Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » Todays's news goodies (Page 30)

This topic comprises 61 pages: 1  2  3  ...  27  28  29  30  31  32  33  ...  59  60  61   
Author Topic: Todays's news goodies
Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Outlaw outlawry.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TSN:
"If you outlaw firearms, the only people that have them will be the outlaws."

A tautology like that isn't much of an argument. Replace "firearms" with anything, and it's still true. So, you are supporting the idea of never outlawing anything?

So, if you outlaw Star Trek we'll all be outlaws.
possibly with replica phasers

Maybe we should outlaw catch phrases.

Da_bang80
A few sectors short of an Empire
Member # 528

- posted      Profile for Da_bang80     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TSN:
"If you outlaw firearms, the only people that have them will be the outlaws."

A tautology like that isn't much of an argument. Replace "firearms" with anything, and it's still true. So, you are supporting the idea of never outlawing anything?

What I'm saying is that if you ban guns, you ban them from people who have a legitimate reason for carrying. Criminals will still find a way to get hold of a gun, ban or not. Banning handguns only hurts the people who use them for defense purposes. Look at Australia, when they banned handguns there was a spike in armed home invasions. I'm sorry, but banning them doesn't solve the problem. It only makes it easier for the criminals to commit their crimes. I don't know what the solution is to the gun debate, but this isn't it.

--------------------
Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change.
The courage to change the things I cannot accept.
And the wisdom to hide the bodies of all the people I had to kill today because they pissed me off.

Remember when your parents told you it's dangerous to play in traffic?

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jason Abbadon:

Maybe we should outlaw catch phrases.

If only I had a magic wand.
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How 'bout a nice simple restriction of handguns to the house or gun range?
Make it a felony to be caught packing heat on the street.

Ban assualt weapons (for real this time)- Yes, there's thousands of them floating around allready so stem the tide of more coming into the gun market- no one needs a Kalishnakov to defend his home: ninjas are not comeing after you and you have zero chance if the government goes all dictatorship: red dawn was a movie. The gun makers can sell to the government to stay afloat...and it's a wildly profitable industry.

Restrict handgun purchases to one handgun per person or at least prohibit the back-door selling that's legal at gun shows between private sellers.

Scruinize gun permit applicants for mental health history: if they dont want to share, they dont get to shoot.

These just seen like reasonable changes to me- people can still hunt (just not with military weapons designed to shred through armor), still defend their castle from intruders and mentally unbalanced bozos would not be able to buy guns.

Daniel Butler
I'm a Singapore where is my boat
Member # 1689

- posted      Profile for Daniel Butler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree with Jason. Although I think you should be allowed to buy two handguns. One to keep at home somewhere safe, another to carry on your person. And I do support concealed weapon permits unless we're going to just say it's OK to carry guns in plain sight, which would also be fine with me.
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

quote:
Originally posted by Daniel Butler:
I agree with Jason. Although I think you should be allowed to buy two handguns.

Hell yeah- sometimes you need that John Woo moment, am I right?
Free trenchcoat with purchase of matching handguns. [Big Grin]

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The only "news" that exists from this past week or any other is Diablo III.
Sean
First Tenor
Member # 2010

- posted      Profile for Sean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When I become of age to get a concealed carry permit, I probably will. I might follow in my uncle's footsteps, and be a gun collector. He has about 20 rifles, pistols, and shotguns, most used for hunting, and all locked in the multiple gun safes he has in his basement. He only has a permit to carry two of them though, a .22 derringer to carry on him during the summer, and a colt .45 for winter use. Although, if I do follow through with my plans to become a cop in the city of buffalo, I'll have no choice but to carry a weapon at all times. I hope officers have the option to choose their service pistols, as I am not a big fan of the Glock 17...

--------------------
"Kosh, I'd like to introduce you to our Resident schmuck and his side kick Kick Me."-Ritten

"Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity".
-George Carlin

Daniel Butler
Member # 1689

- posted      Profile for Daniel Butler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oooooooooooh.......DIABLO 3......

AAAAAGHHHH RAY GUN

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mercedes to Cut Petroleum Out of Lineup by 2015

In less than 7 years, Mercedes-Benz plans to ditch petroleum-powered vehicles from its lineup. Focusing on electric, fuel cell, and biofuels, the company is revving up research in alternative fuel sources and efficiency.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Daniel Butler
Member # 1689

Bit of a marketing ploy - biofuels? As in ethanol? As in "the fuel that can power any standard gasoline engine"?
Sean
First Tenor
Member # 2010

- posted      Profile for Sean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
These include not only microwave ray-guns, but the terrifying Pulsed Energy Projectile weapon. This uses a powerful laser which, when it hits someone up to 11/2 miles away, produces a "plasma" - a bubble of superhot gas - on the skin.

Am I seeing the birth of the EM-33? [Wink]

--------------------
"Kosh, I'd like to introduce you to our Resident schmuck and his side kick Kick Me."-Ritten

-George Carlin

shikaru808
T-t-t-t-today, JUNIOR!
Member # 2080

- posted      Profile for shikaru808     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The whole assault rifle thing is a tad stupid. Even more stupid is those nuts who want the heavy weapons/machine gun ban lifted.

Seriously, who the fuck needs a 50. machine gun for hunting or defense purposes?

--------------------
"Its coming on. I just saw the wall move..."

Sean
First Tenor
Member # 2010

Well, downing a 12 point buck with a 7.62mm bullet from 450 meters is a unique feeling. [Wink]

Although, I too think there is no need to hunt game with an AK-47. Appearantly, Izhmash thought that too, because they produce a semi-auto version of the AK with a 5 shot magazine for hunting, which is perfectly legal to own in most places in the US.

It is senseless to limit the calibre of hunting rifles though, but deffinately a good idea to limit the magazine capacity and fire rate. Private liscensed collectors should be allowed to own automatics though. Most just put their's on display, or use them on private ranges. Not to mention that they can be outrageously expensive, with the cost of ammo and taxes and liscenses and such.

Now, this is a constructive use of automatic weapons.

--------------------

-George Carlin

This topic comprises 61 pages: 1  2  3  ...  27  28  29  30  31  32  33  ...  59  60  61   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Unfeature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps