Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » "Essential" TOS Trek Episodes? (Page 4)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: "Essential" TOS Trek Episodes?
Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dude, seriously. Am I gonna have t'go up to Buffalo & deliver an asskicking?

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Sean
First Tenor
Member # 2010

- posted      Profile for Sean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
WHy would you want to do that?

--------------------
"Kosh, I'd like to introduce you to our Resident schmuck and his side kick Kick Me."-Ritten

"Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity".
-George Carlin

Daniel Butler
I'm a Singapore where is my boat
Member # 1689

- posted      Profile for Daniel Butler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Your sign is attracting him as moth to a flame.
Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sometimes it just is the right thing to do.

--------------------
"You are a terrible human, Ritten." Magnus
"Urgh, you are a sick sick person..." Austin Powers
A leek too, pretty much a negi.....

Sean
First Tenor
Member # 2010

- posted      Profile for Sean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh I get it... KICK ME....
I had better go load the Remington...

--------------------
"Kosh, I'd like to introduce you to our Resident schmuck and his side kick Kick Me."-Ritten

-George Carlin

The Ginger Beacon
Member # 1585

- posted      Profile for The Ginger Beacon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You're not old enough to shave.

--------------------
I have plenty of experience in biology. I bought a Tamagotchi in 1998... And... it's still alive.

Joshua Bell
Member # 327

- posted      Profile for Joshua Bell     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Daniel Butler:
I've bought MP3 players for $12. There's really no excuse for not having one [Wink] I had a tape player when I was 5 or 6...

And so it continues. My 5-year-old son has a 40GB MP3 player. I can only assume that the next step up is when he needs a phone and iPhone-equivalents are dirt cheap too.

What was the topic again? Oh...

Rather than picking specific episodes, I'd pick important themes and work backwards from that:

* Serious Kirk/Spock/McCoy episode
* Classic Klingons
* Classic Romulans
* 1960's social commentary
* High-concept SF
* Lowbrow humor
* Energy beings
* Kirk-outwits-computer-with-logic
* Time travel/Alternate universes

Skimming the episode list, I'd pick from these:

* Serious: Enemy Within, Amok Time, Paradise Syndrome, Galileo Seven
* Klingons: Day of the Dove, Errand of Mercy
* Romulans: Balance of Terror, Enterprise Incident
* 1960's: City..., Let That Be..., Omega Glory, Private Little War, Patterns of Force, The Cloud Minders, The Way to Eden
* High-concept: The Cage, WNMHGB, Metamorphosis
* Lowbrow: Mudd's Women, Catspaw, I, Mudd, Trouble With Tribbles, Spectre of the Gun, Piece of the Action, Shore Leave
* Energy beings: Charlie X, Who Mourns...,
* Computer: The Changeling, The Apple, Ultimate Computer
* TT/AU: Assignment: Earth, Return to Tomorrow, Mirror, Mirror, All Our Yesterdays

However... I'd reserve at least 3 of the 10 slots for "others", as to focus on these extremes misses the bulk of Star Trek. Something like Dagger of the Mind, Corbomite Maneuver, Journey to Babel or The Naked Time.

So pick specialty episodes that hit more than one topic - e.g. "Day of the Dove" lets you cross of Klingons and Energy Beings.

--------------------
http://www.calormen.com/Star_Trek/FAQs/

Sean
First Tenor
Member # 2010

Yeah, Mirror,Mirror is deffinately one for the list. And I was reffering to the shotgun. THe Remington, as opposed to the Winchester, or the Sears & Roebuck.

--------------------

-George Carlin

Daniel Butler
Member # 1689

- posted      Profile for Daniel Butler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think Squire of Gothos is a good energy being one - then she'll get that Futurama episode's joke [Razz]
Joshua Bell
Member # 327

- posted      Profile for Joshua Bell     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Daniel Butler:
then she'll get that Futurama episode's joke

Wow, okay, how many TOS episodes/films do you need to see to *really* get "Where No Fan..." ?

* "The Menagerie" (court marshal/witness chair)
* "City on the Edge of Forever" (the Guardian)
* "Spectre of the Gun" (fight in the old west)
* "Day of the Dove" (glowy energy being make people fight!)
* "Arena" (making stuff out of things; Vasquez Rocks)
* Star Trek II ("Bill, you are, and always shall be, my friend. But I just signed a six-month lease...")
* Star Trek IV ("Nu-cle-ar wessels")
* Star Trek V (Uhura's fan dance)
* "Squire of Gothos" (spoiled energy being)
* "Time Trap" (combine ships to escape)

(You also need "The Savage Curtain" to understand "Kif Gets Knocked Up A Notch" - Evil Lincoln, raaaaaarrrrrrr!!!!)

--------------------
http://www.calormen.com/Star_Trek/FAQs/

Daniel Butler
Member # 1689

Real simulated evil holographic Lincoln is back!!!

Point taken [Wink]

Sean
First Tenor
Member # 2010

Will he be shot by a real simulated nice holographic John Welkes-Booth?

--------------------

-George Carlin

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wilkes. And it's a middle name.
Sean
First Tenor
Member # 2010

Minor detail.

--------------------

-George Carlin

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, unless you've been going around referring to him as "Mr. Wilkes-Booth", which would make people think you are crazy.
  This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps