Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » Vatican vs. Homosexuality (Page 2)

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   
Author Topic: Vatican vs. Homosexuality
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So it's really Paul's problem with gays?
Sounds like some apostle has repressed desires....

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I guess the Pope just wants his priests and cardinals to date...

--------------------
"It speaks to some basic human needs: that there is a tomorrow, it's not all going to be over with a big splash and a bomb, that the human race is improving, that we have things to be proud of as humans."
-Gene Roddenberry about Star Trek

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"And likewise also the men, leaving the natural use of the woman, burned in their lust one toward another; men with men working that which is unseemly, and receiving in themselves that recompence of their error which was meet."

Romans 1:27, is what I believe Tim was refering to.

In less lofty language:

"In the same way the men also abandoned natural relations with women and were inflamed with lust for one another. Men committed indecent acts with other men, and received in themselves the due penalty for their perversion."

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Heck, while I'm at it. (All taken from the King James, because it sounds the neatest.)

Leviticus 18:22

"Thou shalt not lie with mankind, as with womankind: it is abomination."

And 20:13

"If a man also lie with mankind, as he lieth with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination: they shall surely be put to death; their blood shall be upon them."

Deuteronomy 23:18

"Thou shalt not bring the hire of a whore, or the price of a dog, into the house of the LORD thy God for any vow: for even both these are abomination unto the LORD thy God."

Which is rendered, in a more modern translation, thusly: "You must not bring the earnings of a female prostitute or of a male prostitute into the house of the LORD your God to pay any vow, because the LORD your God detests them both."

1 Corinthians 6:9-10

"Know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Be not deceived: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor abusers of themselves with mankind, nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners, shall inherit the kingdom of God."

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The "natural use of women" is certainly not what it was back then though either....
The "natural use of women" was as property, baby making animals and chore-slave.
If one's not valid, how can the other be?

How can it be "God's Law" when God never mentioned it?
How can it be against God if He made them that way?
More to the point, why is line between church and state quickly fading away?

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

Um, it's pretty clear what that phrase is supposed to mean in context here.
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

But the bible is so contradictory from book to book, if we're willing to let someone's interpertation of a verse be the basis for binding legislation then we're on the slippery moral slope indeed.

What about Crab? Pork? will those foods become illeagal because of Old Testament bible verses stating they should not be eaten?
Of course not: the majority's religous beliefs must not determine the course of law in our country if we're to remain true to the american dream of "Life, Liberty and the prusuit of happiness".

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
men with men working that which is unseemly, and receiving in themselves that recompence of their error which was meet
Best euphemism for "UP TEH BUTT!11!" ever.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If the church really puts those old words into practical use, they are violating the real laws and should be prosecuted. There is no such thing as "God's law" for people that have different (or no) religions.

And that get's me to my biggest problem. I have no problems with people believing in all sorts of gods and supernatural stuff. If it makes you feel better, if it gives more depth and meaning to your lives, that's a good thing. And I can see that sharing deep religious beliefs with others is a very strong emotion. But WHY do you always want to impose your ideas upon others? If I don't want to believe in your God, your Bible, your Messiah, your Allah, your Satan, than let me be! And this is exactly why state and church should be completely separate. Let people make their own decisions. If you want to be a devout Catholic, go right ahead. If a gay couple wants to marry, let them.

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But Harry, they really care about you! They want to save you, even if they have to kill you to do so! So, try to make allowances. 8)

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am Satan incarnate. Because the Church says I am.

--------------------
"And slowly, you come to realize, it's all as it should be, you can only do so much. If you're game enough, you could place your trust in me. For the love of life, there's a tradeoff, we could lose it all but we'll go down fighting...." - David Sylvian
FreeSpace 2, the greatest space sim of all time, now remastered!

David Templar
Saint of Rabid Pikachu
Member # 580

- posted      Profile for David Templar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So am I, because I love crab and pork and men... Ok, not men. But two out of three ain't bad.

I know my *real* god appreciate me...

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn. Iia! Iia! Cthulhu!

--------------------
"God's in his heaven. All's right with the world."

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My God is a shallow little bitch trying to make the scene.
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"men with men working that which is unseemly, and receiving in themselves that recompence of their error which was meet"

"Best euphemism for "UP TEH BUTT!11!" ever."

Certainly gives new meaning to the title "Land Down Under" by Men at Work...

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ultra Magnus:
My God is a shallow little bitch trying to make the scene.

So it's true that we all create God in our own image?

--------------------
"The best defense is not a good offense. The best defense is a terrifyingly accurate and devastatingly powerful offense, with multiply-overlapping kill zones and time-on-target artillery strikes." -- Laurence, Archangel of the Sword

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps