Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » Vatican vs. Homosexuality (Page 5)

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   
Author Topic: Vatican vs. Homosexuality
Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But that's the thing. I haven't sinned. To think so implies that I & the rest of humanity along with me are inherently "bad." This is not so, & the only people who believe in salvation are the totalitarian agriculturists.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Mucus
Member # 24

- posted      Profile for Mucus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Omega:

And evolution has been observed.

You MIGHT make an argument that speciation has been observed, for very loose definitions of "species", but that's hardly the same as observing that humanity itself evolved all the way from bacteria.

no Gods have ever been observed. Neither have the effects of any Gods.

Nor did I claim they had. However, I can create a fine logical framework indicating that they must exist given certain basic assumptions. Which was the point of what I said.

Well, all of this is rather besides the point. Science is a gradual process. Thats why they still call evolution a "theory." If someone came along with substantial independently verifiable proof that it was wrong, scientists would switch. No burnings at the stake needed, no crucifications, no excommunications. Galileo did not have the same luxury.

That leads us to the second problem, at least for the three major religions of the "Book." No matter how archaic, how out of date, how plain wrong the Bible is, it cannot be changed. That conviction of belief is what leads people to start wars, strip people of their rights, or blow themselves up in the Gaza strip.

People never flew planes into buildings because of evolution. People fly planes into buildings because of organised religion and "the good book."

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No matter how archaic, how out of date, how plain wrong the Bible is, it cannot be changed.

Then it's good that no part of it has been conclusively shown to be incorrect or inapplicable due to age. Unless I missed something somewhere.

People fly planes into buildings because of organised religion and "the good book."

No, people fly planes into buildings because of their own stupidity. They dont' bother to READ the good book. At least not mine. Still can't quite figure out what Islam actually supports.

I haven't sinned. To think so implies that I & the rest of humanity along with me are inherently "bad." This is not so

Says you. I say you're wrong. So there. [Wink]

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, but who are YOU to tell ME that I'm a "sinner?"

That "we know best for all" attitude is what's destroying the world as we know it. And no, I'm not just talking about religion.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Omega
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I simply tell you what the Bible says. Believe it or not, take offense or not, as you please.

--------------------

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Correction: what YOU believe the Bible says.

"Still can't quite figure out what Islam actually supports."

Maybe you should bother to READ the good book.

ubermetroid
Member # 729

- posted      Profile for ubermetroid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jason Abbadon:
Organized religon boils down to two principals:

Their viewpoint is right and all others are wrong.

Anyone not of their viewpoint is damned and should be converted.

Sounds kinda like the Borg does'nt it?

lol! [Eek!]

--------------------
"That's the problem with nature. Something is always stinging you or oozing mucous on you. lets go watch tv." - Calvin & Hobbes

Omega
Member # 91

Correction: what YOU believe the Bible says.

Yes, and I believe it because I speak English. Read Romans 3:23, please.

--------------------

Veers
You first
Member # 661

- posted      Profile for Veers         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So, basically what I'm hearing is religion is bad. It would be better if it never existed.
Uh-huh. Some people have tried to do away with it. Josef Stalin and Mao--just two people who had no religion. But I guess it still better if there was no religion.

Oh, wait! I forgot! The Ten Commandments! The laws of on which our country was founded. But, I forgot, it would be a better without religion--so, everybody, go ahead and kill! Go commit adultery! Go lie, steal, and dishonor your father and mother! God and the Bible are wrong, so you don't have to listen to those rules!
Oh, I forgot! Don't say "Oh My God!"
Don't celebrate Christmas, or Easter!
Don't watch "It's a Wonderful Life!"

--------------------
Meh

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Yes, and I believe it because I speak English."

Which doesn't mean much, since the text in question was written in ancient Hebrew, Aramaic, and Greek (among others?), and the original, untranslated versions probably don't even exist anymore.

Omega
Member # 91

Touche. Okay, so I believe it because I trust several indepentent groups of translators who can read Greek. And because I speak English.

--------------------

Mucus
Member # 24

- posted      Profile for Mucus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Veers: Oh puh-lease. Guilt by association? I could do the same thing with theists if you want.

"So, what you're saying is that you're in favour of religion. Oh wait, I know a few people that also are....Osama Bin Laden, Torquemanda, Hitler

Oh, wait! I forgot! The world is flat! The actual land on which our country was founded doesn't exist! But, I forgot, it would be a better if we all followed religion--so, everybody, go ahead and leave America! Go leave your homes! Abandon your jobs and your loved ones.
Don't celebrate Christmas, or Easter because they're based on pagan holidays!"

Seriously

Omega
Member # 91

The world is flat! The actual land on which our country was founded doesn't exist!

Why are we talking about the world being flat, now? And I would point out that under Hitler's reign Naziism was declared the official state religion of Germany.

--------------------

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would like to live in your parallel universe where that was true.
Omega
Member # 91

Welcome

--------------------

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps