1689

Heh. God. That goes up now on my list right next to Bush saying the problem with the French was they had no word for "entrepreneur."
Sean
First Tenor
Member # 2010

- posted      Profile for Sean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not to mention that he disliked their non-participation in the war... I mean, police action.

--------------------
"Kosh, I'd like to introduce you to our Resident schmuck and his side kick Kick Me."-Ritten

"Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity".
-George Carlin

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Um. You're not quite following, are you?
HopefulNebula
Member # 1933

- posted      Profile for HopefulNebula     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Godwin's in action.

Does this mean all political discussion can be declared dead now?

Sean
First Tenor
Member # 2010

- posted      Profile for Sean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I understand fine. Entrepeneur is a french word.

--------------------
"Kosh, I'd like to introduce you to our Resident schmuck and his side kick Kick Me."-Ritten

"Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity".
-George Carlin

Da_bang80
A few sectors short of an Empire
Member # 528

- posted      Profile for Da_bang80     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I smell a coup detat.

[/sarcasm]

Still I have to ask, who the hell is letting these dim-bulbs into the government?

Oh, and if anyone has read about this in their newspaper:

Death to old people.

--------------------
Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change.
The courage to change the things I cannot accept.
And the wisdom to hide the bodies of all the people I had to kill today because they pissed me off.

Remember when your parents told you it's dangerous to play in traffic?

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, that Mosquito thing is becoming a bother. I haven't heard it myself yet, though.

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

This topic comprises 61 pages: 1  2  3  ...  22  23  24  25  26  27  28  ...  59  60  61   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Unfeature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps