Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » Separation of Church and State, part whatever (Page 9)

This topic comprises 14 pages: 1  2  3  ...  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14   
Author Topic: Separation of Church and State, part whatever
Mountain Man
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can try to dig it up for you. This is not some new theory that I found on some rant page. It is a historical fact. In the mean time look up some of the other things I have mentioned. I find it hard to believe that the basic day to day things that were part of Roman and Greek history could have slipped past most of the people here. There has certainly been enough of it mentioned on the history channel and other educational programs lately. Thinking that all ancient people lived like pigs is kind of lame.
IP: Logged
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nobody ever said they lived like pigs, just that they smelled (by today's standards).
Add to that the fact that Jesus did not come from a wealthy family or from a wealthy region.
They were hicks by the standards of Rome. [Wink]

And yes, Jesus was Chinese. Tellin' you, he went back to China as a teen, learned Buddahism and based his cult on that. [Big Grin]

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I find it hard to believe that the basic day to day things that were part of Roman and Greek history could have slipped past most of the people here.
Sorry to come all over DT (a disturbing image in itself), but. . .

Lee: Honours degree in Ancient History
Mountain Man: Watched the History Channel this one time

Oh, I've wasted my life. 8)

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No wonder you seem so back dated.......
Mountain Man
Ex-Member

Just checked out a few pages found that the town closest to Jesus home in Gallilee has been very well researched by archaeologist. Baths were not only common but required by the Jews in order to maintain purity in body and soul. Still digging found the socalled recreation of his appearance. Very poor science there. Might as well have called it Barabas. Like I've said religion is not my bag but all the politicaly correct bull that goes into Christ Bashing,I find kind of silly. And the way people seem to ignore the mechanics of history,and the way societies have evolved,Well it's kind of self defeating in the long run. A craftsman in those days was not low class anymore than a true craftsman is today.

[ September 02, 2003, 03:24 AM: Message edited by: Mountain Man ]

Mountain Man
Ex-Member

Lee anyone with an honors degree in history who never heard of a roman bath should sue whatever school they went to. Personaly history and anthopology were not my majors but I did not fall asleep in class so I learned a bit more than most. My senior thesis was on Roman armour and weapons.P.S. don't let my poor typing skill fool you. The University of Tennessee is no backwater junior colledge. I earned my sholarship and it wasn't by playing football.BTW I like to watch educational TV better than some of the other mind numbing crap that fills up the air ways. People have to realize that the world doesn't quit turning when they leave school always something new being found.
Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"college"

First-hand account? And through exactly how many hands has that account been?

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

Lee
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Son, y'all gonna want to do a whole mess o'backpeddlin' right about now, you hear? I'm feeling really chilled right now, going to Italy this weekend, spend a few days in Venice then Tuscany, maybe go diving off Elba if I get the chance. But that doesn't mean I won't go medieval on you given half the chance.

So, sit back, deep breaths, lighten up. You don't turn up at a bulletin board that's been around in one form or another for seven years, dive right in to the section devoted to controversial debates, and expect to get away unscathed.

Now. . .

quote:
Lee anyone with an honors degree in history who never heard of a roman bath should sue whatever school they went to.
Did I say I've never heard of a Roman bath? I've been to Roman baths - their ruins, that is. Have you?

quote:
Personaly history and anthopology were not my majors but I did not fall asleep in class so I learned a bit more than most. My senior thesis was on Roman armour and weapons.
Interesting. Hardly rocket science, but still it must have been fun. I did structural changes during the history of the Hadrianic and Antonine walls in Southern Scotland.

--------------------

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like pie. [Wink]

...and girls. (no Shik jokes, please)

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Lee
Member # 393

Jason Biggs jokes, then?

--------------------

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
By stereotypical Jewish appearance, does that mean hooked noses and furtive glances? Because, if it does, well.
Lee
Member # 393

I was thinking more of pie-shagging, in fact.

--------------------

Mountain Man
Ex-Member

We must compare notes sometime. As far as backpedaling goes, when people make remarks that try to denigrate others, they leave themselves wide open. If your view of how people lived in ancient times comes from your schooling then not much can change that now. My viewpoint remains the same. We agree to disagree. Certainly not my place to point out any shortcomings in your education. Jesus smelled no worse and probably a great deal better than the average person today. Thats not so difficult to understand, if you know anything about the way people lived back then. Misconceptions about this sort of thing are common. They come from lack of interest in the study of the details of history.P.S. don't get all bent out of shape, and be carefull on your little vacation. While you are in Tuscany ask the first person you meet if Jesus stank. You may learn the true meaning of the term going Medieval.
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, I don't think that Lee has said anything at all regarding Jesus' personal hygiene. Although I'm too busy imagining him coming over all DT to concentrate fully.
Mountain Man
Ex-Member

More a misunderstanding, Brought on in part by my lack of typing skills and poor grammar. Writing was never my strong suit,and a medical condition makes it hard to do well now. I watch the history channel, but that is not where I got my education. If anyone has something to say on a subject, I am more than happy to hear their point of view. Unfortunatly far too many people let the details of a subject slip past them, and this leads to the sort of misunderstandings that make any rational disscussion dificult.
  This topic comprises 14 pages: 1  2  3  ...  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps