Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » Separation of Church and State, part whatever (Page 10)

This topic comprises 14 pages: 1  2  3  ...  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14   
Author Topic: Separation of Church and State, part whatever
Obi Juan
Who's your master?
Member # 90

- posted      Profile for Obi Juan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lee:
So, sit back, deep breaths, lighten up. You don't turn up at a bulletin board that's been around in one form or another for seven years, dive right in to the section devoted to controversial debates, and expect to get away unscathed.

Unless he's been at this board for years, had a falling out with a few of the peoole here, and just recently came back cleverly diguised as a newbie.
Mountain Man
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No hard feelings on my part. And I for one feel unscathed. Never been on this board before. Very new to the whole idea of forums. The other forums I belong to are abit different than the Sci fi forums. Religion is seldom mentioned and so far there have been no sniping at anyones religious beliefs. Not strong on religion myself just hate to see profanity and silly little jokes used in this manner. If thats the norm here I'll simply ignore it from now on.BTW when I made the"show a little respect for the man if not the uniform" crack that was an attempt to inject a little humour into the mix. I'm Very surpized that no one seemed to catch that. Perhaps the saying is not one you are familiar with.
IP: Logged
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
More that I don't think anyone gets how it was a joke.

And I've been to other (American) forums. A scarily large number of them seem to consist of 60% Omega, 40% Rob, and 20% Tim/Tom/Simon hybrid, who desperatly tries to inject some level of sanity to things. Scary places.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Mountain Man
Ex-Member

Yep sanity can be a scary thing sometimes. Liam you seem to have a good head on your shoulders. People don't have to agree on things, if every body did the world would be a boring place. As long as a persons arguments hold water, they are worth listening to. Even if they are wrong it gives a good Idea of why they think the way they do. Stuff that has no logic behind it doesn't even make good fiction. My own long winded entries are an attempt to give information as a background. Short answers and quips only waste time. As my skills return it will be easier to understand what I say.P.S. have you never heard the Man-uniform quote? just a culture gap thing I suppose.
Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by PsyLiam:
... 20% Tim/Tom/Simon hybrid...

Now that is scary there.....

--------------------
"You are a terrible human, Ritten." Magnus
"Urgh, you are a sick sick person..." Austin Powers
A leek too, pretty much a negi.....

Mountain Man
Ex-Member

The 120% part is kind of disturbing. Well no ones perfect. At least I've noticed that I'm not the only one that miss spells a word now and then. Seems like some of those with fairly good typing skill have very little knowledge of the subjects at hand. Well at least My mind still works even if the rest is ready for the boneyard. [Cool]
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This composite person would have really weird tastes and probably be full of self-loathing. I mean, what do you do with an indie rock fan who secretly loves prog and musical theater? Lock them away, if you have any sense.

quote:
Did I say I've never heard of a Roman bath? I've been to Roman baths - their ruins, that is. Have you?
If only you lived in Bath. Then it would be perfect.
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by PsyLiam:
More that I don't think anyone gets how it was a joke.

And I've been to other (American) forums. A scarily large number of them seem to consist of 60% Omega, 40% Rob, and 20% Tim/Tom/Simon hybrid, who desperatly tries to inject some level of sanity to things. Scary places.

I don't get even ONE percent!?!
Why hast thou forsaken me, Jebus?

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Mountain Man
Ex-Member

Still no one recognizes the "Man if not the uniform" joke. Guess there are no Americans here. Unless, na that would be impossible. Well maybe if everyone here is a kid except me. That might explain a lot. Too bad really. Not much to be done about that. Still, some show promise.
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Or it was a "Piscapo" level joke and not worth commenting on. [Wink]
Besides, you were busy getting your newbie hazing from Lee. [Big Grin]

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been to the Roman baths in Bath. . .

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Mountain Man
Ex-Member

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows/religion/jesus/sepphoris.html Heres a bit of new information for you. Read it or not. since it shoots down the stereotype of unwashed hick I'm betting not.
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

quote:
We have houses, each with its own private ritual bath. That's an extravagance, considering where the water had to be brought from and the kind of technical [manueverings] it took to get pure water mixed with standing water. But it was very much in the mainstream.
As pointed out, it's the desert and just getting water was a bitch.
"Ritual Baths" does not imply "everyday bathing" by any stretch.
I'm not knockin' them: it's the same story today in the middle east (where water's a scarcity and better used for keeping yourself alive and hydrated).

You're awfully bitter for a newbie. [Big Grin]
Soon your journey to the darkside will be complete...

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Mountain Man
Ex-Member

None of the cities in the ancient world could have existed without access to water. The problems with water there today are because of the much greater size of the cities. Jesus was a holyman and teacher. Read the bible sometime. Every where he went the ritual of bathing the feet was performed. This is only one of many mentions of such rituals. People back then were as clean as they got the chance to be. If the Anti christians, and Anti semites want to think otherwise, then thats one more strike against their theories. BTW Where did you get the Idea that the holy land is a desert.
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

Anti-Christian?
Anti-Semite?
Man, you really are nuts.
Where are you getting that shit from?

Look at the "Holy Land" and you'll see the entire region is dry and freshwater (as stated in your linked article)is scarce.
And "as clean as they got the chance to be" is still not clean by our western standards, as I pointed out.

Climb off your religous high-horse for five minutes are read what others are writing before getting insane and defensive, okay?

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

This topic comprises 14 pages: 1  2  3  ...  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps