Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » I need story ideas, and opinions on one I already have (Page 3)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: I need story ideas, and opinions on one I already have
Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, we figured that there wasn't much way to do a comedy, so...

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But, if it had been named before the anti-religion regime took over, and these leaders wanted to eradicate all semblance of Christianity, wouldn't they rename anything w/ "saint" in it? Wouldn't they be afraid of something like this?:

child: "Why is the hospital named 'Saint Somewhere'? What does that mean?"
adult: "It's named after a person."
child: "Who was Saint Somewhere?"
adult: "A very bad person who devoted his life to evil beliefs."
child: "Then why did they name a hospital after him?"
adult: "Er... Um... Shut up, kid! *thwap!*"

Omega
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe the person's last name was "St. Somewhere". Not everyone with St. in their name actually was canonized. [Smile]

Of course, I might add a bit of symmetry to the line...

"Welcome to the psychiatric ward of St. Somewhere. Of course, when I worked here, it was called [insert amusing secular name]. And, in a few days, it'll be known as a pile of rubble."

I think I like that...

[ January 18, 2002: Message edited by: Omega ]

--------------------

OnToMars
Now on to the making of films!
Member # 621

- posted      Profile for OnToMars     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is there anyway you could at least TRY to present two sides of an argument? At all??

And there's really no conflict to it. Drama is conflict. Without conflict, you don't have a play. It's all too easy.

$$$$ Omega's play spoilers $$$$

|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|

Lady checks in, lady gives them book, they read, they conquer the planet. The end. Someting needs to oppose them to make a good conflict. Maybe they resist, but the patients revolt against it. Maybe the grandfather was a patient who was part of the rebellion. Or if you want to be more traditional, maybe one of the other attendees resisted and held firm to the secular philosophy, and threatened to turn them in to Big Brother.

Also, the dialogue could use a little tightening. Try to listen to the way people talk in real life, today, around you and imitate that style.

Oh, and watch "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest" for an awesome psych ward movie.

[ January 18, 2002: Message edited by: OnToMars ]

--------------------
If God didn't want us to fly, he wouldn't have given us Bernoulli's Principle.

Omega
Member # 91

Is there anyway you could at least TRY to present two sides of an argument? At all??

The other side of the argument being that facism is a good thing? That the invariably resulting horrors are not quite so horrible, and not a thing to be avoided?

I find it difficult to present, as a rational argument, that which is not one.

And there's really no conflict to it. Drama is conflict. Without conflict, you don't have a play.

We didn't have such a conflict last year and we won. [Smile]

Remember, we've got, like, ten minutes to do this. This isn't "Lord of the Rings". It's just a short morality play.

Also, the dialogue could use a little tightening. Try to listen to the way people talk in real life, today, around you and imitate that style.

I did that. I specifically avoided using my own speech patterns. [Smile]

Any specific area you think needs work with that?

--------------------

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
He can't present the other side of the arguement, because that would defeat the purpose of his play entirely. It's not drama. It only exists to say "Look! Yahweh == good! Anyone who tells you otherwise == bad! Convert them before they convert you!".

"It's just a short morality play."

Or, as the the rest of the world calls it, "propaganda". :-)

OnToMars
Now on to the making of films!
Member # 621

- posted      Profile for OnToMars     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bearing in mind this is going against my better judgement and my policy of encouraging the oppression of rationality. I do however support the propogation of art as an examination of humanity. Even if the examination is flawed.

quote:
The other side of the argument being that facism is a good thing? That the invariably resulting horrors are not quite so horrible, and not a thing to be avoided?
The other side that secular government might not be such a horrible thing.

quote:
I find it difficult to present, as a rational argument, that which is not one.

I won't say it...I won't say it...I won't say it...

quote:
We didn't have such a conflict last year and we won.
Well, I doubt it's the Pulitzer committee you're trying to win over. [Smile]

quote:
Well, why were they in here, then?
Well or then. One or the other.

quote:
But� but� how�
But...how? Stuttering usually doesn't work out.

Generally, tightening dialogue is really just getting rid of unneccessary so's, well's, then's, etc.

Anyway, you got five scenes, which is a pretty substantial one act play. It's tough to pull off, but good stuff can be written in one act. Nobody's expecting you to be Samuel Beckett, but hey, there's always room for improvement.

*patiently awaiting the Quantum Leap joke*

--------------------
If God didn't want us to fly, he wouldn't have given us Bernoulli's Principle.

Omega
Member # 91

The other side that secular government might not be such a horrible thing.

Considering that it invariably has been so, from Julius Caesar to Jaing Zamin, I'd say there's very little chance of that. Once a government decides that it's all-powerful, and answers to no higher morality, you're screwed. Which is, coincidencly, the entire point of the skit. Look at Nuremburg. The entire premise of that trial was that all people everywhere are answerable to a higher authority than their government.

How do you think the Roman empire deteriorated so far that the barbarians could take it out? Because it became an empire! Under the Republic, back when it had a healthy respect for morality, is where it gained its power, but once the government stopped being answerable to a higher morality, they also stopped being answerable to the people. Then everything started disintegrating, starting with the inflation of the money supply and working down from there all the way to people watching murder for sport.

Well or then. One or the other

Yes, that might be good grammer, but people in my part of the country use such terminology as I wrote frequently.

Generally, tightening dialogue is really just getting rid of unneccessary so's, well's, then's, etc.

Yeah, but people USE those unneccessary so's and well's. It doesn't quite sound real otherwise.

It only exists to say "Look! Yahweh == good! Anyone who tells you otherwise == bad! Convert them before they convert you!".

Actually, I have the purpose of the play writtein on the cover sheet for the copy of the script that we hand the judges:

"To illustrate the necessity of God in the moral functioning of a country; to illustrate that any country anywhere is susceptible to the false premise that true law and morality flows from government mandate, instead of from God, a premise which has caused untold destruction throughout history"

Recommended reading:

"Ancient Rome: How It Affects You Today" by Richard Maybury
"What Ever Happened To Justice?" by Richard Maybury

Very good books. Read. You may learn a thing or six about facism, and how, regardless of how many different countries try it, it's still a bad idea.

--------------------

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
"To illustrate the necessity of God in the moral functioning of a country; to illustrate that any country anywhere is susceptible to the false premise that true law and morality flows from government mandate, instead of from God, a premise which has caused untold destruction throughout history."
And of course, there couldn't possibly be a moral standard - or form of justice - without christianity.

[ January 19, 2002: Message edited by: Cartman ]

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I STILL want to know what facism is.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Omega
Member # 91

It seems to have lost whatever its original definition was, much like "conservative" and "liberal" in the US. The current definition, as I use it here, is that facism is a system under which there is no guiding philosophy. The government has no limits, and no rules. It does whatever is deemed "necessary", and since the government determines what's "necessary", they have all power. Most governments today follow this form.

--------------------

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We've certainly seen lots of it in the practices of the John Ashcroft Department of Justice since 9/11.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Omega
Member # 91

You keep claiming that, and you keep neglecting to say exactly what the frell you're talking about.

But that's for the flameboard. Let's drop it.

--------------------

Omega
Member # 91

And of course, there couldn't possibly be a moral standard - or form of justice - without christianity.

Christianity? Did I mention Christianity in my script? Must have missed that... [Wink]

--------------------

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, Omega, both Jay and I have discussed it in detail, in the flameboard. You really should pay more attention to threads you participate in.

Here for example.

[ January 19, 2002: Message edited by: Malnurtured Snay ]

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps