Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » Can Church Define Public Policy? (Page 7)

This topic comprises 11 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11   
Author Topic: Can Church Define Public Policy?
The Talented Mr. Gurgeh
Member # 318

- posted      Profile for The Talented Mr. Gurgeh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well it seems Omega has received quite a thorough slap on the wrists. Just makes me realize that one of the reasons I'd hate to be a religious fundamentalist is that religions must be so bloody hard to defend.

Also, Shik, I'm curious as to exactly what your beliefs are. I know it's something to do with reincarnation, along with some kind of zodiac element, I'm guessing?

--------------------
"Out of doubt, out of dark to the day's rising
I came singing in the sun, sword unsheathing.
To hope's end I rode and to heart's breaking:
Now for wrath, now for ruin and a red nightfall!"

The Battle of the Pelennor Fields.

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's primarily founded on the "sentient universe" concept, Gurgeh. There's a lot going in & on there. I'm planning a page on my site for it "toot sweet"--I'll let you & other sknow about it when it's finished. I'd planned to slap it up here for general ridicule anyway.

Omega: I don't need salvation, I need SALVE. It's fucking HOT here.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Omega:
Have you sinned EVER in your ENTIRE life? Then you're a sinner.

Define "sin." What's bad to YOU is not necessarily bad to me.

I'm in a miserabvle fucking mood now. And I will be for the whole weekend. Yeah.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, you did admit to murdering someone.

quote:
Originally posted by Omega:
The Old Testament is called that for a reason: it no longer applies.

quote:
Originally posted by Tom:
Good to hear that you've dropped your nonsensical belief in Adam and Eve and seven-day Creation.

Yes. That puts him on par with the Catholic Church, the least modern mainstream church in the country.

Soon, we'll drag him kicking and screaming in to the 1900s.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, it's nice to know Omega no longer believes in Creation.

But -- wait! -- I think he'll find a way to explain Creationism. I mean, he still thinks the universe is 6,000 years old or so.

quote:

A man driving down a deserted stretch of highway notices a sign out of the corner of his eye:

SISTERS OF ST.FRANCIS
HOUSE OF PROSTITUTION
10 MILES

Thinking it was just a figment of his imagination he drives on without a second thought. Soon, he sees another sign:

SISTERS OF ST. FRANCIS
HOUSE OF PROSTITUTION
5 MILES

He begins to realize that these signs are real. He then drives past a third sign:

SISTERS OF ST. FRANCIS
HOUSE OF PROSTITUTION
NEXT RIGHT

His curiosity gets the best of him and he pulls into the drive. On the far side of the parking lot is a somber stone building with a small sign next to the door:

SISTERS OF ST. FRANCIS

He climbs the steps and rings the bell. The door is answered by a nun in a long black habit who asks. "What may we do for you, my son?"

He answers, " I saw your signs along the highway, and was interested in possibly doing business."

"Very well, my son. Please follow me."

He is led through many winding passages and is soon quite disoriented.

The nun stops at a closed door, and tells the man. "Please knock on this door. " He does as he is told and this door is answered by another nun in a long habit, holding a plate. This nun instructs, "Please place $50 in the plate, then go through the large wooden door at the end of this hallway."

He gets $50 out of his wallet, places it in the plate, trots eagerly down the hall, and slips through the door pulling it shut behind him.

As the door locks behind him, he finds himself back in the parking lot, facing another small sign:

GO IN PEACE
YOU HAVE JUST BEEN SCREWED
BY THE SISTERS OF ST. FRANCIS

[ August 09, 2001: Message edited by: MeGotBeer ]

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have that joke. Only in my version, it's the Sisters of Mercy.
Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, Omega never judges.

Of course, on 8/1/01 at 11:45pm, Omega said "That's dumb" regarding this statement:

As for the tax rates, they should be cut for lower income residents and raised for higher income.

That's a judgement.

Then, on 8/8/01 at 1:34am, Omega, referring to a rant in this thread, said "Oh, the one on page four rocks. Total irrationality."

That would be a judgement as well, would it not?

Of course, this whole discussion is pointless. Also on 8/8/01, at 2:07am, Omega admits that "I didn't say I had evidence of that, did I? You're changing the subject again." in response to my point: "Okay: what's your evidence of in the belief of the Christian God?"

HAH! He admitted it! NO EVIDENCE! Excellent. I rock.

Omega, you can check all this in the "History" of ICQ. It's all there.

Rob: are you agnostic or athiest?

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't judge the relative worth of people, due to the fact that we're all sinners. That WAS the topic in question, no?

Other than that, I can judge all I want. For example, I judge you to be a total idiot. I base this on evidence that I have gathered over the past year.

HAH! He admitted it! NO EVIDENCE! Excellent. I rock.

I never claimed that I had incontravertable evidence as to the nature of God. I can prove the EXISTENCE of a god, but I can't prove its nature. I mean, for all I really KNOW, God's a total sadist, and is just messing with my head. But believing that won't get me anywhere, now will it?

Shik:

Define "sin."

That which is not in accordance with the will of God.

What's bad to YOU is not necessarily bad to me.

Again with the relative morality...

Gurgeh:

Just makes me realize that one of the reasons I'd hate to be a religious fundamentalist is that religions must be so bloody hard to defend.

Quite easy, actually. It's just that a lot of people don't actually listen to your defense, so it doesn't help all that much to make one.

Tim:

No I don't.

In your opinion.

Tom:

Good to hear that you've dropped your nonsensical belief in Adam and Eve and seven-day Creation.

And how do you derrive that from what I said?

Off the top of my head, how about the time you said that Jubes and her eeeevil Wiccan ways would not be saved unless she "followed you."

That applies to everyone else, too, and it's straight out of the Bible. Hardly my judging someone. "You don't do this. According to the Bible, this is the consequence." Simple enough.

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

OnToMars
Now on to the making of films!
Member # 621

- posted      Profile for OnToMars     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That applies to everyone else, too, and it's straight out of the Bible. Hardly my judging someone. "You don't do this. According to the Bible, this is the consequence." Simple enough.

Which is a judgement, genius. You're really startin to piss me off, Omega.

--------------------
If God didn't want us to fly, he wouldn't have given us Bernoulli's Principle.

Shik
Member # 343

All "morality" is relative. Didn't we go through this on page 3 or 4?

You can be violently assraped for eating beef in India. Think about that.

--------------------

Evolved
Member # 389

- posted      Profile for Evolved     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can prove the EXISTENCE of a god

What?!

I thought the point of a belief in God, gods, or a god was based on faith, meaning no proof needed. However, this is just what I have been waiting for! Please, prove that a god exists. I assume you mean god as in "a being conceived as the perfect, omnipotent, omniscient originator and ruler of the universe, the principal object of faith and worship in monotheistic religions" as defined by dictionary.com and not a force like time or something like that, correct?

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Interesting... In eight millennia of civilization, no-one's been able to prove the existence of a god, yet Omega claims he suddenly can. Well, I guess we'd better start rolling out the Nobel Prize, eh?
Da_bang80
A few sectors short of an Empire
Member # 528

- posted      Profile for Da_bang80     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't think the church should efine public policy. it should however, be able to influence it. by the people that follow said religion. the church shouldn't be able to walk into the senate. and say "this is how it's gonna be". but the people who follow the church who believe in the church's ideals. they are citizens also, and should get a say.

--------------------
Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change.
The courage to change the things I cannot accept.
And the wisdom to hide the bodies of all the people I had to kill today because they pissed me off.

Remember when your parents told you it's dangerous to play in traffic?

The Talented Mr. Gurgeh
Member # 318

- posted      Profile for The Talented Mr. Gurgeh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

And how do you derrive that from what I said?

In an earlier post you said this, Omega:
quote:
The Old Testament is called that for a reason: it no longer applies.

You also implied that I/we don't listen to your defense. This isn't true. As a rational person I'll listen to any defense. You're mistaking that fact that I contradict your defense with not listening to your defense.

--------------------

The Talented Mr. Gurgeh
Member # 318

BTW Omega, when you say God created the world in 7 days, a few thousand years ago, do you believe that the whole universe was created then, or just Earth?

--------------------

This topic comprises 11 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps