Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » 2 planes just hit the world trade center in new york (Page 18)

This topic comprises 19 pages: 1  2  3  ...  15  16  17  18  19   
Author Topic: 2 planes just hit the world trade center in new york
Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Jay the Obscure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
There's a non-sequitor if I ever heard one. Nuclear submarines didn't stop these attacks, either. Should we cut funding for those? Or how 'bout we scuttle all the aircraft carriers? They didn't do much good against these attacks, either.

Funding for the Mint didn't help either. Nor did funding for the White House janitorial staff.

Things are supposed to do what they are designed to do, and your examples are prime examples of the non sequitur you keep calling other people on.

The so called missile shield is supposed to stop potential nuclear, or other missile attacks on the United States.

Tuesday's events showed a determined foe doesn't need a missile to launch an attack. In other words, this missile shield has so many holes in it that sea sponges are jealous.

The missile shield, the Maginot Line of American policy, is usless.

[ September 15, 2001: Message edited by: Jay the Obscure ]

--------------------
Great is the guilt of an unnecessary war.
~ohn Adams

Once again the Bush Administration is worse than I had imagined, even though I thought I had already taken account of the fact that the Bush administration is invariably worse than I can imagine.
~Brad DeLong

You're just babbling incoherently.
~C. Montgomery Burns

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, it's not, because it will stop missiles. I consider that a very good and worthy use. How 'bout you?

your examples are prime examples of the non sequitur you keep calling other people on.

Yes, and that's exactly why I used them as examples. It's called "sarcasm".

Tuesday's events showed a determined foe doesn't need a missile to launch an attack.

*gasp*

He DOESN'T? You mean there are other ways to attack someone BESIDES NUCLEAR MISSILES???
No kidding, Jay. A missile shield is designed to stop missiles. Nothing else. This incident has nothing to do with missiles, and is thus not related to the concept of a missile shield.

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sigh. Here we go again...

-Missile shield is supposed to stop incoming ICBM's. Nothing else. However...

-...Missile shield is technically flawed and could only stop a handful in any scenario. Also easily overwhelmed. Besides...

-...Any rogue state would think twice before launching ICBM's since it would mean (M!)AD. Therefore...

-...Only one credible threat left; terrorists attacking with nukes. But...

-...Terrorists wouldn't use missiles to deliver them. They would put 'm in trucks, boats, and planes. So...

-...Missile shield is total waste of money and would collect dust after being completed.

Did I manage to penetrate that 5 inch thick concrete wall that's in front of your head, Omega? Nah, probably not.

[ September 15, 2001: Message edited by: IDIC ]

Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Jay the Obscure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*sigh*

I tried to be reasonable and present something calmly. Too bad it's such a hot button issue.

Take the rest of the SDI stuff to the Flameboard.

[ September 15, 2001: Message edited by: Jay the Obscure ]

--------------------
Great is the guilt of an unnecessary war.
~ohn Adams

Once again the Bush Administration is worse than I had imagined, even though I thought I had already taken account of the fact that the Bush administration is invariably worse than I can imagine.
~Brad DeLong

You're just babbling incoherently.
~C. Montgomery Burns

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's great, it starts with an earthquake, something and something and Lenny Bruce is not afraid.
Veers
You first
Member # 661

- posted      Profile for Veers         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just came back (about 5 hours ago) from a sort of town hall meeting with Congressman Tom Barrett (Wisonsin congressman and governor candidate, Democrat), and he says he doesn't support Bush on a variety of topics, yet he is the US president whether we like it or not. He thinks the Star Wars defense system's funds should be used for counter-terrorism. I agree, in this time of crisis. Terrorists would not launch missiles, rather use them in truck- or car-bombs or on airplanes.

Anyway, this tells us politicians have pretty much the same viewpoints as us, the hard-working American citizens. It felt a lot like the news room at the meeting, with everyone talking about what should happen and what we should do.

--------------------
Meh

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Veers,

There is an entire thread devoted to SDI. Did you not see it? This really belongs there with that.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

bX
Stopped. Smelling flowers.
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sol System:
That's great, it starts with an earthquake, something and something and Lenny Bruce is not afraid.

Sol System, that would be '...birds, snakes and aeroplanes...' An interesting omission.

--------------------
"Nah. The 9th chevron is for changing the ringtone from "grindy-grindy chonk-chonk" to the theme tune to dallas." -Reverend42

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
You've really got no place to speak about partisan bitching, considering your comments regarding Gore.

Ah... HAHAHAA! Oh, I see, you're making a joke!

Well, I wouldn't DO it if you weren't so damn DEFENSIVE about it! (and you should be wondering WHY you're so damn defensive about it.)

Observe... The 'partisan sniping' about Gore:

quote:
I thank whatever gods there are that GORE isn't president. I can see it now...
"I helped BUILD the World Trade Center..."
"This dust from the debris is bad for the environment. We need new regulations against erecting buildings made from concrete" (Clinton sticks his head into frame: "Heh-heh... you said 'erecting'... heh-heh-heh.")
"I feel your pain."
"This is part of the vast right-wing conspiracy."

54 words, not counting the Clinton bit (14 words), all of which was clearly humorous in intent, if not in quality.

Compare to...

quote:
You've really got no place to speak about partisan bitching, considering your comments regarding Gore.
On WBAL 1090AM in Baltimore last night, Bruce and his listeners and caller-ins spent four hours talking about Clinton's appearance in New York. FOUR FUCKING HOURS. How many people are dead? And it seems like all the Republicans want to do is cry about Clinton. Jesus Christ people, get over yourselves. The citizens don't want to hear more Republicans crying about the ex-President, they want to find out how they can help with the disasters in Arlington and New York, and what we're going to do about this. You know, you guys are only making yourselves look like dividers. And you're acting like pricks. At least 5,000 people are dead. Could you at least act like you'd rather worry about helping the rescue efforts, and not use this opportunity to scream at Bill Clinton? I know if I was one of the dead, I'd be really pissed off if my death was being used for no other reason then another reason for Republicans to cry about what an evil man Bill Clinton is.

189 words, entirely of complaining, and of no humorous content whatsoever. You spent more than three times the time and effort I have, and you weren't even FUNNY! 'Partisan bitching' my arse.

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Several hours on WBAL bitching about Clinton. I exerted maybe five minutes typing that post.

Speaking of which, I know Omega inquired, it turns out George W. Bush sent an Air Force jet to Australia to retrieve Bill Clinton (he'd asked how Clinton got back into the US).

You'll also notice that in my post, I'm not attacking politicians, with the purpose of humerous or serious commentary. I'm attacking people who spend time bitching about Clinton's appearance in NYC (pro & con) instead of focusing on what is important.

Nyah-nyah!

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, 18 pages before descending into a partisan bitch fest has got to be a record. But it's still a partisan bitch fest. Only Warning.

<Dead or Alive> Watch Out [or] Here I['ll] Come </Dead or Alive>

(and, if I may take off my mod's hat, First's jokes suck. Even the sound of Liam offloading a rather large stool would be funnier.)

[ September 18, 2001: Message edited by: The_Tom ]

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No argument there, the jokes were suck.

Still, I was accused of 'partisan bitching' when I clearly wasn't.

So.

--------------------
"The best defense is not a good offense. The best defense is a terrifyingly accurate and devastatingly powerful offense, with multiply-overlapping kill zones and time-on-target artillery strikes." -- Laurence, Archangel of the Sword

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

I may have been overly sensitized to attacks on politicians regardless of ideology because of the WBAL spot (I mean, c'mon, four hours about Clinton in NYC? Ridiculous).

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Last time I checked, no one here is a radio station. Well, sometimes I can pick up Krenim's thoughts on my fillings, but I've always assumed that was part of some mad experiment on his part.
Kosh
Perpetual Member
Member # 167

- posted      Profile for Kosh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

Well, sometimes I can pick up Krenim's thoughts on my fillings, but I've always assumed that was part of some mad experiment on his part.

Sorry about that Sol, It's part of the HBN[Hillbilly Broadcast Network), part of our plan to take... Umm, I'm not supposed to talk about that. (Damn)

--------------------
Sparky::
Think!
Question Authority, Authoritatively.
“Believe nothing of what you hear, and only half of what you see.”
EMSparks

Shalamar:
To save face, keep lower half shut.

This topic comprises 19 pages: 1  2  3  ...  15  16  17  18  19   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps