Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » (No $$) Nemesis has tanked... (Page 3)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: (No $$) Nemesis has tanked...
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The extra length means I don't have to rush so quickly to get to the theater before the show starts.
MrNeutron
Member # 524

- posted      Profile for MrNeutron     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Regarding trailers, Mim suggests there used to be even more of them before a film than there are today. That isn't my recollection. It seems like it's more and more all the time. I sure don't recall even 10 minutes of trailers from when I saw films in the 70s. Anyone have different recollections?

If I'm recalling correctly, in ye olden days before TV, trailers were typically shown after the first film in a double bill, along with the newsreels and cartoons.

--------------------
"Well, I mean, it's generally understood that, of all of the people in the world, Mike Nelson is the best." -- ULTRA MAGNUS, steadfast in curmudgeon

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Regardless of precisely where in the showing schedule they were located, trailers were (probably) the most fundamental part of advertising upcoming movies prior to television. So I'm a-thinking there were probably more of them. Even though, needless to say, I never went to see a movie in the 1930s or 40s. [Razz]

And regardless of whether there are more now than at other times or vice-versa, it still maintain the opinion that LOTS OF TRAILERS ARE A GOOD THING.

-MMoM [Big Grin]

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Because they give you plenty of time to get snacks.
Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Proteus:
Hey you bunch of clown boats...

I said GOOD. PERIOD. YOUR OPINION MATTERS NOT!

*sigh* Glad that's sorted out. We can all go home now.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

MrNeutron
Member # 524

- posted      Profile for MrNeutron     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Generally speaking, the moment the trailers (and, in many places, commercials -- ugh) start, that's when I make my pre-film bathroom run. [Big Grin]

--------------------
"Well, I mean, it's generally understood that, of all of the people in the world, Mike Nelson is the best." -- ULTRA MAGNUS, steadfast in curmudgeon

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like the ads and previews - since it allows me 15 minutes lee-way - cause I'm always late! [Smile]

"We're drawing up a plan for world domination - the key element... coffee-makers that think"

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MrNeutron:
Generally speaking, the moment the trailers (and, in many places, commercials -- ugh) start, that's when I make my pre-film bathroom run. [Big Grin]

Well, commercials definitely = bad, but trailers = good. [Big Grin]
MrNeutron
Member # 524

quote:
Originally posted by The Mighty Monkey of Mim:
Well, commercials definitely = bad, but trailers = good. [Big Grin]

Last time I checked they were both advertisements! [Big Grin]

Merry Christmas to you.

--------------------

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
Member # 646

Yes, but one is advertising movies. Can't you see? MOVIES! And movies = cool. (A good part of the time, any way.) [Razz]

Happy holidays to you and your K & K.

-MMoM [Big Grin]

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"And movies = cool. (A good part of the time, any way.)"

I suspect a fairly good arguement can be made against this.

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, but trailers can make even films like The Fifth Element look good.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

MrNeutron
Member # 524

quote:
Originally posted by PsyLiam:
Yes, but trailers can make even films like The Fifth Element look good.

I'm sure we can think of more pertinent examples. Nemesis, maybe? [Big Grin]

--------------------

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But The Fifth Element is a great movie!

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

Austin Powers
Slightly warped
Member # 250

- posted      Profile for Austin Powers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yep.

And I also agree with Mim, I can't get enough of Trailers.
Fortunately in all the cinemas I have been to, commercials come first (time to get snacks, visit the "Gents", etc) and after that the trailers start. Sometimes more sometimes less, but before every movie I went to there were at least two or three trailers. Once there were about eight which was GREAT!! Period.

--------------------
Lister: Don't give me the "Star Trek" crap! It's too early in the morning.
- Red Dwarf "The Last Day"

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps