Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » (No $$) Nemesis has tanked... (Page 6)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: (No $$) Nemesis has tanked...
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I sure hope Worf gets two checks!

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, he would. He'd get the equivalent of 11 seasons of Star Trek residuals. For many, many years to come.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just went to see it again. . . Not easy! Very few cinemas are still showing it, and even then only a couple of screenings a day - whereas Die Another Day, Two Towers and even Like Mike (the highlight of UK cinema releases the day Nemesis opened in the States) continue to enjoy full daily programmes. This is after two weeks, so oh yeah, it's tanked. . .

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Saiyanman Benjita
...in 2012. This time, why not the worst?
Member # 122

- posted      Profile for Saiyanman Benjita     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The problem I have with many of these arguments is the corellation to other movies. Really, the only judge of whether a movie such as this has tanked is by comparing it to the other Trek movies.

Making $100 million in the first weekend should not be even a consideration. The best drawing Trek movie only accumulated about $110 overall! So, you shouln't even be comparing this with a LOTR or Star Wars, or any Pretty Woman-remake type chick flick.

The ratings are low for Star Trek movies, because they always have been. Star Trek movies are many times just two hour episodes with closed ends. The average 4-star rating for a Trek movie is about 1 1/2 stars. There is no surprise that Trek movies don't do well in the box office by comparison.

I think that if it flopps as a Trek movie, it is only due to two reasons: The watered-down Trek market that feels that it has to throw a movie out every 2-3 years, and the absolute atrocity known as Insurrection. Overall, the movie is at or slightly above average for a Trek movie. When the box office finally closes, it should make a profit enough to make Paramount happy.

--------------------
You've got to be kidding!
I'm wet, I'm naked, your sister is wearing my clothes
And this is all part of some evil plot to rule the world as a soggy chimp in my BIRTHDAY SUIT???!!!

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Except it's been, what, thirty years since Insurrection came out?
capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
thirty seven.

of course, many of those years were 2001, i can't tell.. i was pretty fucked up.

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Score!

My point, anyway, is that there was a greater than usual gap between Insurrection and Nemesis, and thus, whatever faults Nemesis might have, being too close to the last film is not, I think, one of them.

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think a common factor in all of this might be Berman and Braga - although I'm beginning to wonder if it's not the but the Viacom suits. When they combined with Paramount - things went gah gah.

--------------------

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

Oh yeah. Thank God First Contact wasn't produced or cowritten by either of those two knuckleheads.

Not to mention how involved Brannon Braga was with Nemesis.

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

I *SAID* I'm beginning to think it's NOT them - but the Paramount/Viacom suits. *sheesh*.

ANYWAY - I think the MAIN problem is when it was released. It was a BAD move - just after Harry Potter, and just before the Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers...

CRAZY move.

They should have put it on around now, or in the next few weeks. It seems to be a slow movie-release time at the moment. It starts here on February 6 - so for once being behind might have its advantages.

--------------------

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Their money.

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

I believe this is a slow period for film releases because nobody goes to see movies right now. Action films start in late spring. Dramas need to be released in the fall and winter or else the Academy forgets they exist. Of course, I suppose one could argue that no one sees movies in the early part of the year because the only movies released are bog-awful, but this would seem to be a cycle of debate not easily resolved.

quote:
I think a common factor in all of this might be Berman and Braga
Who, as I pointed out, are not a "common factor" any way you slice it. You can scan the Nemesis credits for Brannon Braga for hours, but you won't find him there.
AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

I think the thing is - that with Nemesis the 'semi-fans' didn't turn out to the movie because they were occupied with other movies like TTT and Harry Potter.

Nemesis NOW would have been the one shining light of action/adventure/space/sci-fi/trek-ness out at this time (well NEW out at this time).

Andrew

--------------------

Obi Juan
Who's your master?
Member # 90

- posted      Profile for Obi Juan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by AndrewR:
It was a BAD move

Or perhaps just a bad movie.

My own personal feelings about the flick aside, critics didn't like it and it didn't seem to get that great of word of mouth from the non hardcore trek fan populace. Given those factors, I don't think it would've done that great no matter when it was released. That being said, I do agree that they couldn't have released it at a worse time.

--------------------
"Existence is random. Has no pattern save what we imagine after staring at it too long. No meaning save what we choose to impose. This rudderless world is not shaped by vague metaphysical forces. It is not God who kills the children. Not fate that butchers them or destiny that feeds them to the dogs. It?s us. Only us."
Rorschach

Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm thinking that the later release will perhaps doom Nemesis to the gutter. After hearing of the tank drop over at the Americas, I wouldn't be surprised if the delayed-release theatres start abandoning this film in droves. Perhaps the odd one with about 20 people inside per showing and that's it.

--------------------
"And slowly, you come to realize, it's all as it should be, you can only do so much. If you're game enough, you could place your trust in me. For the love of life, there's a tradeoff, we could lose it all but we'll go down fighting...." - David Sylvian
FreeSpace 2, the greatest space sim of all time, now remastered!

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps